PDA

View Full Version : Looking into analog delay....whatcha playin?

6stringdrug
August 30th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I have been using a Boss DD-3 for awhile now. I like it, just looking for an analog delay to experiment with a new sound. So, what are my fellow fretters playin out there? Any suggestions? Im not into huge delay times, just a nice organic delay to play with. Holla!!!

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2010, 10:37 PM
My analog is my MXR carbon copy. Nice analog delay!

Spudman
August 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Simple answer for me was a Line 6 M13 and an M9. All the delay styles and lengths I could ever want. The Line 6 DL4 is a just delays without the extra effects the M units have. They are quite popular too.

vroomery
August 30th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I own a DL4 and really enjoy it. The tube and tape delays sound really nice and warm. They work really great for people that want either long spacey delay sounds or want to use delay almost like reverb and just thicken the sound a bit. It can do rhythmic delay too (i normally use the digital delay for this because it is a little more tight sounding), but I am looking into getting another pedal for the rhythmic stuff at some point. I'll probably end up with a Nova Delay at some point.

otaypanky
August 30th, 2010, 11:09 PM
My analog is my MXR carbon copy. Nice analog delay!

Yup ~ what he said :AOK

markb
August 31st, 2010, 12:13 AM
The tape model on my DD-20. Close enough for me.

deeaa
August 31st, 2010, 12:49 AM
I have never used much digital delay or verb, but I finally tried an analog one a while back; one of those cheap chinese Biyangs...and it does sound great!

I guess it's an analog delay trait to sort of 'track' the sound sometimes a bit funny, like a synth oscillator, or something, rather than just a mechanic dealy...makes for a really cool, natural thickening effect for leads. I can't say anything bad about the Biyang either, despite it cost me 20 bucks!

6stringdrug
August 31st, 2010, 10:53 PM
deeaaa. i have looked at those, the price is right, even if it fails as an experiment. Havent heard much negative about them. i migght add that one to the list of possibilities:

Ibanez ad-9
mxr carbon copy
biyang ad7
electroharmonix memory boy

....so far.

deeaa
September 1st, 2010, 12:53 AM
Yep the only gripe I have about it it hogs room...not too small. I'd like to try some nano size analog delay some day to save room on my board...but other than that nothing bad to report!

Tig
September 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM
MXR Carbon Copy is among the best analogs, and it does everything I like, plus more.

The M9/M13's are good suggestions. I'll get one when I have the money.
For the short term, I have Digitech RP-255 multi effects pedal, and it fills in my need for phaser/flanger/chorus/noise gate, etc.

hubberjub
September 1st, 2010, 08:06 AM
I use an old Electra EP-150 Analog Delay. It's a rackmount device that just loves to self oscillate. I mostly just use it to produce noise with the pedal steel.

marnold
September 1st, 2010, 08:12 AM
People seem to rave about the Way Huge Aqua Puss too, although it has a very limited delay.

ZMAN
September 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
I went straight to the DD20, and I can delay myself to death with a million options. It is an amazing little piece. Bought in the U.S. for under 200.
I never rally tried anything else

nickydiaz
September 1st, 2010, 01:10 PM
I love my BBE Two Timer. You can switch between 2 different delay times in one unit plus it costs the same as the MXR carbon copy...cool graphics too

Bloozcat
September 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
I love my BBE Two Timer. You can switch between 2 different delay times in one unit plus it costs the same as the MXR carbon copy...cool graphics too

I've been looking at that BBE Two Timer. It seems to offer something similar to the MXR Carbon Copy but with the extra, switchable setting that goes way beyond the capabilities of the MXR.

I have the BBE Orange Squash compressor (formally the Main Squeeze) and I like it very much. Very transparent, great sustain, and quiet. Not as much squish as some, but that's not what I was looking for. I don't know it's even on until I turn it off...which is exactly what I was looking for.

Presto
September 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I have a DD-3 that I use as well for longer delay times on songs that require them.

For analog delay I use a Maxon AD-900 which is great. I got one of the Aqua Puss MKIIs that came out recently as well. It's also a great pedal. I use the Aqua Puss on my pedalboard currently because, even though the AD-900 has more delay time, the Aqua Puss is a little smaller and doesn't require an adapter so I have a bit more room on my pedalboard.

Matt
September 6th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I use my DD-20 now for most delay sounds, although I do want an analog delay to put pre-gain for interesting sounds. As good as the DD-20 sounds though, the best delay I have ever played through is the EHX Deluxe Memory Man. The new ones don't sound quite the same but are still amazing. The memory boy and toy don't have tonal charm either of their bigger brother, but both are nice delays.

Perfect Stranger
September 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I use an old Moen Pretty Dolly

Bloozcat
September 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I just ordered one of these:
http://earthcitysoundco.com/resources/AD-10+Delay+Web+1.jpg

After reading many reviews, and after listening to many YouTube clips, I bought one of these Biyang "Boutique" series "Baby Boom" AD 10 Analog delays with true bypass. The only difference I could find between this one and the Tonefancier AD 8 series seems to be the enclosure. This one is in an MXR size enclosure with artsy graphics, while the AD 8 is in a larger, polished stainless enclosure. Thinking about the available real estate on my over-crowded pedal board, I went with smaller of the two. And besides, I just couldn't say no to a pink "boutique" pedal anyway...(pink?!?! :eek: )

I really didn't want to spend the bucks for an EH Deluxe Memory Man as I wasn't sure just how much I'd use a delay (although everyone says once you start, you can't stop). The MXR Carbon Copy was twice as much at best price, and even the BBE Two Timer was $24.00 more at best price. This was only $66.00 new, delivered.

So, in about a week, we'll see...:dance

Radioboy950
September 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I also played around with a couple digital delays, and I did not like them.

Look into Wampler's Analog Echo...or Faux Tape Echo (if you want a little flutter).

If you REALLY dig the tape echo thing, you gotta look at Strymon's El Capistan.

Andy
September 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I have been using the tech21 boost dla for a while now the flutter control is really cool. I run the delay thru the effects loop

deeaa
September 14th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Blooz, that's the one I'd prefer as well, but buying al my stuff used as a rule I couldn't choose...I'm sure you'll like it and the size is certainly n advantage.

6stringdrug
September 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
blooz, those biyang pedals have really caught my eye, please tell me your thoughts when you get a chance to play it. I'm having a hard time finding if its analog or digital, but the reviews are excellent and the soundclips sound really warm too.

Bloozcat
September 15th, 2010, 06:13 AM
blooz, those biyang pedals have really caught my eye, please tell me your thoughts when you get a chance to play it. I'm having a hard time finding if its analog or digital, but the reviews are excellent and the soundclips sound really warm too.

From what I've been able to ascertain, the pedal has an analog path on the 600ms setting and a digital path on the 1000ms setting...if that makes any sense at all. I'm sure DVM could clarify the viability of something like this.

Dee...

At the price these sell for new, they're like buying other brands of delays at a used price. As popular as these pedals are becoming due to the attractive price, I'm sure the used market will begin to pick up as a result.

It's shipping today via priority mail. I should have it by Friday, or Saturday at the latest.

Bloozcat
September 15th, 2010, 06:38 AM
OK, it appears that both the AD-8 Tonefancier and the AD-10 Baby Boom are digital delays. You have to read the new descriptions on Biyangs website carefully, but it seems clear that they're both digital delays that try to emulate analog pedals. From the sound clips I've heard, they do a good job of it. And, the AD-8 is a double chip set where the AD-10 is a single PT2399, which is clearly digital. From the Biyang web site:

Analog circuitry design was used in AD-8 to simulate the old, pure analog sounding that guitarists were looking for! We incorporated 2 groups of chipsets to create the delay, greatly improved the delay fidelity and increasing the delay time realism. With the same millisecond settings, you will a very high audio fidelity that will get your audiences feeling what your are playing!

The new "Time Machine" Delay (AD-10) is a rough and tumble footpedal- using a modern PT2399 "lo-fi" delay chip to to recreate the complex delay patterns of the vintage Echoplex effects.
Compared to a modern digital delay pedal the digital circuitry in the Pro Delay is far warmer and richer and more musical- Each repeat is burnished with a bit of "dirt" to fatten up the sound. It really delivers the "Pure Analog" sound.

Bloozcat
September 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Don't ya' just love that phrase, "Out For Delivery"?

Looks like tomorrow will be Biyangwangdangdoodledelayday...(try saying that fast 5-times!)
:dance :dance

Bloozcat
September 20th, 2010, 07:44 AM
The AD-10 Baby Boom delay came in on Friday and here's my preliminary review based on the few minutes I had over the weekend to try it out.

The unit came with an alkaline battery but no external power source (wall wart). It is to be expected for a pedal that only cost $60.00 delivered. The battery compartment is easy to access by loosening the one thumb screw at one edge and lifting the lid off the body. Putting the lid back on with the battery in place wasn't as easy. Due to the tight fit of the battery in the compartment provided, the lid was very difficult to close as tightly as it was without the battery in place. There is a jack provided for a std. Boss type external power source. As I'll be using the pedal with my BBE Supa Power when it goes on my board, I'm not overly concerned about the poor cover fit. More on that after the description of the tone.

I tried the pedal with a parts-o-caster I put together with an ash body, a maple/rosewood neck, and some 60's type wind custom single coil pickups. I ran the pedal through the effects loop in my Ceriatone OTS for the test. I tried the pedal on several settings, first on 600ms, then on the 1000ms setting. The pedal delivers the full range of delay tones you'd expect from slap back to long, lush delays, to space noises. The overall clarity of the pedal does betray it's digital circuitry, but there is just enough "dirt" in the decay to give the tone a certain analog feel. Additionally, the pedal isn't dark sounding as many analog pedals tend to be. It isn't overly bright either, just clear. Since I only had a short time to test out the pedal, I wasn't able to try it in any overdriven modes, nor with any of my humbucker equipped guitars...something I'm anxious to do as soon as I have time.

The pedal appears well built, the switch positive and noiseless (no "pop" when engaged). The pedal was noiseless in operation, and did not suck any tone. With its true by-pass switching it didn't suck any tone when switched off either (I compared the tone with and without the pedal in the loop).

Another word on the power source: This thing is a battery eater. After playing throught the pedal for about 10 minutes I was interupted for about the next 15 minutes or so. I left the amp on standby with the effect plugged in and on until until I returned to play some more. In that brief 15 minute period the battery had lost about half of it's juice. From the reports I had read I already knew it ate batteries, but it was a surprise just how fast it did so. So, an external 300ma power source is a must.

Just with the limited testing I've done so far, I'd say that this pedal is well worth the mere $60.00 I paid for it. I don't think it will fool or satisfy an analog purist, but it does what it was designed to do pretty well - emulate the tone of an analog pedal.

BTW: The delay pedal Jay at GFS is offering is a repackaged Biyang AD-8. His whole selection of pedals are made by Biyang are are identical to them despite Jay's claim that he provided his own specs to Biyang. He got caught advertising his delay pedal as 100% analog and had to retract it after Biyang admitted that the pedals were in fact, "digital with analog voicing". Hardly sounds like Jay had anything to do with the design specs. The description of the delay pedal on the GFS site is copied word for word from the Biyang site description of the AD-8 pedal as well. Jay sells his for $55.95 plus shipping, so it's just a couple of bucks more with shipping than I paid for this one.

More to come later....