PDA

View Full Version : Can You Recommend Some Good Flamenco Players/Albums?

windycityblues
September 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hey everybody. I really enjoy flamenco guitar and I'm looking to buy more flamenco albums. I have a few by Carlos Montoya, and "Entre Dos Aguas" by Paco De Lucia. I also own two albums of De Lucia with jazz guitarists John McLaughlin and Al Dimeola. Can you recommend some more flamenco artists/albums. Thanks in advance for any help.

FrankenFretter
September 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hey everybody. I really enjoy flamenco guitar and I'm looking to buy more flamenco albums. I have a few by Carlos Montoya, and "Entre Dos Aguas" by Paco De Lucia. I also own two albums of De Lucia with jazz guitarists John McLaughlin and Al Dimeola. Can you recommend some more flamenco artists/albums. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rodrigo y Gabriella. Excellent stuff from a pair that used to have a Metal band in Mexico City. All the albums are good, but I really like their live stuff.

Presto
September 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
How about Sabicas?

windycityblues
September 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
Rodrigo y Gabriella. Excellent stuff from a pair that used to have a Metal band in Mexico City. All the albums are good, but I really like their live stuff.

Yes, I do own several of their albums and they are awesome!

windycityblues
September 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
How about Sabicas?

I'll look into that.

kiteman
September 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
This fellow here has been posting in several forums under theory. He offered lessons and such so you might want to check him out.

http://www.rdiaz.org/

FrankenFretter
September 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
As our friend BCDon will tell you, Jesse Cook is really good, too.

NWBasser
September 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Slash.

No, really!

A friend of mine was playing a CD of some super-cool flamenco. I asked who it was. "Slash" he replied.

marnold
September 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
I've got a couple albums. One is by Luis Robisco Y Garibaldi. It's called "Guitarra Flamenca Homenaje A Cameron." The other one is by Juan Serrano called "Sabor Flamenco." The latter is mostly guitar only with only things like castanets thrown in in spots. The former has more full-band arrangements. While the guitar is still king, there are some additions of keyboards and such in places which I can find a bit distracting. Nevertheless I like them both. Both are available from Amazon, although the first is listed as "Garivaldi" instead of "Garibaldi." I think I downloaded them both from eMusic a long time ago.

Presto
September 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
You know what? I just remembered that Steve Stevens released a flamenco-style album called Flamenco a Go Go. It's an interesting take on it and very much worth listening to, imo.

Presto
September 3rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
I've got a couple albums. One is by Luis Robisco Y Garibaldi. It's called "Guitarra Flamenca Homenaje A Cameron." The other one is by Juan Serrano called "Sabor Flamenco." The latter is mostly guitar only with only things like castanets thrown in in spots. The former has more full-band arrangements. While the guitar is still king, there are some additions of keyboards and such in places which I can find a bit distracting. Nevertheless I like them both. Both are available from Amazon, although the first is listed as "Garivaldi" instead of "Garibaldi." I think I downloaded them both from eMusic a long time ago.

Serrano's pretty amazing. I've been fortunate enough to see him play without having to go to much trouble since I went to the university he taught at.

Katastrophe
September 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
How about Ottmar Liebert?

This one's sort of a flamenco-ish tune with a jazzy feel.

7dCMvZ4lBKI

windycityblues
September 4th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks to everybody for all the help. I actually heard in the past that slash was very much into flamenco style guitar, but I wasn't aware that he had actually made any recordings playing flamenco. I will certainly have to check that out. Do you happen to know the title of the album?

I actually do own "Sabor Flamenco", and it's a great combination of flamenco with a jazz feel. Juan Serrano has been around a long time and I really need to look into more of his recordings.

I have heard a lot about Jesse Cook, and I had kinda forgotten about him until you just mentioned him, so I will definitely check out some of his stuff.

Feel free to add more suggestions!

poodlesrule
September 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Look up Juanito Pascual <juanitopascual.com>. I have seen him perform a few times. Well crafted music, fun personality!

He is semi-local to us, and teaches a guitar program at the New England Conservatory, I think. He performs often around Boston and in New England.
Fun personality too!

Robert
September 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Eric Steen
http://www.myspace.com/eriksteenflamencofusion

msteeln
September 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM
You might like this...

kdoXBJzjBUg&feature=related

tg5o5zpbqt4&feature=related

6L9l3ucWhJ4&feature=related

kidsmoke
September 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Windy City Blues, are you Chicago based?
If so, there is a good group that has been playing more and more around town, Guitarra Azul. Good friends of mine, and getting more and more serious all the time. Flamenco/Latin fusion.

if you're local, they play at a restaurant locally every week here in town. My GF and I go there for Margaritas and tunes. Very cool when you have 6 musicians and three of them are percussion, 2 flamenco guitarists, and a bass. The place is always hoppin'

4kBn53yu_q0

windycityblues
September 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Windy City Blues, are you Chicago based?
If so, there is a good group that has been playing more and more around town, Guitarra Azul. Good friends of mine, and getting more and more serious all the time. Flamenco/Latin fusion.

if you're local, they play at a restaurant locally every week here in town. My GF and I go there for Margaritas and tunes. Very cool when you have 6 musicians and three of them are percussion, 2 flamenco guitarists, and a bass. The place is always hoppin'

Yes, I'm local and I'd love to go check them out. What's the name and address of the restaurant and what days do they play?

kidsmoke
September 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
cool. I sent you a PM.

windycityblues
September 6th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info Tio Kimo. I will certainly stop in and check them out.