PDA

View Full Version : Freezer question

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Are there any appliance gurus here? I just got another new Frigidaire freezer (1st one gave out after 2 years) and it works great but I notice the compressor is still going. It's been on since yesterday and everytime I listen to it the compressor is still on. This isn't normal is it? I thought they're supposed to turn off after the core temperature is stabilized to it's intended temp.

Heywood Jablomie
August 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Yes, it should cycle on and off.

1) What is the thermostat setting? If you turn it down (not off) does the compressor shut off? If it doesn't, I suspect a bad thermostat.

2) Where is the freezer? If it's in a very warm environment, that could spell trouble.

3) Is it empty? An empty freezer is more difficult to maintain temp.

4) Did you just load it with unfrozen stuff. It might take a while to freeze it all.

My thoughts so far.....

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
The thermostat setting is on 4 which is the factory setting. Based on a scale from 1 to 7. The freezer is in our laundryroom inside the house. It's not hot in there. We filled the freezer back up yesterday after we turned it on and the food we filled it with was already frozen. We had stored our stuff in my father in law's freezer when ours went out. I just figured the compressor should shut off after a while but it seems like it's always on.

Heywood Jablomie
August 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM
The thermostat setting is on 4 which is the factory setting. Based on a scale from 1 to 7. The freezer is in our laundryroom inside the house. It's not hot in there. We filled the freezer back up yesterday after we turned it on and the food we filled it with was already frozen. We had stored our stuff in my father in law's freezer when ours went out. I just figured the compressor should shut off after a while but it seems like it's always on.
"Seems like it's always on" isn't necessarily on all the time. I suppose you'll have to monitor it for an extended time to see whether/how it's cycling. And BTW, what is the internal temp?

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I'll have to put a thermometer in there to know what the temperature is. It's not a big freezer it's much smaller than the one we had before. The other one was too big anyway.

Tone2TheBone
August 31st, 2010, 09:15 AM
For future reference. Turn down the temp. control one notch so that the freezer temps level off and the compressor isn't on so much. One notch down from factory settings when you first power up a new freezer. You're welcome. ;)

Spudman
August 31st, 2010, 01:00 PM
So you got it fixed? It was just set too cold?

Tone2TheBone
August 31st, 2010, 04:18 PM
So you got it fixed? It was just set too cold?

I think so Spudster. I don't have a thermometer in there but touching the walls and seeing the food still frozen is a good indication that the baby works good after having adjusted it. :rockya

Spudman
August 31st, 2010, 04:40 PM
I was curious because I'll be buying one shortly. I'm not sure which brand though. I'll need to do some research first. I need to know which freezer will frost mugs the best. :beer:

Heywood Jablomie
August 31st, 2010, 05:11 PM
T2B, you really should get a freezer thermometer in order to be sure that your freezer is between zero and five degrees Fahrenheit. Even if the contents are "frozen", a higher temp will not assure the best shelf life of the food.

And Spud, frost your mugs with a CO2 fire extinguisher:thumbsup

Spudman
August 31st, 2010, 07:21 PM
And Spud, frost your mugs with a CO2 fire extinguisher:thumbsup

I thought that was only allowed backstage. :messedup: So you can do that at home...and not have to throw the television through the window? Well that's a new one for me. Learn something new every day. :lecture I just saved a bunch of money on a freezer because I can find fire extinguishers sitting all over the place. People just hang them up for anyone to take. I think it's pretty generous of them.:thankyou

Tone2TheBone
September 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
I know I should get a thermometer. Do they still make those red ones? You know...the kind that turn a pretty silver in your hand?

;)

FrankenFretter
September 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
I just need to figure out how to get the hitchiker out of mine. Much easier to get them in...

Spudman
September 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
I just need to figure out how to get the hitchiker out of mine. Much easier to get them in...

That usually requires proper meal planning. Might I suggest www.cooks.com?

Kazz
September 2nd, 2010, 04:35 AM

That usually requires proper meal planning. Might I suggest www.cooks.com?

Warped I say....warped......however I must admit Spud....you beat me to it....I was going to say proper butchering practices before putting the body in the freezer really helps. You just tell your friends it is chicken :-)

Spudman
September 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Warped I say....warped......however I must admit Spud....you beat me to it....I was going to say proper butchering practices before putting the body in the freezer really helps. You just tell your friends it is chicken :-)

If you tell them that it's elk or bison it's more believable. They are both red meat..and taste surprisingly similar.

Still the real issue is getting the hitchhiker OUT of the freezer which I would interpret as 'where do I go with this.' Of course the simple answer would be barbecue. The problem then is the shape of the pieces being cooked which can be a dead giveaway. I suggest slow cooking indoors until the meat falls off the bone then pulling it and loading it into a big container and making pulled elk sandwiches. Served with slaw and potato salad any Nascar, KKK and NRA members will surely think they are in heaven...especially if a keg or cooler of Pabst is at hand. Season heavily and all should go well.

Bon appetit! :french

Tone2TheBone
September 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Do they still make Pabst? hahaha

Spudman
September 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM

Available at Sportsman's Warehouse and anywhere fine white sheets are sold.

poodlesrule
September 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM

Well yes!

I bought a 18-pack last year to try it out.
I was lucky, a Bud Light drinker came to visit. I showed off my Pabst, while keeping my own homebrew safe in the basement!

{How the U.S. beer industry convinced the public some time back, that beer made with cheap rice and hardly any hops was the thing will remain a mystery}

Eric
September 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
How the U.S. beer industry convinced the public some time back, that beer made with cheap rice and hardly any hops was the thing will remain a mystery
This is no joke. I heard on NPR a while ago that Bud Light is by far the best-selling beer in the U.S. I simply don't understand -- I rate Bud Light as the worst of even the three big-name light beers (Miller, Coors, Bud)!

sumitomo
September 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Back when I drank,I couldn't drink that crap unless I was drunk,cause then it didn't matter lol! I liked Sheaf's stout or sometimes Beck's and when I moved here Mirror Pond.Sumi:D

poodlesrule
September 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
the three big-name light beers (Miller, Coors, Bud)!

Actually it is refered to in this order "BMC"

They just put out some seriously weird stuff:

"Cold-brewed": yeah, try to brew without heat!
"Cold-activated": uh?

I saw a Coors gear catalog once. One of the tee-shirts offered reads something like "I traded my girlfriend for two Coors six-packs". That must go real well with said girlfriend.. happy times!

Eric
September 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Is BMC an accepted acronym for referencing those three? That might come in handy.

I feel like Bud Light should be second among those 3 lights, but amazingly to me, it actually has less flavor than Coors Light. I'm not quite sure how they did that.

Now Michelob Ultra...that's a powerhouse of flavor and taste...

Heywood Jablomie
September 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
If you don't live in the Pacific Northwet, you're probably SOL, but this is my favorite:

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session-lager.cfm

Tone2TheBone
September 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
This is no joke. I heard on NPR a while ago that Bud Light is by far the best-selling beer in the U.S. I simply don't understand -- I rate Bud Light as the worst of even the three big-name light beers (Miller, Coors, Bud)!

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this.

Heywood Jablomie
September 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Light beer is an oxymoron

FrankenFretter
September 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Mmmmm...all this talk of beer and tasty meat is making me hungry, and quite thirsty. Unfortunately for me, I'm at work...so it's just beer without the tasty "elk" sandwiches. I have some treats out in my smokehouse; we call it pulled long pork.

Speaking of smoked people, have any of you seen the movie The Road? "Please help us! They're going to take us to the smokehouse!"