PDA

View Full Version : Booster pedals effect on tube amp

Duffy
August 31st, 2010, 02:13 AM
I'm considering getting a booster pedal, like a Seymour Duncan one or a Boosta Grande.

Anyone see a problem with booster pedals? Do they hurt the amp by overamping it? Too much hitting the preamp tubes? Too much for the circuit design? Or are they okay to use?

I seem to remember reading that they can hurt the amp and that you should even keep the level knobs on your effects pedals down from the max point about half way.

Feedback appreciated.

FrankenFretter
August 31st, 2010, 06:47 AM
I have a Boosta Grande, and it works great with both my Marshall and my Vox. I put it first in the pedal chain to boost the signal before it hits the first overdrive or distortion pedal. I use my amphs at fairly low volume, if that makes any difference. I hadn't heard anything about booster pedals being harmful. It certainly adds life to guitars that don't have much "oomph" to them otherwise. I love that pedal. A very good investment too, as I found it for $29 on Ebay, I believe.

Eric
August 31st, 2010, 10:43 AM
What I have heard in the past is that you don't want to overdo the input on something like a SS amp. Tube amps, however, can take quite a bit of extra voltage in the input just fine.

I'm not sure if this is accurate, so hopefully one of the real electrical mavens will show up in this thread. But to date, it's how I've approached things with amps and extra gain before the amp.