PDA

View Full Version : Vox Valvetronix

EPiK URR
August 31st, 2010, 02:04 PM
So for a year now, I've been looking into a Vox VT30 to replace my Peavey. It all sounds good, but I'm wondering if it's worth the money I can pay for it. If someone has a VT, I need some consumer feedback before I decide what to buy.

bcdon
August 31st, 2010, 02:10 PM
I have a VOX VT30 and really like it. It has some really nice clean models as well as some pretty good metal ones. What I really like is that you can turn down the output power and still get decent tones without high volume (great for late night jamming without your neighbours complaining).

By the way, welcome aboard. Head on over to player's section and introduce yourself. :dude

Commodore 64
August 31st, 2010, 02:11 PM
I know that a lot of folks really dig their Peavey stuff. What model Peavey are you looking to replace?

SuperSwede
August 31st, 2010, 02:27 PM
I have the VT50 and its a nice amph for home use and small gigs. You should really consider the VT50, the 12" speaker sounds much better than the 10" in the 30 watt version.

Retro Hound
August 31st, 2010, 02:44 PM
I have a VT30 and like it pretty well. If at all possible, try out some amps before you buy. After playing a Fender SuperChamp XD, I think now I would have picked that one over the VT30, but maybe not. For me, it seems the SCXD has more cleans.

One thing I really love about the Vox is the attenuator on the back that lets you get the "sound" without the volume. That is a BIG plus for me as I'm just playing at the house not gigging. That's one reason I'm not positive I would have chosen anything else. It is a fun amp with lots of sounds.

Here's a list of the amps that are modeled.

http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/new-vt-series-amp-models-t2464.html

EPiK URR
August 31st, 2010, 05:07 PM
I know that a lot of folks really dig their Peavey stuff. What model Peavey are you looking to replace?
I have a Peavy Vyper 15 watt. Ive had it since I started playing.

deeaa
September 1st, 2010, 01:23 AM
My AD30VT is the old model, only 2 preset slots...I like it's sound pretty well for a small (mostly) SS amph, especially since I swapped the rather glassy original speaker for a beefier Celestion.

It's got nice cleans, nice crunch, bad for metal and harder stuff IMO...but that's the older version mind you.

Still, it's a very good home amph...almost on par with Tech-21 amps in dirtier sounds, not as good D/I output, but overall for the price it's very versatile and has some real nice sounds.

Commodore 64
September 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM
I don't think I'd go from a Peavey Vypyr 15 to a VT30...They are kinda the same thing, but different makers.

Especially because you are thinking about doing the "band thing", I would look into a Fender SS offering like a Frontman 212R, or 65R, both of which are readily available used for very good prices (~$200-250 for the 212R). I had a Stage 1000 (similar to the 65R, but older) and the metal tones that thing could get were awesome. And the footswitch is really useful.

barber76
September 1st, 2010, 01:10 PM
I don't think I'd go from a Peavey Vypyr 15 to a VT30...They are kinda the same thing, but different makers.
Sounds strange to me as well. From one low-watt sim. amp to another low-watt sim.amp. What for? Either consider something more powerful, if you are going to jam, or switch to low-watt tube, if you are just looking for better sound.

FrankenFretter
September 1st, 2010, 01:16 PM
Ian, as someone who's owned a VT30 in the past, and knowing your preferred playing style, I think you might consider other options. The Vox is a nice little practice amp, but as SS said, the 10" speaker makes the amp sound small. After I bought the amp, I kept wishing I'd spent the extra money for the VT50 with the 12" speaker.

Another amp to seriously consider is the Roland Cube series. The Rectifier model is a really good Mesa Boogie sound, great for high gain metal. I have the Cube 60, which was discontinued, but I found one on EvilBay for a good price. My brother has the Cube 30, which was the reason I bought my Cube, after playing through his. The 30 has a 10" speaker, but sounds pretty big for it's size. If you can nab a C60, the speaker is 12", and it's got 60 watts, which is plenty for most band situations. It's a very warm sounding solid state amp, and the Tweed model is also one of my favorites for blues and such.

Just my two cents.

Eric
September 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'm not real clear on the typical setup for metal, but I thought that (unless you're going to buy a dual recto) a 50W SS amp with a 12" speaker and something like a Boss Metal Zone would be your average gear for entry-level band situations.

As I said though, I'm far from an authority. Just my general impression.

FrankenFretter
September 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not real clear on the typical setup for metal, but I thought that (unless you're going to buy a dual recto) a 50W SS amp with a 12" speaker and something like a Boss Metal Zone would be your average gear for entry-level band situations.

As I said though, I'm far from an authority. Just my general impression.

I don't claim to be any kind of authority, either. You do have a point though, Eric. With a good pedal, and a 12" speaker, you have most of what you need. My Dano Metal II is great for making almost any amph sound metalicious.

EPiK URR
September 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for helping me, fellow axemen. I think a bigger 50 watt is a good option, and I'll defenitely check out some other amps.

Katastrophe
September 1st, 2010, 03:32 PM
While you're at it, check out the Line 6 Spider IV 75 watter. It's a great sounding amp for not a lot of money... And the Recto model is pretty good for the metal stuff.

You could definitely gig or practice with that amp. Not that the Vox is bad, but just to give you some choices to look at!

marnold
September 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
*cough* Jet City *cough*

I tried distortion pedals in front of my AD30VT (the VT30's predecessor). Didn't help, even with a replacement speaker. My Jet City can do 80s metal without any problems and can do the more saturated stuff with the assistance of a powerful overdrive, such as my Thesis 96 (the poor man's, erm, Lutheran man's version of the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer). Also their support is top notch. Granted, you'll be putting out a bit more cash at first, but I think you'll thank me later.

Lachy
September 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hi, new guy here, I play a wide variety of styles and I got a VT50, which is great for supplying that wide range of sounds, sure I still use a pedal for distortion every now and then but I always have no matter what amp I've had.
Choosing an amp is sooo person, guitar, style/s dependent, but I've got to say I'm really happy with this amps versatility. I am considering getting a quad box or similiar for gigging though. But even at a gig it doesn't sound small atm, you've got to get it of the floor though..If I had more money I'd have bought the 100wter, but the money flows when the money flows and at the time this was my price range.
Try them all though, and buy what sounds best for your money!:AOK

Monkus
September 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
*cough* Bugera V22 *cough*

I also have the Cube 60 after gassing for the Vox. I was looking for great cleans. Play them, see what chooses you.

bcdon
September 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hi, new guy here, I play a wide variety of styles and I got a VT50, which is great for supplying that wide range of sounds, sure I still use a pedal for distortion every now and then but I always have no matter what amp I've had.
Great post Lachy and welcome to The Fret! Head on over to the fret players section and introduce yourself when you have a chance. :dude

cedwards
September 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Ian, as someone who's owned a VT30 in the past, and knowing your preferred playing style, I think you might consider other options. The Vox is a nice little practice amp, but as SS said, the 10" speaker makes the amp sound small. After I bought the amp, I kept wishing I'd spent the extra money for the VT50 with the 12" speaker.

+1 on that. I have two AD30VTs, one for my kid and one for me. I like the amp a lot but I must admit I'm hankering for a 50 instead. My understanding is that speaker quality takes a major jump between the 30 and the 50 (Celestion?). I'm pestering my buddy to buy his 50 which I love - very sweet sound.

You may have read about the other major knock on the AD30VT which is 1/4" jack: because the plug goes in on the vertical on the top of the cabinet, it's very easy to lever the jack loose with a good tug on the cable. If you get one, make sure to use a 90 degree plug. I also pay attention to tightening the nut that secures the jack every now and then - if the jack drops, and it can, you're disassembling stuff to get it back out.

Also, be aware that the AD30VT has no external FX loop. Can't remember if the 50 does - maybe just the 100.

If I had it to do again, I'd get the AD50VT. Much heavier to lug around though. If carrying it around is part of the plan, the 30 is very easy.

deeaa
September 2nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Yes, the original 10" is pretty lacking IMO too on the 30 - the upgrade to a Celestion 35 gave it a huge improvement.