PDA

View Full Version : New song with some Dobro parts

jpfeifer
September 6th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been hard at work on a few new songs in the home studio as part of an effort to produce some songs that my daughter has written. For this latest tune we started with a poem that my brother wrote about his dog, and I wrote the music for it along with my daughter.

I used the new Dobro to put some solos and fills onto the tune to give it more of an acoustic blues type of feel. I used my electric along the Dobro to trade off during the solo section to give it more variety.

The song is called "It's a Dog's Life" on the following page:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1002211

Thanks for listening.
--Jim

helliott
September 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I quite liked this. Nice arrangement and overall feel. Has a bit of a Sheryl Crow thing happening.

jpfeifer
September 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks helliott.

I wasn't really going for a Sheryl Crow sound on this one, but the groove we settled on had that type of sound. This was the first time I'd used my new Dobro on some tracks so it also made it sound more this way since Sheryl Crow had used a lap steel on her early tracks.

Thanks for listening to the track!

--Jim

piebaldpython
September 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Good tune. Amanda has a nice, interesting voice. Nice playing on the Dobro and electric by the way. Excellent sense of melody with chord tones on both gits. Did you use High Bass Open G (G-B-D-G-B-D) on the Dobro?

jpfeifer
September 13th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hi piebaldpython,

Thanks!

Yes, I used the standard open G tuning on the Dobro (G-B-D-G-B-D) low to high. I'm still getting my bearings with that tuning. Some things layout very easy with that tuning and other things seem much harder. The toughest part with the Dobro, for me, is staying in tune in different places along the neck. Certain areas are much easier than others, but it seems to get easier the more I play it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Thanks again for listening, --Jim

Blaze
September 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Great stuff Jim ...impressive playin in there ,nice Dobro and guitar licks..

Amanda has a real talent..

Thats a cool song ,bravo to the Pfeifer family..:applause :applause