PDA

View Full Version : Fender Super-Sonic 22

MAXIFUNK
September 1st, 2010, 11:58 AM
To buy or not to buy that is the question.

I was really looking into getting Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head. the street price is around $399.00 USD
http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Tweaker/TweakerHead.html

Then I starting seeing the Fender Super-Sonic 22 on the fender site.
http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2160000400
My interest peaked on sight a low watt fender amp that actual can do all levels of distortion. So, low and Behold I take my daughter to singing lessons on Saturday and my local store has one in stock. I was in a rush couldn't test drive it. This I will do today. The owner and the manager did give it a whirl and highly recommend this amp.

My only concern is the $999.99 USD street value price tag.
The same price as a Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb Combo Amp.
The Super-Sonic 22 is basically that amp with a added highly tweak-able Distortion Channel.

So, I wonder what you guys think snatch it or hold out there are better options in that price range.

Here are two reviews of the amp.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Jul/Fender_Super_Sonic_22_Combo_Amp_Review.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQcVYgu2UOo

More links for the amp:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperSonic-22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=430759
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Super-Sonic-22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-430759-i1537827.gc

hubberjub
September 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
You could get a used regular Supersonic. They go pretty cheap.

ZMAN
September 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM
Duff emailed me about a Supersonic 60. He said he could get it for 800 bucks. So I would think the 22 would be a little less than 999.
For me the 65 deluxe is probably the best sounding amp that Fender ever made. Adding a gain channel and some fat boost would only make it better.
I use pedals to achieve this but if you can do it internally all that much better.
I like the blonde as well. If you can get it for under 900 I would buy it.

FrankenFretter
September 1st, 2010, 01:00 PM
I haven't tried out the Super Sonic, but the Tweaker is a really, really nice amph. I have seen some videos of the SS, and it does sound good. The Tweaker seems to be a lot of amph for the price. I know my brother (NW Basser) wants one bad enough to sell a kidney for it.

Tig
September 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
I played the 60 watt Supersonic today, as a matter of fact! They didn't have the 22 watt which interests me more for my needs.

What impressed me the most (other than the variety of tones that this Fender could produce) is that I couldn't get a bad sound out of it. No matter what I set the tone and gains (yes, it has 2 gain stages) to, it always sounded good or even great. The cleans were all you expect from a Fender, and while the high gain button didn't blow be away, it was nice to have the extra roar to play with.

So, if you can afford one, by all means, demo it and see how it works for you. I like the high gain I get out of my Tweaker more (I needed more time to dial it in than was available), but otherwise, they are comparable. The Tweaker kicks arse at the much lower price range, but it is only a half step down in overall tonal bliss.

MAXIFUNK
September 1st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your input any other opinions would be greatly appreciated as well.

I guess I should have stated I already have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410.
Which I love but that amp really does not have a middle ground after 2 it gets loud and only louder from there, most of the time at home I use it set around 1 1/2 to 2 and some times 3. The super-sonic 60 does look really cool but I was really wanting a lower wattage amp for earlier break up that could be more versatile than my Deville that would take pedals as well as my Deville or none at all and still get the growl I want. Don't get me wrong the clean sound on the DeVille is perfect to my ears and Growl it has but not at low volumes.

Thus I was looking at the Tweaker USA&BRIT TONES for cheap and made by a really good company that has been around for a while thus they would have its manufacturing process down I.E. Reliability.

Then the Super-sonic 22 comes out the Fender clean sound I love and hopefully the distortion that I'll love as much as the clean channel.
Since these are NEW this year I do not see anyone dropping below the $999.99 USD street prices at least not this soon anyway maybe on black Friday. So, I know going in I'll be paying Full street price for this sucker.

I'll test drive it tonight I have my CV ThinLine Tele with me today to use for the test Drive. to be honest the Price tag does give me pause.

FYI- it is the blonde version a very nice looking amp as well.

MAXIFUNK
September 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
I played the 60 watt Supersonic today, as a matter of fact! They didn't have the 22 watt which interests me more for my needs.

What impressed me the most (other than the variety of tones that this Fender could produce) is that I couldn't get a bad sound out of it. No matter what I set the tone and gains (yes, it has 2 gain stages) to, it always sounded good or even great. The cleans were all you expect from a Fender, and while the high gain button didn't blow be away, it was nice to have the extra roar to play with.

So, if you can afford one, by all means, demo it and see how it works for you. I like the high gain I get out of my Tweaker more (I needed more time to dial it in than was available), but otherwise, they are comparable. The Tweaker kicks arse at the much lower price range, but it is only a half step down in overall tonal bliss.

You popped in while I was typing. Thanks sounds great.
Yeah no one seems to have them on their floor yet and the guy at my local store said he was surprised when this one arrived and said he no idea when they would get another one If I decide to wait. See after reading your post I want them both. UGH GAS is a CRAZY ISSUE.

NWBasser
September 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM
I haven't tried out the Super Sonic, but the Tweaker is a really, really nice amph. I have seen some videos of the SS, and it does sound good. The Tweaker seems to be a lot of amph for the price. I know my brother (NW Basser) wants one bad enough to sell a kidney for it.

Hmm, true dat.

I tried the combo yesterday and I'm quite smitten with it. However, my tone goals may be different than yours. I like a very thick and creamy sound, sort of like a strong outmeat stout.

I find most, if not all, Fender amphs to sound somewhat tinny to my ears and for my style. I tried a SCXD and had the bass dimed and it still sounded too light for me. I think Fender amphs have a pilsner taste to them while the Tweaker is more Guiness. Perhaps due to my bass playing, I like a really fat sound with strong bottom to it.

MAXIFUNK
September 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hmm, true dat.

I tried the combo yesterday and I'm quite smitten with it. However, my tone goals may be different than yours. I like a very thick and creamy sound, sort of like a strong outmeat stout.

I find most, if not all, Fender amphs to sound somewhat tinny to my ears and for my style. I tried a SCXD and had the bass dimed and it still sounded too light for me. I think Fender amphs have a pilsner taste to them while the Tweaker is more Guiness. Perhaps due to my bass playing, I like a really fat sound with strong bottom to it.

Being a Bass player 1st myself also I sort like the highs and mids of my fender amp. When I want the bottom only the Bass will do. although I clearly understand what you mean you like a heavier tone and yeah Fender's are not know for that. Although my DeVille 410 can give out lots of bass but having the 4x10's helps a lot with that moves more air and more speaker surface.

Yeah, I am convinced more than ever I want both but 1st I'll see how this Super-sonic floats my boat. Thanks for the input my fellow low end brethren!

NWBasser
September 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hey Maxi, it seems that I have fairly defined tone goals for guitar and am not much of a dilletante in that regard.

A Les Paul through a moderate to heavily saturated tube amph floats my boat. I also don't use any effects. That's just me though. I guess I'm old and set in my ways!

That's not to say that I don't like other guitar sounds though. For instance, I love Jim Burton's playing and his tele and Fender amphs sound perfect for his style.

I like listening to a lot of strat players too, but don't really want one for myself.

Let us know how the new amph works out if you get it.

PS - When playing bass, I much prefer for the guitarist to have a bright tone and not compete with my bottom-end!

Katastrophe
September 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM
I've played the 60 watt version, and it is one outstanding amph. Great tones!

BUT... I think the 22 watt version is overpriced, IMO, given the flood of 15 to 20 watters out there for much less money.

Here's an idea... Sell the Deville. Get the Tweaker now. Wait a month or two. There WILL be some used ones coming in when some players find the Super Sonic doesn't meet their needs.

Then, pick up a used 22 watter at a much cheaper price.

You get both amphs. Tonal bliss included.

Robert
September 1st, 2010, 10:51 PM
I think the deville 410 is a killer amp. The supersonic can't really touch it. Yeah it gets loud I know...:)

MAXIFUNK
September 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM
Here's an idea... Sell the Deville.

Not unless I'm broke and have to sell it.

MAXIFUNK
September 2nd, 2010, 01:29 AM
@ Robert there is no way I'm selling that amp.

OK here is what I think of the Fender Super-Sonic 22 1x12.
1st off it is made right here in Corona California well that explains the price right up front.

This all tube amp has the goods and then some it really can do it all.
Extremely well made easy to manipulate all of the knobs are smartly laid out.

The only CON I thought the reverb was just a little to revebery if there is such a word. Any thing past 2 seems to be too much reverb for my taste or ears anyway.

The Pros:

The Fat switch on the clean channel adds umph and thickness to the tone give it a rich sweetness. Very Cool. Fender clean tone is present and accounted for yes indeed.

These 22 watts can get nice and loud has a lot of headroom and punch for a amp of its size and wattage level.

The burn channel is what makes this amp worth the money.
Its not going to do Mesa Boogie or ENGL distortion but it is more than capable of handling metal. I have the master volume on 1 and the gain 1 & gain 2 all the way up and the tone was not muddy at all it was a very usable tone a killer late night volume level for the high gain crowd to enjoy. I just wish I had brought my HSS strat or LP along to hear a humbucker guitar at that volume level. There where many usable tones just by tweaking the knobs to your desired setting.

Sustain for years, brown sound, plays along with your pick attack and guitar volume level on cue. If you have the fingers it well let you shine to your proper ability level. Ac/Dc, STP, Tool, Korn, EVH, Zep, Jimi, Pfunk, SVR, ZZ top, Johnny guitar Watson all present and accounted for and then some.

This amp was better than I thought it would be. If you want an amp to record with or to do small gigs with or mic it for medium gigs that can do it all but extreme metal high gain sounds this is the one for you.

The only draw back is the $999.99 USD price tag. Honestly though I do think its worth the price.

I did not get it yet I always wait 24 hours before I buy something like this to make sure its not just an impulse buy or a knee jerk reaction. Heck I have not had my Deville no more than 4 or 5 months.

It looks like one of these 3 options will happen.

1. I get the Super-sonic now price be damned and get the tweaker when rev2 comes out.

2. Get the tweaker for my B-Day or the holidays as I planed all along. And get the Super-Sonic 22 in 2011.

3. Get the Super-Sonic 22 and be happy as a pig in slop between that and the Deville 410 I'm covered.

Gas issues is always so complicated when you know it's a want not a need type of a buy.

Tig
September 2nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
We're talking about the new Supersonic that just came out last month, not the older version. Pretty big difference.

I liked the Bassman mode switch to beef up the thickness in the Vintage side of the amp.
However, the 60 watt has 10 tubes, which could get costly!

MAXIFUNK
September 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
We're talking about the new Supersonic that just came out last month, not the older version. Pretty big difference.

I liked the Bassman mode switch to beef up the thickness in the Vintage side of the amp.
However, the 60 watt has 10 tubes, which could get costly!

Yeah the new 22 watt version just released in the last month which has 7 tubes.

ZMAN
September 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Corona Cali. That is a plus for sure. My 65 reissue is made in Mehico, and I still love the tone. I paid almost 900 Can. for mine a couple of years ago.
999 for the blonde MIA would be very tempting for me. Although I have all the amps I will ever need now. I hear ya about the gas.

Duffy
September 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
Zman,

I EXTENSIVELY compared the Supersonic with the JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead 100 today for a couple hours.

Conclusion:

The Marshal DSL 100 is a FAR superior amp. The Supersonic was the 60 not the 22.

The depth of tone and complexity of tone with the DSL was WAY superior. The notes rang with way less MUDDINESS, if you can call a Supersonic muddy. But to my ear this is true, the DSL was really a truly complex and complete tone.

Also, the DSL has a good clean sound but far superior overdrive sounds with the several overdrive options, all of which produce smooth clear overdrive that sound full and highly complex with lots of harmonics and a broad width of tone compared to the much thinner sounding width of the tone on the Supersonic.

So, the Supersonic is off my list of possible amps. Even at 800 I think I can do better. My new Vox AC15c1 with the bad monkey and digitech hardwire reverb in front of it sounds better than the Supersonic, really professional sounding with superior tone.

I'm thinking of trying an Egnater Tweaker. It is supposed to have overdrive saturation something like the DSL, hard to believe with the price difference, but nonetheless possible.

I don't think I want to spend more than six hundred on an amp again, and probably less considering I have some great six hundred dollar amps. I might even look for a used great amp. A place in Harrisburg sells supposedly high quality used amps and guitars and I want to check the place out but don't like buying someone elses problems.

Also, I'm going to put my Hot Rod Deluxe Special Edition with the tweed and Jensen P12n back into my amp wall and remove my Crate V32 Palomino 212 for some routine maintenance.

So, any ideas on the Tweaker?

otaypanky
September 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
What shop is that in Harrisburg, Duffy?

Duffy
September 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Players exchange. Any better places?

MAXIFUNK
September 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
I have the Super-Sonic 22 on hold right now.
I am going to make up my mind today or tomorrow.
I am going to try to get over to GC to test drive the Tweaker to decide weather or not to grab or hold off.

Robert
September 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Just turn up your Deville and save your money! :D It will sound better too.

MAXIFUNK
September 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I let it go did not want to buy it until I laid hands on the tweaker.
For the price of the Super-Sonic 22
I could get the Tweaker & an Ibanez DN500 AKA the Dark Stone.
That seems like a much better decision but if I check out the tweaker and dont like it Super-Sonic 22 here I come.

Duffy
September 8th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Played the SuperSonic 60 at the store again today and it is progressively sounding less good to me and more muddy. The BURN channel that originally turned me on now has WAY less allure.

I came home and got my limited edition tweed Hot Rod Deluxe with the Jensen P12n speaker out of my guitar room and bought it down to my bedroom - my playing area - and played it. Haven't turned it on in over a year.

It sounded way better than the SuperSonic on the clean channel, of course, but, suprisingly also better on the drive and more drive channels. This is a premium version of the HRDX though and I'm sure that makes a difference. So the desire for a SuperSonic has dissipated and my anxiety over picking up my new Tweaker on Thursday has my full attention.

After never playing the Tweaker or heard it in person, I'm hoping it cracks out to be the awesome amp I see on Youtube and hear about from my friends and on the forums.

I'm also going to have a new Agile AL 3100 to play thru it.

Now I want an OCD overdrive pedal and a Seymour Duncan "Pickup Booster" pedal.

Glad I didn't lay down eight hundred dollars for that brand new SuperSonic 60 even though it was a great price. If anyone is interested, I have no affln. with the store, but I can give you the phone number of the store that has the SuperSonic 60 straight line lettering "SuperSonic", old style that is blonde and brand new and selling for eight hundred in perfect condition and sounds better to me than the new version. Anyway, if you are interested let me know and I'll give you the info. I'm sure they ship stuff out.

I got two moderately priced new items for less money that will hopefully equate to more value than the price of the SS and provide me with a lot of fun.

That G and L ASAT classic tele sounded real good thru that Ltd Ed tweed HRDX. Definitely going into my amp wall today.

By the way, the entire Hot Rod series is being updated with the Hot Rod III versions starting with the Blues Jr III going all the way up to the Deville III; and they are blowing out the old style Hot Rods on the big sites.

Audiofan
September 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM
And there is another review here:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/guitar-combo-amplifier/fender/pro-tube-super-sonic-22-combo/editorial/reviews/feeling-super-sonic.html

IMO very expensive. And if you play hard metal, it's probably not your best bet.

SemiHollow
October 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
While I'm not exactly much of a high-gain player myself, I know others who are never seem to be satisfied with any of Fender's products.

MAXIFUNK
October 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I heard a guy trying it out last week this is a great amp.

MAXIFUNK
November 23rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
I go to my local music store on Saturday to take my daughter to her voice lessons and low and behold they have another Blond Fender SuperSonic 22 in stock.

UGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH temptation once again right dab smack in my face. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wait for the tweaker 40 or jump on this UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Tig
November 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Wait for the tweaker 40 or jump on this UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Go with what speaks to you the most after another round of demo's.

I say a Tweaker in any size will keep you happier for longer. The Rebel 30 1x12 is also a must-demo for $100 less than the SS 22. My choices for Fender amps under $1000 are the '65 Deluxe or Princeton Reverbs, or the super simple Pro Jr.

otaypanky
November 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
I know it's not what you're considering, but just speaking of great amps at a good value, I saw a guy today advertising a Gibson GA-15R for only $400 in the local Craigslist. That's one great sounding 1X12" combo, 2XEL84's

Duffy
November 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
I was definitely going to buy a SuperSonic 60 watt for 800, brand new; until I read about and looked into the Egnater Tweaker 15.

I wanted something that would give me heavy smooth overdrive, like the SuperSonic on "Burn". The reports indicated that the Tweaker was an awesome head. A dude I know that is a major local blues guitar player in a popular band and also works at a high class music store, told me about an awesome little amp he played that a mfg rep brought in to the store: the Tweaker. I told him I heard about it.

I ordered a Tweaker sight unseen and it turned out to be an awesome head. I had been moving away from the SuperSonic 60 to a Marshall DSL 100, an even nicer amp than the SuperSonic, but way more money.

The Tweaker provided me with the sound I wanted plus left me with a lot of money that I used to buy a nice Agile LP copy that I have always wanted; plus I still had considerable money left over.

In my opinion the Supersonic is way overpriced. A decent amp, but only touches in sound on other amps that produce that real nice overdriven sound that the "Burn" setting trys to give. Plus these other amps have a lot more versitility than the SuperSonic. I think my special edition tweed Hot Rod Deluxe sounds just as good as the SuperSonic, and they cost way less. I would imagine that SuperSonic sales are relatively low in the Fender lineup, considering the alternatives, as previously mentioned.

But I also agree that it's a subjective decision and you should do what you want, get what you want, and play through a lot of the alternatives that are within your price zone.

MAXIFUNK
March 11th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Ok, so after having this amp on loan to me for the last month. I can truly say this a great amp and for the price it is truly a steal.
There is not a better amp combo out there for its price point or even higher for a low wattage amp. If you want to call 22 fender watts low. :socool

I have had this thing cranked and it gets plenty loud perfect for damn near any gig and miked its good for any gig. Build quality is spotless not a single flaw period, solid as a cinder block.

Ok, now on to the details of this amp the clean channel 1st.

It is very basic volume, bass, treble, & FAT switch classic fender clean tone but with 2 versions with and without the fat switch. Without the fat switch engaged it sounds like my Deville with the bright switch engaged. With the Fat switch engaged you get a more mid & bass tone with lots more bite to it. I love this setting wish it was on my Deville. You could use it as a clean boost lets say. As always sounds fantastic with pedals.

Now onto the Burn Channel-
Yes you can use it for metal maybe not the growl crazy metal but add a distortion pedal and it done without issue. I bought a ZZ TOP tab book last and never got around to learning the songs until recently you can get killer Texas blues, crunch tones all the way to Disturbed tones out of this amp at any volume levels. It does not have that over the top distortion my buddy's Marshall JVM205C has but for every tone you can get out of the Supersonic 22 it sounds just as good if not better with many tones and can do it at much lower volume levels which the Marshall JVM205C can not do very well. As my buddy said the older supersonic does compare to this amp all, everything I hated about the older version they fixed with this one.

Pros-
Light weight all tube American made amp.
Above average tones for any style of music except massive distortion tones.
Loud enough for any size gig.
Can be easily be hooked up to a larger cab 2-XX or 4-XX

Cons-
People's perception or misconception that fender is not cable of producing a good distorted tone.