PDA

View Full Version : In between switch positions

Monkus
August 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM
So, my 1996 Lone Star strat needs some TLC, or so I thought. I ordered a Classic Vibe 50s strat to use while i overhaul and make her new again. Yesterday, before removing strings and pickguard, I decided to make a list of whats wrong so I wont forget to check anything. Amazingly, nothing sounded wrong.

My unwritten shortlist was...5-way switch not working, crackle on the input jack, no difference between neck and middle pups, more than necessary hum. She seduced me into not violating her sanctity.

By total mistake i put the 5-way switch between the 5th and 4th position, in between the neck and neck-middle position and was playing a C 6th chord way up on the 12th fret and what a tone! Going straight into my Cube 60 on the tweed model, a little reverb, smidgen of chorus. Wished i had two more hands so I could have played 4 chords of acoustic steel behind it.

Questions:
whats the deal with in between the 4th and 5th position on the 5-way switch?
Should I wait until the fixes appear again before I open her up?
Is she alive?
Will she respect me in the morning? (just kidding)

:what

markb
August 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM
The Lone Star uses a Super Switch (TM). It's a 4 pole, 5 way. It sounds like yours is broken, anything could be happening in there.

http://support.fender.com/diagrams/stratocaster/0107900_02B/SD0107900_02BPg2.pdf

Heywood Jablomie
August 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM
If you gently tap a pole piece with a screwdriver, you can tell if the pickup is active or not. Try that on all pickups while your switch is in the in-between position - that should tell you what's going on.