PDA

View Full Version : Propellerhead Record

syo
August 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Anyone using Record? If so, what do you think? I just upgraded to Reason 5 and Record 1.5 is part of the upgrade. I just started playing around with it and I must say that so far, I'm impressed.

My usual DAW is Pro Tools but it will be nice to have something I can easily take on the road to record with so I can sketch ideas in hotels. Just need a little USB guitar link and I'm set. Frankly after 10+ years using (and sometimes suffering with) Pro Tools I would love to be able to use something as seemingly stable and user friendly as this regularly. But I've invested quite alot in plugins so I guess I'm stuck with PT for now.

A frequent rap about Record is that it is a closed system that doesn't support 3rd party plugins. Because of this however I think it is perhaps much more stable. It does include Line 6 guitar and bass amp sims/effects which is nice. Nice too to be able to lay some quick Reason drum and bass tracks without having to Rewire. Just started playing with it this weekend but I'm getting into this.

Any Record lovers/haters out there?

vroomery
August 29th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I use reason multiple times a week (still on v4), but I've never used record. I usually rewire into Ableton Live 8 for daw tasks, but I would love some other options. It would be especially nice because of the ideally solid cooperation between reason and record.

syo
August 30th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I don't know yet about Reason with Record as my copy of Reason won't arrive until tomorrow (and Record 1.5 won't work with Reason 4). However Record is available as a download so I recorded a little with the limited Reason elements that come with it. I am really looking forward to having the whole package together. My next problem will be finding the time to use it. I'm completely swamped these days...

I've been using Reason for years myself and always thought it was an incredibly well designed and amazingly stable package. I always look forward to what they come up with next.

Robert
August 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I really don't know much about either Reason or Record. Can you guys briefly tell us more about them?

If it can help me create basic backing tracks and song ideas fast, I may be interested. Usually, good drums are the most work for me. I usally play my SX jazz bass on all my recordings, by the way.

syo
August 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I really don't know much about either Reason or Record. Can you guys briefly tell us more about them?

If it can help me create basic backing tracks and song ideas fast, I may be interested. Usually, good drums are the most work for me. I usally play my SX jazz bass on all my recordings, by the way.

Hmm...I thought Reason was standard equipment for a Swede. ;)

Reason and Record are from Propellerheads (in Sweden). Reason is a software studio filled with synths, drum machines, samplers, effects, arpeggiators, loop players etc., etc. Record is their relatively new recording solution which integrates seamlessly with Reason.

For me, Reason has always been a fun music creation tool. User friendly and great for exploring new musical ideas. If you have some experience programming drum machines it's easy to lay down some decent sounding drums. I also have their Bass add on which is cool for laying down bass lines with your midi controller. Reason is not typically thought of as a guitar player's tool although it can certainly be used as one. Especially with Record.

I believe you can try their demo for free. You can find out more at their site:
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/

For drums I usually go for EZDrummer. I have Strike (Pro Tools plug) but never really got on with it. Reason has a new drum module, called Kong, that I'm looking forward to trying out.