PDA

View Full Version : SRV 20 Years Later

marnold
August 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
20 years ago today, a helicopter carrying Stevie Ray Vaughan crashed into a hill here in my adopted state. I remember having a really crappy day at work when the word came on the radio that both he and Eric Clapton had been killed. The report was later revised to just SRV. The only good thing is that they spent the rest of the day playing his music. One can only wonder what direction his music would have taken, given some of the shifts already seen in "In Step" and his ordering of a Soldano SLO.

Like him or not, he is without a doubt one of the most influential blues guitarists of my generation. RIP, Stevie.

UdYRzH10L2M

Tone2TheBone
August 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM
R.I.P. Stevie Ray you are missed here on this planet. Put in a good word for us and thanks for the sounds.

duhvoodooman
August 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for posting this, Rev. Yep, 20 years ago today....doesn't seem possible. He accomplished so much as an artist in a mere 7 year-long recording career. Who knows where he would have taken his music had he lived longer?

He also deserves recognition for what he accomplished as a man--winning a life-or-death battle against alcohol and drug addiction, and then speaking out on the subject at all of his concerts. From what I've read, he was always willing to listen to and support someone else who was fighting the same demons he had successfully overcome.

Thanks, Stevie--for all the love you passed our way. 20 years now of "Life Without You"....

rUl0g8e4yLo

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I was reflecting on this date this morning. I really only heard of Stevie a little more than 20 years ago, and bought my first disc probably within a year or so before he passed. I, entering my young adult years, really enjoyed his stuff, and had wanted to go catch a concert, . . . but then the news came. Was not to be. I learned much more about him after his passing than before. He is certainly missed.

oldguy
August 27th, 2010, 02:04 PM
R.I.P. Stevie.
What an amazing life, cut far too short, much too soon.
Caught a break playing on a David Bowie tune, wouldn't ditch his bandmates for the corporate a-holes for cash, beat the demons he battled, and then got called home............. I guess somebody up there needed him worse than we did.

6kpkSRtcrR0

duhvoodooman
August 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Always loved the big smile he gives the crowd at the end of this tune.

6kpkSRtcrR0

Robert
August 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Learn from this, kids - don't take a helicopter to your next gig.

marnold
August 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
One of my favs. It's a cover, but not of Jimi!
wPDJicA816s

bigoldron
August 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hard to believe it's been 20 years. I remember the first time I ever saw or heard him. I was home and had Austin City Limits on and was thinking "this guy is pretty darn good" until he hit the first few notes of this:

CvtkUd0kkhU

And I knew right then I was watching greatness....

RIP Stevie. We miss you.

Tig
August 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Those who knew him best remembered how he suddenly sounded better than ever that night. I think he was just starting to get near his potential or peak.

http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/0011-stevie_ray_vaughan_18.jpg

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/%7Ebump/images/%7EOther%20Town%20Lake%20Area/Stevie%20Ray%20Vaughan%20Statue.jpg

duhvoodooman
August 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I can't see the video in Ron's posting above, so here's another shot at it:

CvtkUd0kkhU

bigoldron
August 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I can't see the video in Ron's posting above, so here's another shot at it:

CvtkUd0kkhU

Thanks, DVM. I couldn't get it to post correctly. But, yes, that WAS the song that turned me on to SRV. I was totally blown away....

Duffy
August 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Some of you might want to check out this Arlo West tribute to SRV. Pretty cool song and a great player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck2kzJgIrHs

I don't know how to post the actual Utube.

duhvoodooman
August 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I don't know how to post the actual Utube.Like so:

ck2kzJgIrHs

Just click on the YouTube tag icon and then paste the video clip code (the charcters that follow the "v=" in the clip URL) in between.

Duffy
August 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Got it Vood - thanks.

eichaan
August 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM
This is the blog post I wrote on Friday to commemorate the 20th anniversary:

http://icarusanybody.blogspot.com/2010/08/rip-srv.html

SemiHollow
October 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have a dvd of him live at the Austin City Limits. Killer compilation of two different performances, plus it has the 'music video' that the OP posted of Little Wing.