PDA

View Full Version : Yet another D/I guitar test jam

deeaa
September 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Wife watched The Top Model show so I went downstairs and picked a semirandom D-chord based clean bit and then played some more improv over it, and then added some backing quiet voices at the end with Amplitube.

The purpose of this was, this was the first time I played with Amplitube direct on DAW so that I had latency so low I could hear what I played at all times, instead of just clean guitar.

IMO it is surprising how well it handles playing dynamics. In the end I had to add a compressor to even the volume out...but it is nice to play when you hear what you play and can ride the delay too.

Anyway...

http://deeaa.pp.fi/clips/testimh.mp3

So it's my Davette (EMG85 into my DAW, that's it)
In the latter part it goes into more drive by accident; I had the guitar vol a little lower at first and when I upped it was just a touch too loud, so it's more driven than I meant it to be...kinda icepickey there at times....but didn't want to play it again, pressed for time.

deeaa
September 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM
No comments? Well not that I'm desperate for one but anyhow ;-)

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 08:49 AM
What are we commenting on? The tone? The song?

I like the first part. After the slightly-over-the-top guitar came in, it lost a little of the vibe it had going on, but was still pretty tasteful.

Both the backing guitar and lead guitar tones in the first part were really nice too -- very appropriate.

deeaa
September 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks...;-) the tone I had in mind, it's no song just quick improv on D...but tje tone...I guess I just have a hard time believing how good can amplitube sound d/i just semi-randomly selecting presets...when I think how hard it'd be to achieve those sounds recording an amp...it just is starting to feel plain stupid to even try. Or does it sound pretty good to others too? That's what I wish for in comments...I need support to be a believer I guess :-)

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Well, the thing is that I'm far from a tone snob. I find a lot of stuff that sounds good, even supposedly crappy tones like the ones in "Crazy Train" or "Are You Gonna Go My Way?". If it suits the song, I'm game.

Your tone sounded good. Not fall-out-of-my-seat good, but I'm not even sure I'd know astounding tone if it hit me in the face. I'm more a fan of good-enough tone and excellent note selection/phrasing/touch. The recording seemed to provide that.