PDA

View Full Version : Jamming in the 'Ham

FrankenFretter
September 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
This Labor [Labour] Day weekend is going to be a loud one in Bellingham, Washington. Fellow Fretters BCDon, NWBasser and a few non-fretters will be joining me for a three-day jam session. There promises to be lots of beer, music, and guitar/bass talk. And yes, we'll make sure to post pics.

My conundrum lies in trying to figure out which gear to bring; the Epi LP is a must, and so is the Flamekat, but which amph or amphs? I was thinking about just the Cube 60, but that seems like underkill for such a [soon to be] historic weekend. The Marshall? The Night Train? All three? Decisions, decisions...

Any Fretters who might be around the area, feel free to PM me. Always room for one more, at least at the Brewery!

sunvalleylaw
September 2nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
'Hamfest!!!! "Hamapalooza!!!!!! Boy, I am jealous and wish I could fly on over for the weekend. I used to have fun in B'ham once a year during Ski to Sea. I hope you guys have a ton of fun!

bcdon
September 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
It's going to be a blast! I just hope we don't lose Doug!

EdVHxkv4UDA

NWBasser
September 2nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Sean, better bring all the amphs you got. I'll drag my 600-watt Genz and 4x10, so you'll need every decibal you can get.:ninja

Also, the Genz is a hybrid which means it gets both "tube watts" and "solid state" watts. I figure it adds up to about 2,300-watts on tap if you consider the "Whatcom multiplier" effect too.:rockya

The way I figure it, is that after a short time we'll all have "beer ears" and I'll need every watt and square inch of speaker cone I have.:dude

I'm toying with the idea of bringing the jazz bass in addition to the Clement.

Decisions, decisions....

I wonder if the rooms have mini fridges for my porters?

Oh, yeah....:beer: :beer: :beer:

piebaldpython
September 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Jamming in the 'Ham

:hungry Uh.....hmmmmmmmm....uh.......I saw the title of your thread.......and I thought, Oh Dear Lord.......:poke .......they're "going after" the farm animals.......:thwap

Have fun. Thanks for the laugh.

FrankenFretter
September 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
It's going to be a blast! I just hope we don't lose Doug!

EdVHxkv4UDA

Don, I told you we are definitely stealing Mike Tyson's tiger. Oh, and a cop car.

Good times.

FrankenFretter
September 2nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Sean, better bring all the amphs you got. I'll drag my 600-watt Genz and 4x10, so you'll need every decibal you can get.:ninja

Also, the Genz is a hybrid which means it gets both "tube watts" and "solid state" watts. I figure it adds up to about 2,300-watts on tap if you consider the "Whatcom multiplier" effect too.:rockya

The way I figure it, is that after a short time we'll all have "beer ears" and I'll need every watt and square inch of speaker cone I have.:dude

I'm toying with the idea of bringing the jazz bass in addition to the Clement.

Decisions, decisions....

I wonder if the rooms have mini fridges for my porters?

Oh, yeah....:beer: :beer: :beer:

I don't know if that cheap hotel has fridges. We'll be lucky if there's no dead hookers under the mattresses.

We can always fill the tub [in your room] with ice. Just sayin'.

Kazz
September 3rd, 2010, 05:32 AM
that video is hilarious. I love that scene in the movie.

bcdon
September 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Don, I told you we are definitely stealing Mike Tyson's tiger. Oh, and a cop car.

Good times.

No way, man. If we steal any tigers it will have to be Seigfried and Roy's because I'm sure we could kick their butts! :-)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/28/Siegfried_roy_statue.jpg/800px-Siegfried_roy_statue.jpg

bcdon
September 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
I don't know if that cheap hotel has fridges. We'll be lucky if there's no dead hookers under the mattresses.

We can always fill the tub [in your room] with ice. Just sayin'.
Since I am going South Of The Border, I'm glad I got all my shots!! :french :dance

FrankenFretter
September 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM
No way, man. If we steal any tigers it will have to be Seigfried and Roy's because I'm sure we could kick their butts! :-)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/28/Siegfried_roy_statue.jpg/800px-Siegfried_roy_statue.jpg

Wow...those guys were a lot tougher than they looked. Never again!

FrankenFretter
September 6th, 2010, 08:58 PM
The jam didn't quite work out the way we'd planned, due to us being forcibly kicked out of our intended jam space, but we made the best of it. We played in the hotel room, at very low volumes, and then again at a friend's house later on Saturday night.

Thanks again to BCDon, NWBasser and Tom Thacker. We took our lemon and made some tasty lemonade. Pics to be posted soon!

FrankenFretter
September 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I only took a few. NWBasser took more, so hopefully he'll post those soon. Here's my contribution:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TIWrbvjqwHI/AAAAAAAAAkk/p9u14qr1qYs/s288/100_2067.JPGhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TIWrb3MskTI/AAAAAAAAAko/SsjcAJPTdqk/s288/100_2069.JPGhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TIWrcJmXTpI/AAAAAAAAAks/fHV27vsJIh0/s288/100_2070.JPGhttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TIWrcXQEsjI/AAAAAAAAAkw/P1D8U6yuRoI/s800/100_2071.JPG

The first is NWBasser playing BCDon's Zoot Suit, then Thomas playing my Epi Tribute LP through BCDon's Jet City, then BCDon playing my Epi Flamekat, then a group shot of the guitars/bass.

sunvalleylaw
September 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Glad you guys got together anyhow. So we have to hear the story . . . How did you get physically kicked out of your jam space? :hungry :spank

FrankenFretter
September 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Glad you guys got together anyhow. So we have to hear the story . . . How did you get physically kicked out of your jam space? :hungry :spank

Well Steve...it's a strange thing. I really don't understand what happened. Friday night we're out drinking beer and having a good time, and Saturday morning we're told that we need to come and get our stuff, it's all out in my "friend"'s backyard. No explanation, even though I asked for one. I still have no idea what happened to him after we parted company on Friday night, but apparently he blames me for whatever it was. Hmmmm...could it have something to do with the tiger in his bathroom? Unclear.

Seriously, it was a stressful situation, and there was a real feeling of potential violence on the part of this former friend. It kills me to not know what it is that set him off, but I think I just have to let it go at this point. He's not offering any explanation, and I'm done with him. There was absolutely nothing that happened that would warrant that kind of reaction from a reasonable person. BC Don will back me up on this, but this guy was having a good time right up until we parted company for the night. I'm baffled and disappointed, but I don't think any kind of apology would wash away the feeling of being threatened with a handgun. Oh, yeah...forgot to add that. It was from behind a closed door, and it was never pointed at me, but it was cocked while in my view. Yikes, to say the least.

Next time we'll find a rental hall or something.

MAXIFUNK
September 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Well Steve...it's a strange thing. I really don't understand what happened. Friday night we're out drinking beer and having a good time, and Saturday morning we're told that we need to come and get our stuff, it's all out in my "friend"'s backyard. No explanation, even though I asked for one. I still have no idea what happened to him after we parted company on Friday night, but apparently he blames me for whatever it was. Hmmmm...could it have something to do with the tiger in his bathroom? Unclear.

Seriously, it was a stressful situation, and there was a real feeling of potential violence on the part of this former friend. It kills me to not know what it is that set him off, but I think I just have to let it go at this point. He's not offering any explanation, and I'm done with him. There was absolutely nothing that happened that would warrant that kind of reaction from a reasonable person. BC Don will back me up on this, but this guy was having a good time right up until we parted company for the night. I'm baffled and disappointed, but I don't think any kind of apology would wash away the feeling of being threatened with a handgun. Oh, yeah...forgot to add that. It was from behind a closed door, and it was never pointed at me, but it was cocked while in my view. Yikes, to say the least.

DAMN THAT'S SOME FOUL S@#$ for sure. Better off cutting this fool loose for sure. Well at least you guys had a chance to hang and vibe.

BTW, no strat's or tele's in that crowd sacrilege I tell you sacrilege!! :)

Eric
September 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Wow, that's a crappy situation. I wonder what made him flip like that. Anyway, good to hear that you still had fun with it.

syo
September 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
but I don't think any kind of apology would wash away the feeling of being threatened with a handgun. Oh, yeah...forgot to add that. It was from behind a closed door, and it was never pointed at me, but it was cocked while in my view. Yikes, to say the least.
ehhhh...what can I say but, "gulp".

Well I should think excellent idea, that. Perhaps if there's still room for one more next year I'll pop over. Before hearing the details of Hamfest '10 I was secretly wishing I could be there too. I have a dear brother in Oregon I could visit too just a ham's throw away.

Glad you're all safe.
That's one thing about Japan, we're largely gunless. Don't miss them at all. Yikes...

Heywood Jablomie
September 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Sean, just letting you know in advance: I don't have any guns......

FrankenFretter
September 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Sean, just letting you know in advance: I don't have any guns......

Well Heywood, as you know, we live in the land of God and Guns. Down here I would expect everyone I know to have a gun. I'm almost surprised when they don't. I don't have any either, by the way. I'm not anti-gun, just anti-getting a gun in your face.

And Syo- You'd be welcome to attend next year, although it may be in the Seattle area instead of Bellingham. Depending on where your brother lives, we could even carpool.

Man, it's good to be back at work where I feel safe. At least I don't work in the Post Office.:thumbsup

NWBasser
September 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
DAMN THAT'S SOME FOUL S@#$ for sure. Better off cutting this fool loose for sure. Well at least you guys had a chance to hang and vibe.

BTW, no strat's or tele's in that crowd sacrilege I tell you sacrilege!! :)

Hey Maxi, I represented Fender with my jazz dlx!

Regarding the gun dude, oftentimes human actions defy all reasonable explanation.:crazyguy

The whole weekend was a heap of fun for me and Don is one of the coolest people I've met. He has some really wicked good guitars too!

It was a disappointment to keep my amp down so low though. The 10-inch neos really wake up tonewise with a bit of juice going through them.

bcdon
September 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Man, what a blast we had! I haven't had that much fun in a very long time. Sean and NWBasser are such great guys.. they're like the brothers I always wished I had. Can't wait for next year's adventure! :dude

sunvalleylaw
September 8th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Wow, sorry about your friend wigging out. Maybe it will cool down. Glad it did not get more serious, and that you guys had fun anyway! :thumbsup

Brian Krashpad
September 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Wow, locos with handguns.

Yoiks!

Sorry to hear about that. In the future it will become a great story to tell, and in the meantime you had fun despite it.

Good onya.

NWBasser
September 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
One of my pics of the Les Paul fest.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/guitarweekend003.jpg

Brian Krashpad
September 15th, 2010, 07:17 AM
One of my pics of the Les Paul fest.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/guitarweekend003.jpg

Haha, cool. I didn't know they make "Agile" t-shirts.

FrankenFretter
September 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Haha, cool. I didn't know they make "Agile" t-shirts.

Free when you purchase your 4th guitar at Rondo. I had a punchcard.

I jest. You can find them (http://www.rondomusic.com/product2684.html) on the Rondo site. At $9.99, it was good enough that I couldn't pass it up.