PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some help developing a practice schedule/routine, please?

robhc
September 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'm new, and unfamiliar with these boards, this seemed like the right place to put it.

Right then, could some one help me develop a practice schedule/routine please? I've been playing for about a year and a half, and I haven't been practising with all that much direction, or even as much as I really should be. All I've really been doing is learning a new song every now and a again when I feel like it, and the rest of the time, just noodle about with what I already know. As a result, my progress has been slow.

I can dedicate about two hours a day to my practising, at least, usually. Some days I may have more, others less. I would like to be able to play to be able to play thrash metal and hard rock mainly, though I also would like to maybe play around with some lighter rock, classic rock and punk rock.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Commodore 64
September 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I was/am in the same boat. I did start taking lessons to give me some direction.

I would take at least 10 minutes during your playing to play power chords, barre chords or just notes, and say out loud, what the chord/note is. This is my biggest Hindrance now, the knowing where the notes are.

Robert
September 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I have published a practice schedule over on dolphinstreet -

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/howto-practice-guitar.php

Have a look and see if that is what you are looking for.

Eric
September 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
If I might interject...

I think Robert's guide is useful, but for me personally, it takes a bit of time to figure out what scale/arpeggio/theory concept/etc. I'm going to work on. In that way, it's usually easier for me to take those ideas and break them up in a different way, doing maybe 1-3 of the subjects he lists (e.g. technique, transcribing, and fretboard memorization) and focusing on them for one practice session, then doing something different the next time. I feel like there's less stopping and starting that way.

Most importantly though (for me anyway) is to just chip away at it and to tame those expectations. If you don't expect brilliance immediately, you will probably find yourself progressing at a better rate. It's weird that way.

Moander
September 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
It would be important to know where you're at now playing wise, ie; are you doing only chords, some pentatonic scales? Modes?

Are you playing the songs, but not the leads? Give one example of a lead you know, if applicable....

I can make some good suggestions once this information is known. Basically, what any reputable guitar instructor would do in a sit-down scenario.

robhc
September 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
It would be important to know where you're at now playing wise, ie; are you doing only chords, some pentatonic scales? Modes?

Right now, I'm only learning songs every now and again, and practicing songs I know. I know a wee bit of theory, a few chords, and a few scales.

Are you playing the songs, but not the leads? Give one example of a lead you know, if applicable....

I knwo the leads to:
Mercyful Fate - Into The Coven
Trivium - Dying In Your Arms
Metallica - Enter Sandman, Master Of Puppets
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?

Those are the ones I can remember right away, there may be others I'm forgetting about. I know rhythm parts to other songs as well.

Many thanks to the rest of you as well.

gorkblok
September 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Well, at least you know what you want to play, That's half the battle right there. I would suggest practicing in 15 minute increments. Learn to sight read, or at least read tab {if you don't know how already}.

I like to start my practice with a 5-20 minute hand stretching warm up, take a 5-10 break, then began running scales.

For the style of music your aiming for, I would suggest alternating between pentatonic {all modes}, both with and without the added 5th, And also the harmonic minor, and maybe even a couple of exotic/gypsy scales {make sure you don't try to learn too many of these at one time, they'll all kinda run together}

When I practice a scale, I'll run it until i get it down nice and smooth, then try to improv some riffs off of it making sure to string skip to drive the point home to my brain.

So long as practice is fun and interesting, And you always try to get something out of it, your golden.

And if you ever hit a brick wall, try to learn a cover to shake some of the rust off the old noggin, it seems to work for me. Also, when you learn a cover, looking for repeating themes in licks played, or small little riffs you like and try to figure out what those riffs were played that way.

blah, that's all i gots for now, hope it helps.

gorkblok
September 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
If I might interject...

I think Robert's guide is useful, but for me personally, it takes a bit of time to figure out what scale/arpeggio/theory concept/etc. I'm going to work on. In that way, it's usually easier for me to take those ideas and break them up in a different way, doing maybe 1-3 of the subjects he lists (e.g. technique, transcribing, and fretboard memorization) and focusing on them for one practice session, then doing something different the next time. I feel like there's less stopping and starting that way.

Most importantly though (for me anyway) is to just chip away at it and to tame those expectations. If you don't expect brilliance immediately, you will probably find yourself progressing at a better rate. It's weird that way.

agreed.

Andy
September 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PC-000-Practice.php

hope it's ok to post this link to annother site.

Robert
September 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
The answer is, practice the skills you haven't yet mastered. Focus on one thing at a time and realize there are no shortcuts. Enjoy the journey.

GuitarAcademy
September 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
I recently found a free iPhone app called Just Practice. I have found it to be a great resource and tool for organizing and playing towards my learning goals.

GA

Moander
September 28th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Two hours a day......

I'd spend one hour on stuff you know.

1: Perfecting chord progressions. Ok, most chord progressions can be played several ways. Granted, the song you are on MAY have them played in the open position, or barre chords, etc.

I'd take out a chord dictionary, and learn the progression in at least two other locations. You'll find the same 'ol chords sounding very different, yet in key. This will lead you to many new ideas, trust me. don't forget, as you learn these new progressions, try moving each chord half and whole steps as well, to see which ones are more portable than others.

2: Perfecting pentatonics. They do get old, but only when practicing them in the same form, in the same position. I'd wager the old standby A minor pentatonic in the 5th fret is pretty 'stale'.....

With pent's, make sure you know the extensions, and become adept at transitioning from one position to another. The A minor in the 5th position is very expandable, as are all the rest. I'm saying, that the A minor need not be stale.

Learning pentatonic riffs: riffs fill great big holes in playing. Rather than a lesson here, I'd go to youtube, search 'pentatonic lesson guitar' and such terms, and begin nabbing riffs. Add them to what you already know.

Second hour: work on new stuff. The Riffs mentioned above actually is the begining....

Without going into modes, pick a scale, say A natural minor. Learn it in the 5th position. Learn the notes, learn how to extend it to other positions of the same scale.

Pick a scale each week, and spend part of your second hour learning, and perfecting that scale, with extensions.

Also, learn new songs. Pick a song you want to learn, hopefully picking ones that sound in your skill range, and not Deep Sea by Vinnie Moore :)

Youtube them. There are lessons on youtube for just about every song one can think of.....grab a tab program, and back up the youtube vids with tabs to work on the song details.

When learning a new song, I focus on the chords and rhythm first, lead a bit later on.

Something else you can do in your two: play to backing tracks, practicing your improv over songs.

Without knowing more, this loose suggestion should help you define your own eventual program.