PDA

View Full Version : Agile AL3100 on its way.

Duffy
September 7th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Agile AL3100 flammed maple cherry burst. Maybe today.

My anxiety is not super high becaue I have waited a long time to get an Agile for myself already.

I bought an AL2000 white w gold trim for Charity's grandson along with a Peavey Royal 8 amp. I thought the amp was great by the way and modable.

When I compared the Agile AL2000 to my new Xavier XV500 I thought the Agile was quite noticeably better constructed with better overall components. I did not A/B the sound though and I must say that the Xavier sounds really good with the three quarter inch maple cap and the stock chrome covered crunchy PAT GFS humbuckers.

I like the Xavier but think this AL3100 will sound better and be way better constructed. I will A/B them as well as my Epiphone LP Std plus top with Seymour Duncan covered JB bridge and 59 neck, an awesome sounding guitar.

I will get out the camera and take some pictures of them lined up, outside in the natural light.

Any other owners of the AL3100?

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Any other owners of the AL3100?
Yep, I have one. It tends to be my go-to axe for pretty much everything. I haven't replaced the pickups, as I've seen no real need to do so.

I hope you like it, Duff. I think it's a great guitar. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Duffy
September 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM
What color did you get Eric? I almost got black. Got a great deal on the cherry burst one.

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 05:48 AM
What color did you get Eric? I almost got black. Got a great deal on the cherry burst one.
I think I got the same as you, cherry sunburst. Even though this is an old-ish picture, you can see it here:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/101974bf850343e88c.jpg

Monkus
September 7th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I have the 3100 wide, bought it after reviewing it extensively, its a great guitar! I had planned also to change the pups, but I like them the way they are. Might change the switch though.

Rondo page photo:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_96594b9f8d6482015.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1531)

My photo:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_96594c862b3305f8f.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1768)

Cant seem to get it bigger, you'll have to clk on it.

Duffy
September 7th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Really nice guitars.

That's the same color as mine Eric, but your telecaster next to the Seagull - it doesn't look like a Highway One. Is that a different tele?

Duffy
September 7th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Oh yeah - strings.

I'm putting new strings on right away.

What are you guys using for strings on your AL3100's?

I think they come with tens.

I want to replace them with the same thing that's on it so I don't have to mess with the truss rod, hopefully.

I usually use nines but if tens are on it like the Rondo page says, I can appreciate tens with no problem.

So, what gauge strings are you guys using?

Thanks for the feedback.

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM
That's the same color as mine Eric, but your telecaster next to the Seagull - it doesn't look like a Highway One. Is that a different tele?
That's an SX tele I used to have that I traded (along with some other gear) for the Godin.

I used 11s on the Agile, which I like, though I've recently used some lighter strings on other guitars, and I was surprised by the increased playability. I guess it's up to you, but I had mine set up with 11s, so that's what I'm sticking with for the time being.

Duffy
September 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
It looks like an SX with the new headstock I'm not thrilled with, no offense Eric - I just can't seem to develop a taste for that chef knife headstock shape.

I even emailed Kurt at Rondo last week and asked him if there was any way they could change the headstock to something more appealing to a greater number of people. G and L has a decent alternative and so do a lot of other strat and tele approximators. I even offered to sketch out a headstock design that would be easy to retro finish or incorporate into future designs. He said he was always open to design ideas, legal ones anyway.

I think he could stay legal and still develop a classy headstock.

I have two old school SX strats that I guess I'm keeping. They have the old headstocks and are probably great moding platforms. Both have been modded with locking tuners and stainless steel block saddles. They would be really cool with new pots, switch, and a really nice pearl pickguard. Both of them are candy apple red, one is a maple board the other is rosewood.

Rondo has one model of tele on the website right now with the traditional strat type headstock for 109 and it is very tempting to get as a modding platform but I have enough projects going on right now.

I'm going to stick with the tens on the Agile if that's what it comes with. Otherwise I use a lot of nines for sensitive nuances to the notes with no effort at all.

I put a set of tens, phosphor bronze on my Seagull S6 and a set of thirteens on my Samick Jumbo. They both sound great but different. The Jumbo is loud and the Seagull is mellow.

I don't want to mess with the set up on the Agile unless I have to. The clowns around here, I'm sure, don't know how to do a good set up at the stores. I need to find someone that knows how to do a good set up without travelling too far. Such is living in the sticks.

When you had your Agile set up did you have a pro do it, Eric? Did it sound way better after the set up or was it close from the mfg? I had a place around here do a set up on a new strat I bought and they had the bridge plate angling up in the air about five sixteenths off of the body at the bottom. I had to have someone else straighten it out.

I think I know where a tech is that can do a real good job of setting up the Agile if you guys think it is necessary. I'll check it with my tuner and see how close it is as far as intonation goes.

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
When you had your Agile set up did you have a pro do it, Eric? Did it sound way better after the set up or was it close from the mfg?
I did have a pro do it -- the guy I trust all repair work to. He's over in NJ, so it's not real quick to get to him, but he has my business.

The setup out of the box wasn't bad. Intonation was off a little bit, and I think he lowered the action a bit and adjusted the truss rod as needed for the 11s. I didn't know anything about setting up a guitar back when I bought it, so I just brought it in and had him do a standard setup. Works great now, but it was pretty good beforehand too.

Regarding the SX headstock, I don't mind it too much. I no longer have the guitar, so I don't care too much, but it never bothered me when I did have it.

kiteman
September 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I had one for 3 years then I sold it, couldn't bear the weight anymore. I went to strats then. That's me wearing the hunk of wood. :)

http://a.imageshack.us/img261/7550/me01001.jpg (http://img261.imageshack.us/i/me01001.jpg/)

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I had one for 3 years then I sold it, couldn't bear the weight anymore.
You know, I've determined that when I'm actually playing it, it's not the weight that hurts my neck/back -- it's me looking down all of the time. These days, what really gets me about the weight of the Agile is when I just grab an axe to mess around on at home. It's really clunky for those purposes.

Bloozcat
September 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've got a 3100M wide, with a 3/4" plain maple top in CSB. It's a superb guitar.

The weight's not that bad with a good wide strap to spread it out a bit.

duhvoodooman
September 7th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I've got an ebony AL-3000 with the wide profile neck. Differs from the 3100 only in the fact that the neck inlays are abalone rather than MoP. Beautiful guitar, very well built, great workmanship, and plays like a dream. While the stock bridge pickup sounded quite good, I wasn't impressed by the neck p'up, which was a bit on the dull/muddy side. I installed a set of Guitarforce "Lord of the Blues" humbuckers in it, thanks to a tip from Bloozcat, and it now sounds just great at all pickup settings. Photos:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/AL-3000/al3000_full.jpg http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/AL-3000/al3000_body.jpg

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
The weight's not that bad with a good wide strap to spread it out a bit.
I agree, and that's the point I was making -- it's more that the weight is annoying when I just want to pick up and play for a few minutes at home.

FrankenFretter
September 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hey Duff, I think you'll be really happy with your choice. I have the AL3000, which is the same except for the inlay, which is abalone on mine. I also have the Epi Tribute LP, like you do. They compare pretty favorably.

I did change the pickups, and all the cream trim parts for black. The pickups that came on it were fine, but I just wanted to change things up a bit. Here's a photo I took this afternoon:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TIa7y5IWUEI/AAAAAAAAAlU/7bXlrbFqwok/s400/100_2075.JPG

It now has the GFS VEH (Vintage Extra Hot) pickups. I've grown fond of them. They're not as warm as the Gibby 57s in my Tribute, but they sound pretty dang good.

kiteman
September 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I just realized that mine was a 3000, not the 3100. I chose mine black because it was all mahogany, no maple cap.

Anyway later I put in EMG 81 & 60, removed two knob and installed EXG and Afterburner. Uses up batteries (18v mod) but jammin' sob. :)

Duffy
September 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Frankenfretter,

Ya, we do have some of the same stuff: I have a new style V Jr. w cab currently hooked up to my Epi So. Cal. cabinet for awesome tone even straight up, an old-ish Marshall Valvestate VS30R without a tube just straight ss that I want to put a new speaker in - I think it is worn out, dried out, bought Charity's grandson a new Peavey Royal 8 and thought it was a great tube amp worthy of some mods like a new speaker and something else I read about but it sounded real real good with a lot of tonal variety out of just those few knobs if you messed with them. I have a Egnater Tweaker on the way, supposed to show up on Thursday, which is supposed to be a lot like the Night Train, and want to get a pickup booster - either a Boosta Grande or preferably at this point, a Seymour Duncan "Pickup Booster" that fattens up single coils in addition to the boost function.

I DO like the black trim you put on the Agile cherry burst flame. Where did you get that stuff? Rondo? I'd like to do that. Nice pickups. My Xavier XV500 has stock GFS hot crunchy PAT humbuckers, chrome covered that sound really good and push the tube amp into very early overdrive even on the clean channel, which I like. I'll use my strats for clean headroom. I like a driving LP type guitar. How do those GFS pickups sound? Better than the stock Agile alnico fives? Are the GFS's ceramic magnets?

Question: How do you use your Boosta Grande? Do you use it with both the ss and tube amps? How does it work? Do you crank it up to max boost or find a happy medium?

My understanding is that it hits the tube preamp with a stronger signal that sends it into earlier preamp overdrive at lower volumes. Is this correct or do I have it wrong. I'm thinking it gives you less clean headroom if you crank it up to high boost values.

I spent some time at a local guitar store tonight and helped a guy pick out a new guitar - he got an Ibanez ART100 in beautiful deep maroon trans stain over the natural mahogany top. Great sounding guitar. Sounded better than some SD JB and 59 equipped LTD's. Passive HB's, beautiful sound a little less hot than the SD's but really toneful. One great sounding and playing and looking guitar for less than three hundred. Nice starter guitar. I helped him pick one out and worked it thru the voices of a Super Champ XD. He played a Viper, ART300, and LTD EC256, but the Ibanez ART100 had them all beat in the same price range, we both agree'd. He went home with the guitar. It felt good to help someone sort thru the dilema of picking out the best guitar from several. I advised him that how it sounds, feels, and playability should probably take precedence over preconceived ideas before going into the store, price, and brand name. I advised him to get a solid brand name because he is going to get into a band and that the audition would look at his equipment brand names as well as him, quality of his gear, etc. Then I asked him if he wanted to play thru a band quality Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and he said yes. He liked that but the Peavey Delta Blues two ten inch speaker one he liked better - better distortion channel and just better sounding amp.

Which brings me to: when I got home I got my Limitted Edition lacquered tweed Hot Rod Deluxe with Jensen P12n speaker out of my guitar room and bought it to my bedroom where my amp wall is. I plugged that in and played my G and L Tribute series ASAT classic tele thru it and it sounded WAY better than the stock one at the store. Even the overdrive channels sounded great. Then I plugged in my Fender mahogany FMT dual SD humbucker set neck black cherry burst telecaster into it and it really sounded nice. Sometimes getting the premium version pays off in the long run - this sounds so much better than the stock HRDX.

By the way, the Deluxe series Fender amps have all been replaced with a new Deluxe III version with an audio taper volume knob and better distortion channel; and all the old Hot Rod series are all being blown out - the Hot Rod Blues Jr's, Devilles, Blues Deluxes, and Hot Rod Deluxes. I don't know, my distortion channel is one of the best I've played, but it is a special edition with a big buck speaker. I got that HRDX for like 400 dollars in a Music 123 sale promotion that they misprinted, but they stood behind the ones they sold for 400 - it was supposed to be on sale for 799. Lucked out majorly on that lacquered tweed beautiful amp, real lacquered tweed - not contact paper photo finish immitation tweed looking, like on the Peavey Delta Blues awesome fifteen inch speaker amp I have. I didn't even notice the contact paper for months until it started curling.

My Hot Rod Deluxe amp will aggravate any LOUD drummer, which was my main reason for getting it. I can't stand an arrogant drummer yelling to you, "Hey man, why don't you get a real amp!", because your current amp isn't loud enough to cut through his slamming. Why don't these drummers learn some dynamics and try to learn how to play at volumes other than full tilt boogie? My pro drummer friend does that - slammer thing all the time. He's good, but only knows how to slam.

I cranked that HRDX to the max this evening and it shook the house. I plan on playing it a lot. It has not been played at all in over a year and before that only slightly for a couple years. I guess I was trying to "save" it. I'm not saving things anymore, I'm going to enjoy things. I also think playing stuff is better for it than letting it sit there with no current flowing thru it.

I'm getting the 3100 cherry burst flamed maple top Wednesday morning at nine thirty - picking it up at the Fed Ex place. Putting on new tens and then take some pictures. Hopefully I will get them posted. I will probably spend a few hours messing with the 3100 before doing anything else. My anxiety is right up there and I hope I get a real nice one, well set up, low action, buzzless. I talked to a tech today and he said he would do a complete set up for me on Thursday when I bring it in to show it to him.

By the way, I played an Epiphone Prophecy LP with dirty fingers Gibson pickups the other day - awesome guitar, great sound.

Also, I'd buy an Ibanez ART100 in a minute, without even questioning it, if it sounded like the one we were playing tonight - great inexpensive guitar. Same price as the 3100 I bought - 299 brand new not a B stock, lucked out.

I'm looking forward to another really heavy LP type guitar, although that Ibanez ART100 LP type was mahogany but thin bodied and very light compared to my Epiphones and Michael Kelly Patriot Custom.

I will let you all know how that Tweaker amp turns out, in my opinion. It comes in to Fed Ex on Thursday. I can always send it back and get a Bugera V22 or a Jet City twenty watt head if I think it isn't all it's claimed to be.

I have been wanting an Agile for a long long time and I'm glad I waited it out until I could afford one of the nicer models. I hope I get a good one and don't have to go thru the send it back for one that doesn't have any problems, like I had to do with my Xavier XV500 - but the one I eventually got is a very nice guitar that could use a few minor upgrades to make it a major guitar.

Well, enough anxiety venting. I'll let you guys know how the Agile looks, feels and plays in the morning or afternoon.

FrankenFretter
September 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Frankenfretter,

I DO like the black trim you put on the Agile cherry burst flame. Where did you get that stuff? Rondo? I'd like to do that. Nice pickups. My Xavier XV500 has stock GFS hot crunchy PAT humbuckers, chrome covered that sound really good and push the tube amp into very early overdrive even on the clean channel, which I like. I'll use my strats for clean headroom. I like a driving LP type guitar. How do those GFS pickups sound? Better than the stock Agile alnico fives? Are the GFS's ceramic magnets?

Yeah, I got everything but the "Rhythm/Treble" switch plate from Rondo. Those GFS VEH pickups sound good; they're not as vintage sounding as I was expecting, but they still are a warm-sounding pu'p. They use AlNiCo V magnets, same as the Agile stock. The stock pickups actually sounded really good. I'd say the GFS pickups sound hotter, though. Not a lot hotter, just a bit.

Question: How do you use your Boosta Grande? Do you use it with both the ss and tube amps? How does it work? Do you crank it up to max boost or find a happy medium?

My understanding is that it hits the tube preamp with a stronger signal that sends it into earlier preamp overdrive at lower volumes. Is this correct or do I have it wrong. I'm thinking it gives you less clean headroom if you crank it up to high boost values.

I use it at the front of my pedal chain. I don't use it with the Roland Cube, since the one time I tried that it sounded terrible. I run my Night Train and the Marshall in stereo, and the boost pedal does well with that combination. It isn't really designed to add more dirt, but you're right; it does hit the preamp harder. Running clean, I really haven't had any problems with it messing with the clean headroom. With some guitars it just makes them louder, some it just makes them a bit more "present". I vary the amount of boost depending on the guitar and the sound I want.

Hope that answers your questions, Duffy. By the way, I really don't like my Peavey Royal 8. The overdrive sounds brittle, like a kazoo. I changed out the speaker for a Jensen Mod, but that didn't make much difference. Also changed the preamp tube for a different Sylvania 12AX7, but that also made no difference. What mods have you heard about for that amph?

Duffy
September 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
The Agile is home.

It came with the action so low that the strings were only less than a sixteenth of an inch off of the fretboard. The neck, however, looked nice and straight with a little convex curvature on the board.

I stopped at a local high class music store that Chris Bovard, the "Kahunna", as in "The Kahunna" Heritage LP copy guitar; named after Chris who is a great blues guitar player in a super good blues band. He is a friend of mine. Within two minutes he raised up the bridge and tuned it up with super low buzz free action, and sent me into the amp room to test it out. Before I got a chance to play it Chris came in the room and I handed him the guitar and he played it thru an awesome Kustom '36 Coupe tube amp. The guitar sounded great in his hands. He had raised the pickups and told me that they were balanced very well in volume and set up right.

Then I played it and drifted into dream land, laying down some blues lines and grooving on the mellow tone of the guitar thru the '36 Coupe in vintage overdrive. Very mellow sounding in all switch positions. Then I switched to the clean channel and played some rock and more blues, drifting into dream land and losing track of time, immersed in the groove and enjoying the tone as I let it roll out with no particular place to go. Very enjoyable.

The guitar is awesome. I'm about to put some new D'darrio tens on it right now.

After playing the Agile I took down a beautiful beautiful Michael Kelly Patriot in one of the best spalted maple patterns I've seen. This five hundred dollar guitar sounded great tuned up and played thru the Coupe. Rockfield zebra open coil pickups, not sure which humbucker design but very nice and bright compared to the Agile and it hit the notes with charm and the playability was superb. I could see getting this guitar for a birthday or Christmas present, maybe lay it away.

Of further mention on the Agile, I noticed that when playing "Midnight Rider" the chords fell into my hands with minimum effort on the chunky feeling neck, which I liked the feel of a lot.

The Agile definitely feels different than my other LP type guitars, primarily I suppose in the neck. The guitar resonates incredibly. I think a heavier neck has more mass and the mahogany resonates more and carries a deeper very full tone down into the body and to the pickups. This may be partly contributory to the deeper more mellow tone than the Michael Kelly Patriot, but then again the mellowness may be due to the need for a new set of strings. I will be finding out shortly.

The Agile is a great guitar. Beautiful with the cherry flammed burst and transparent neck and classy looking double binding. The covered humbuckers are unlike any others I own: they are brushed nickel and make for a slightly demure vibe to an otherwise pretty flashy looking guitar, cherry burst flame and all. The tuners feel great.

Also made an agreement to start getting lessons with Chris in the blues starting next Thursday. Having this chance to learn from a great player like Chris is a great thing.

Now on to the re-stringing and a follow up on how it affects the sound. Hopefully it will sound better than my barking dogs out in the back yard right now, LOL.

kiteman
September 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Pics man pics. :poke

duhvoodooman
September 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Pics man pics.
+1!!

:worthless

Tig
September 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
+1!!

Plus 11'ty!
Come on with the GAS vending... We can take it!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2971221387_85b6e3f3c0.jpg
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Strange/gas_mask.jpg

Duffy
September 9th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Almost took the pictures yesterday.

Today I pick up the Tweaker. I'll get some pictures today, but I have to take care of a couple things today; pick up new glasses and some other stuff but that will be early this morning.

Then on to Tweakerville for the fun. I also want to get the Xavier in the pictures and some of my other new upgrades to my guitar collection, like my tele's and my hot rodded Squire strat with the Fat '50s Custom Shop pickups. Also the pickguard mod on my Squier Std tele so I can pull the pickguard straight up to take it off, switch pickups, etc. I installed the neck pickup directly onto the new aged pearl white pickguard instead of leaving it screwed into the body like on the old style tele neck pickup mounting system. I like this way better. Makes way more sense. Also I don't think I posted any pictures of my mahogany SD dual humbucker set mahogany neck black cherry flame burst Fender FMT HH special edition telecaster - awesome guitar in my opinion. Play it all the time and it sits right here with the new Agile.

The Agile sounds super great with the stock pickups. Don't know whay I would like to change them. The body on the Agile looks a little thicker than on my Epiphone Standard LP's. Maybe it will show in the pictures.

How about the idea of putting a Bigsby B5 on my "road warrior" Epi LP with the kill switch mod already done and the previously snapped neck fixed in a very "road worn" appearing way? Plays great though, very respectably. Seymour Duncan open coil hot rodded humbucker set - JB bridge, Jazz neck. Do you think the Bigsby would be a great idea or lead to a degradation of tone?

Bloozcat
September 9th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Almost took the pictures yesterday.

Do or do not. There is no almost.
:poke

Duffy
September 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Not sunny today. Might take some inside. Beautiful guitar and sounds super beautiful. Can't believe I didn't get one of these sooner. Very high class guitar.

Furthermore, I picked up my Egnater Tweaker head this morning and it is all plugged in and rigged up; sounding good after preliminary checking it over.

The Tweaker looks real nice too. It has a really strong wooden looking basket weave going on, on the front above the knobs, where it says Egnater. Very classic old fashioned vibe visually. I like the deceptively simple looking control panel with its diminutive, very laid back, un-ostensibly presented mini metal toggle switches, with a stealthy appeal for those who like non-flashy, non-blinged out but demure looking "hot rodded" guitars and amps. The black tolex and woody basket weave nullifies any need for tweed, to my eye. Very pleasing to the eye. I'll be hearing how pleasing to the ear it is thru my So. Cal. Epiphone 4 X 12 Lady Luck rigged cabinet I have it plugged into here, right quickly and will report back - before the pictures. I'm going to groove on this rig.

I'll post shortly.

Duffy
September 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Tweakle-de-de, Tweakle-de-do, . . . . . . . DO . . . . DO . . . . DO!!

Woooooo Hoooooo !!!!!!!!

Yeow!

I have to ABSORB this for a while . . . . .

Rockermann
September 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
To reiterate...

http://www.thefret.net/images/smilies/worthless-nopics.gif

Duffy
September 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Pictures will be definitely be forthcoming. I want to try to get some nice ones of this top and bottom bound body and the really nice flammed maple top. Looks like there is a maple cap on this one even though the description doesn't specify one, based upon the lines definitely discernable below the top binding in the front and at the bottom. I'm not going to pull a pickup and check it out at this time, but will take note and mention it at a future point in time when a pickup of switch has to be accessed.

kiteman
September 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Still teasin' us hey? :poke

Eric
September 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Question for those Agile owners out there: for the neck heel on Les-Paul-esque guitars, does the body always extend down below the end of the neck heel at the neck joint?

I've felt in the past that this is what made the guitar so girthful, but having never owned a Gibson, I'm not sure if that's how Les Pauls are typically constructed. Just curious, since this seems to be a popular collection of Agile owners.

Duffy
September 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I think the big neck on my Agile 3100 contributes to the big sound it produces. You can feel this guitar resonate very pronouncedly even in the neck. I have noticed this in other heavy necked guitars as well - better tone.

FrankenFretter
September 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Question for those Agile owners out there: for the neck heel on Les-Paul-esque guitars, does the body always extend down below the end of the neck heel at the neck joint?

I've felt in the past that this is what made the guitar so girthful, but having never owned a Gibson, I'm not sure if that's how Les Pauls are typically constructed. Just curious, since this seems to be a popular collection of Agile owners.

On my Epi Tribute, it does. Probably the same for a "Genuine" Gibby.

oldguy
September 10th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Question for those Agile owners out there: for the neck heel on Les-Paul-esque guitars, does the body always extend down below the end of the neck heel at the neck joint.

Yes, except for the neck-through models.

Bloozcat
September 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM

The standard Agile set neck is as you describe, just like an actual LP.

Here's a couple of pics of the Agile neck-thru design. BTW, both have the 5-piece walnut/maple neck that shows through on the sunburst model:
http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al3000mtrhublackwide8.jpg
http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al3000mthrucsbfwide6.jpg

Eric
September 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info, fretters!

Now Duffy, about those pictures....

MAXIFUNK
September 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Agile V.S. EPI what would you say are the differences what is similar.
The pros & cons of each?

Does the Agile even slightly hold its own against the Gibby or Hertiage?

FrankenFretter
September 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Agile V.S. EPI what would you say are the differences what is similar.
The pros & cons of each?

Does the Agile even slightly hold its own against the Gibby or Hertiage?

I have a thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14786&highlight=Epiphone+Tribute+LP) on my experiences with my Agile and my Epi Tribute LP.

And Duffy; Here's a link to the Rondo Blackout kit (http://www.rondomusic.com/blackoutkit.html) that I used on my AL3000. Super easy transformation!

Monkus
September 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
*cough* pics *cough*

bcdon
September 10th, 2010, 08:55 PM
*cough* pics *cough*

I'm still waiting too! :dude
http://www.photochopz.com/forum/imagehosting/214787c2e55d012.jpg

Duffy
September 10th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Have not forgotten about pictures of the Agile cherry burst and the Egnater Tweaker that is already set up at bedside for leisurely tweaking. My HH superstrat SZ300 Ibanez goldtop with duncan/ibanez pickups sounds really great with smooth, full, overdrive. Glad I got this amp, cabpable of clean all the way thru super high gain overdrive without even using a pedal. Like today when I was hammering my SZ300 getting some super overdriven tone and I noticed that my RV7 reverb and bad monkey weren't even turned on. Awesome overdrive straight up.

Had to get my new woodstove into the house today and stage it for final set up. 3.2 cubic foot firebox, gigantic but great looking woodstove with great viewing window and blower included. We won't be using ANY fuel oil this winter and top quality hardwood around here is about 100 dollars or less per FULL cord, delivered, from many different sources. One advantage of living in the sticks - very rural North Central Pennsylvania. I'm going to get four cords to start with.

Anyway this woodstove installation is taking some time but I will get those pictures taken this weekend. Charity will help me. Hopefully in sunlight. I should try using the laptops built in camera and videotape a demo of the guitar and the amp's tones. Anyone try this? I also have a Sony digital camcorder that has firewire connectivity to the computer and records in stereo, don't know how well. Anyone try this that can explain how to take the Sony digital camcorder file and attach it to the fret.net? What are the size limitations, etc.? This would be really useful - just to set the camcorder on the tripod and videotape myself playing and videotape some of my equipment rigs and set ups.Tweaker plus Agile 3100 or Ibanez SZ300 = sonic beauty right out of the tone quest.

I will just take some digital pictures and make it simple - get it done.

Duffy
September 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM
What the .... bcdon !?!? Where's that (stumbling) camera?

Presto
September 11th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I have a 3100. It's a great guitar. I was going to change the pickups when it arrived but after playing it discovered there was no need. I really think these are one of the best bang for your buck guitars on the market.

Duffy
September 11th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Agile AL3100 flammed cherry burst bound on top and bottom of body, with new Egnater Tweaker in background of some - awesome combination as well as separately. The Tweaker sounds super great with my strat with Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials, super great. Great little amp that can send you straight to dream land.

Pictures:

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile263.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile270.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile266.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile262.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile265.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile261.jpg

Couldn't hold off on the pictures any longer. I will get some outside natural light ones soon. The guitar is set up super great and the Tweaker is not describable in words, it speaks for itself, or should I say it "screams" for itself.

Rockermann
September 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM
It's freakin' beautiful. I've always wanted an Agile LP... Gotta go, I feel some really bad GAS comin' on.

Thanks for the pics!

Tig
September 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Clean up on isle 7! :drool: :luvit

Dang, what a beauty! This is killin' my GAS for other options.

Heywood Jablomie
September 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Handsome!

Katastrophe
September 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
That guitar is gorgeous, Duffy.

Congrats!

Duffy
September 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I really wanted to get some good outside natural light pictures but that Nikon DSLR did a great job with the demure lighting on the bed and blended the colors o the blankets in real well with the natural color of the guitrar and I tried to minimize the effect of the high gloss fnish. I had to delete some really nice shots that were blurry.

Hope you can see the diminutive Egnater Tweaker on the shelf in the background. Super amp with a good guitar. Does not forgive mistakes on clean zones.

I have my tweed special edition Hot Rod Dx back in my amp station and it produces quality tones in most anything I play; rock, blues, country. My new AC15c1 is hidden down below under the laptop shelf. The laptop shelf was actually designed to sit directly on top of the AC15, and it sounds awesome with its "Greenback" and the Bad Monkey going into the RV7 reverb and then into the amp, really awesome. It holds a stealth position right next to my bed and I can just reach down and turn it on without effort and play Charity immediately to sleep. I'm a lucky dude; it not always having been so for those of you that know you know what I mean.

I REALLY helps to have lived some blues to play or even enjoy the blues.

kiteman
September 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Gorgeous!

Eric
September 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Looking good, Duffy! So...the big question: how do you like the Agile compared to other Les-Paul-type guitars you've played? How would you characterize the playability and sound?

deeaa
September 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Guys, you really need to learn to do basic maintenance such as action adjustment and intonation etc. yourselves. It's plain insane to have a tech do such menial tasks. Even correctly tuning a guitar is arguably harder to do than a basic setup.

I live in a climate where the humidity changes from 20-90% and the temperature from under -30 to 90's F and I do some neck adjustments on some of my guitar on practically a weekly basis. Sometimes I've done it in a few minutes before band practice, it's that easy.

Same with intonation - I use pretty much whatever strings are handy, so when I change strings I also adjust intonation. Takes less time than the actual string change. Sometimes in the studio I've adjusted intonation between takes - again something so easy even a blind monkey could do it no problem.

And again the same with bridge height adjustment - just raise or lower it as you like, what's so special about it?

The only thing I'd say is a bit more tricky is lowering the saddle, and that is very often what's also wrong on budget guitars...they always tend to be a little too high, and also sometimes the 1st fret is a bit too far. But even that is nothing but a tap to loosen the nut, file it down carefully some, maybe file some of the fretboard wood if need be, and a few small dabs of glue plus pressure for 30 minutes and it's done. You don't even need much tools beside some 400-800 grit sandpaper.

I guess it can feel a bit intimidating at first, but it's certainly no harder than, say, changing the oil and tires etc. on your car. Nut work might be compared to something like changing the battery, the exhaust or the alternator, but anyhow super simple stuff. LEARN IT the web is full of instructional videos and helpful guides. I was toying with the idea of making a 10-minute video where I put together a cheap guitar and adjust the neck and nut and all, but seems there are so many vids out there there is no need for one more.

Which reminds me, I need to go file the last few frets on my V ever so slightly lower...I gave it an ultra-low action and it hangs slightly on 24th fret when I bend a full bend there now...needs some TLC with a sanding stone and 0000 wool afterwards...

Monkus
September 12th, 2010, 06:01 AM
su-weeet ! Beautiful axe...!

Duffy
September 12th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Playability and sound:

As far as I can tell the Agile 3100 plays and sounds better than a lot of my other LP type guitars, without doing A/B comparisons, which I intend to do. I'm going to play my Michael Kelly Patriot Custom today, which is a really nice LP type guitar with Rockfield direct mount pickups.

The pickups on the Agile seem to be outstanding sounding. They sound totally great thru an amp pushed hard and even a lower volume.

The playability of the Agile 3100 is superior to many of my other guitars because it has a chunky neck that really fits my hand well. Chords seem to fall naturally into place wih ease and play easily.

I would say that Agile has done an outstanding job of building a great guitar that competes very well against other companies like Epiphone, Michael Kelly, Schecter, etc. One big thing the Agiles have going for them is the close replica of a traditrional style LP. Many of the copies divert from the body style, woods, etc., from the traditional LP design. I like that it is a solid, non-chambered body. If I want a light LP copy I think I would buy an Ibanez ART100 - ART420, which are much lighter but play great ad look good. I can see these chambered LP guitars separating, and cracking and having other design related problems as time moves forward. I don't think the chambered guitars are going to have the long term durability of solid wood LP's when placed under demanding conditions for long periods of time. Some of the problems have probably already shown up but we just haven't heard about them yet.

The Agle does a great job of playability and makes a nice traditional "solid" body LP type guitar. The tone is great and the pickups won't be replaced any time soon. It "feels" like a really good guitar that you would go a long way to find. Don't know why I didn't get one sooner instead of an Epiphone or other copy.

A/B comparisons to follow.

deeaa
September 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't worry about chambered ones being any less lasting...the chambers aren't that huge, and the structure is nowhere near the weakness of violins and acoustics / hollowbodies, which also last up to hundreds of years.

Save for suffering a flood or something, I don't think there would be any real difference to longeivity of chambered/solid bodies. If anything, the chambers might help to even out sudden temperature changes etc. as opposed to solid ones and end up lasting even better. I've seen a Les Paul frozen to -30 and taken into use on like over 100F stage right away, and the surface went snap crackle pop because the temp difference inside the body and the top were just too much. _could_ be less likely with a chambered one.

Perfect Stranger
September 14th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I've got 3 Agiles in the family and have had several others. Agiles are extremely nice guitars no matter which model you buy IMHO.

duhvoodooman
September 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Sweet lookin' LP, Duffy! Agiles are just an amazing value. Enjoy! :rockya :thumbsup :rockon:

marnold
September 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Very nice looking guitar there Duff!

Guys, you really need to learn to do basic maintenance such as action adjustment and intonation etc. yourselves. It's plain insane to have a tech do such menial tasks. Even correctly tuning a guitar is arguably harder to do than a basic setup.

I live in a climate where the humidity changes from 20-90% and the temperature from under -30 to 90's F and I do some neck adjustments on some of my guitar on practically a weekly basis. Sometimes I've done it in a few minutes before band practice, it's that easy.
You live in Wisconsin? OK, it doesn't get to -30 usually--that'd be really unusual, but nevertheless I agree with what you say. Setups aren't that hard. I learned from the Metal Method Setup and Repair DVD. Add to that the fact that I've come across too many techs who really can't set up a Floyd properly and I've determined its just easier to do it myself, to say nothing of much cheaper.

deeaa
September 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Yep! And there are LOTS of instructional vids also on YouTube.
Still, if I ever get past this month-long influenza spree and get my voice back in shape, I'm tempted to make some short but to-the point instruction videos myself. It'd be an interesting project. How to adjust the truss rod, string height and intonation setting would be a nice triple feature and make a 3-4 minute long video perhaps.

Brian Krashpad
September 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Sorry I missed this til now. Guitar looks great! I have an Agile P-90 Valkyrie (SG-type) I got new on closeout for $100 (+shipping) that I'm very happy with. I sold my HB-equipped Epi G400 SG after getting the Agile.

I'm set for LP's though since I've got an LP Classic and a Studio Doublecut, plus a couple "alternately-shaped" guitars (Fernandes Ravelle and DeArmond Jetstar) that do the double-HB LP sound as well.