PDA

View Full Version : Fret upkeep question...

omegadot
August 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I have the Epi Special II that I have had issues with before. The audio jack still likes to jack up so I'm gonna have to do more work on that, but!

I can look at my frets and go, "Damn, they are ugly" I personally like just nasty tones coming out of a guitar. I'd say I usually like my amp sort of vomiting out electric tones, but I also like to take care of my crap. What should I use to clean up my frets?

The Boss
August 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
0000 steel wool. If it's a maple board, mask it off with masking tape so you don't damage the finish. If it's Rosewood, the steel wool won't do it any harm.

omegadot
August 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Sweet, easy and cheap, I like it.

deeaa
August 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yep 0000 is great. And for maple boards, many use Johnson Pled furniture polish&a cotton cloth. I just use this bottle of Gibson Fretboard oil I've had for close to two decades for all my axes about yearly or biannually...it wears out real slow :-)

omegadot
September 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I missed your reply deeaa(which in my head I always read as DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!). Thanks for the input. Now if anyone could recommend and easy mod to do to get some experience....

Spudman
September 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I missed your reply deeaa(which in my head I always read as DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!). Thanks for the input. Now if anyone could recommend and easy mod to do to get some experience....

Quit your job, leave your family and go on the road. Simple. However, it's an irreversible mod.

omegadot
September 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
And in my case illegal, hah! I guess that could give me good fodder for songs. And maybe I'd actually have the ability to sing and play at the same time then.

deeaa
September 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Duhvoodooman to the rescue!

http://duhvoodooman.com/VJr/VJr_mods.htm

I heartily recommend the bright switch and the 1M input mod.

gordy_sg_no1
October 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
i kinda stole my gfs nail buffers, they are like micro mesh pads that stewmac sell all i do is buff em up then oil the board then buff it up again after that, you can see your face in em and it wont scrape the board.