PDA

View Full Version : Signed up to run a 10K

t_ross33
September 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM
...on Sept 26th. I'm not in terrible shape, but haven't ran in ages and ages. Any tips to help me train/get in shape? It's a charity run, so I'm not too concerned if I run/walk/run or have to walk part of it, but I would like to try to run the full 10K.

Complete newbie here... help a brother out (:poke Robert)

Robert
September 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Ha, I sure can help! How much have you run the last 6 months?

Sept 26... that's coming up pretty soon!

By the way, my friend and I are looking into festival opportunities. Know of anything in Saskatchewan? Rootys, bluesy, folky style, we have.

t_ross33
September 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
run... not so much, but my work keeps me fairly active. I do bike a bit. I need to work on cardio for sure... 10k might be ambitious, but I like a challenge - lol!

As far as festivals, Saskatchewan has a ton of stuff (and a really vibrant indie/folkie/blues/country scene)...

http://www.tourismsaskatoon.com/festivals (http://www.tourismsaskatoon.com/festivals/)

http://www.tourismregina.com/categoryViewer.php?id=176

http://www.sasktourism.com/things-to-do/events

Hope that helps...

Spudman
September 1st, 2010, 10:02 PM
I'd say to go run the distance at whatever pace feels good then try to improve your time as the weeks go by. Then taper the week before the event so that you are fresh on race day. And, one big word of advice, be sure to go number two before you start the race.

t_ross33
September 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'd say to go run the distance at whatever pace feels good then try to improve your time as the weeks go by. Then taper the week before the event so that you are fresh on race day. And, one big word of advice, be sure to go number two before you start the race.

thanks for the advice, Spuds :running Not too worried about my time at this point... just want to accomplish the task. If this one goes ok, I might consider entering something more competative

bcdon
September 1st, 2010, 10:33 PM
...on Sept 26th. I'm not in terrible shape, but haven't ran in ages and ages. Any tips to help me train/get in shape?
Good for you. Some advice: Pace yourself; try running X minutes and then walking Y minutes; remember it is a run and not a race so have fun; hydrate; eat a banana before the race; go pee before the start too. Have fun! :running

PS: Try and get in a few runs/walks before the race.. you still have some time. A few runs/walks really prevents the pain that you feel after running a 10k with no prep.

omegadot
September 2nd, 2010, 02:34 AM
Drop a deuce beforehand. Good lord don't forget that!

Eric
September 2nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
And, one big word of advice, be sure to go number two before you start the race.
I ran a marathon a few years back with my sister, and we were both so paranoid about emptying our systems that I think we each went to the bathroom about 4 times that morning. It worked, but it was kind of funny at the time.

Good luck, Trev! See if you can do a little training beforehand (maybe build up to 4-5 miles) to prep you for it.

Robert
September 2nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
With less than 4 weeks to go, here is what I recommend:

Week 1: 2 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking. Repeat this 5 times. Do this 3 times this week.

Week 2: 6 minutes of running, 4 minutes of walking. Repeat this 4 times. Do this 3 times this week.

Week 3: 10 minutes of running, 2 minutes of walking. Repeat this 3 times. Do this 3 times this week.

Week 4: 3 - 5 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking. Repeat this 3 times. Do this 2 times this week and allow for 2 days of rest before your 10 km race.

t_ross33
September 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
With less than 4 weeks to go, here is what I recommend:

Week 1: 2 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking. Repeat this 5 times. Do this 3 times this week.

Week 2: 6 minutes of running, 4 minutes of walking. Repeat this 4 times. Do this 3 times this week.

Week 3: 10 minutes of running, 2 minutes of walking. Repeat this 3 times. Do this 3 times this week.

Week 4: 3 - 5 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking. Repeat this 3 times. Do this 2 times this week and allow for 2 days of rest before your 10 km race.

Perfect... Thanks, Robert. I think I can work with this routine :running Now to break in my new running shoes...

t_ross33
September 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
OK, first run of Phase 1 in my new sneakers... and I feel pretty good. Definitely worked up a sweat, but could manage the pace quite easily... could have gone out for another 1/2 hr but don't want to push it at this point.

Thanks again, Robert. I'll be keeping you posted :dance :running

t_ross33
September 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Ran the 10K on Sunday... :running I must admit I did have to walk some. I followed Robert's training schedule over the last 3 weeks and it really helped.

It was a beautiful sunny day, high teens - low 20's (Celsius) but there was a pretty good headwind. All in all a very enjoyable day! Over 300 participants ran their choice of a marathon, 1/2 marathon, 10K or 5K. Proceeds went to the Humboldt District Hospital Foundation to help purchase equipment for our new hospital.

No sore muscles or stiffness at all... but my left knee developed quite a bit of pain by Sunday night :thwap I'll try to mend so I can continue training... this running stuff is kinda addictive :thumbsup

Spudman
September 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Endorphins are a fun, and healthy, addiction. :agree

Congrats on surviving the event. :applause 10K is not an easy task for mere mortals. May you prosper and thrive to do another...and another.:beer:

Robert
September 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Great to hear Trevor!! Now keep it up! :)