PDA

View Full Version : Es 339 Gas

G McBride
September 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I want a Gibson ES 339. I have an EPI Dot and figure when I go for the Semi Hollow body Gibson it will have to be the 339 model. I have read a lot of reviews of this guitar, anyone have an opinion or experience with on pleas chime in.

hubberjub
September 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Like all Gibson guitars (or all mass produced guitars) you should play a bunch of them before you buy. I really like the 339. The 335 is a surprisingly big guitar. 339s are quite comfortable.

otaypanky
September 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I have one hollow and 2 semi-hollow bodied Gibsons and love 'em all.
If I was in the market for a new Gibson I'd like to get myself to a shop with a huge inventory and I'd try as many different models as I could get my hands on, not just a 339. But that's just not a possibility around where I live, there are no more Gibson dealers other than a GC, and they never have any of the models I'd be curious about.
'Hope you find a nice one

MAXIFUNK
September 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
IF THE LOTTERY GOD'S EVER SMILE ON ME
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6311/Gibson-Custom-Shop-CS-356-with-Stopbar-Koa-Top-Antique-Natural/

ZMAN
September 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I have a Sheraton, and an ES335. When the 339 first came out I did some research on it and found it to be well received. Most like the fit and finsh and the tone from it. Being smaller than the 335 was a plus.
The only negatives I heard over and over was the plastic nut, the action was too high from the factory, and that it was in some cases slightly neck heavy, several reviewers thought the tuners were cheap. Also it was mentioned that the rosewood board seemed dry. I think it is the type of rosewood they are using now, it is much lighter in color. They are solidly built and from what I have heard in sound clips can just about duplicate the 335s tone.
As mentioned by other posters IF possbile I would try out several and see what they feel like. You already know what the full size semi is like with the Dot. They also come in two neck profiles.

otaypanky
September 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
When the 339 came out Guitar Center had it on the front cover of their mail out little fliers quite a few times. So naturally I went over to the GC to check one out. Of course they didn't have one. That was how many years ago now, several anyway. I have been in that store a bunch of times since and I have never seen one. Maybe the larger GC's stock some of the high line Gibson stuff and guitars other than Les Paul models, but not here.
It's so hard to test drive a Gibson these days. When Gibson advertises their Dealer Days and I look at the list I don't remember there being any in Pennsylvania that host the event.

ZMAN
September 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
My local Ma and Pa had a Vintage burst one on the wall for a long time.
I wasn't really interested in trying it out. For me it just looks strange with that tiny body and the huge long neck. I know it is a normal neck and it is attached in the same position as the 335s but it does look different.

G McBride
October 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I got a 339 a week ago.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp188/G_McBride/ES339/ES339front.jpg

otaypanky
October 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Enjoy !

MAXIFUNK
October 18th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I got a 339 a week ago.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp188/G_McBride/ES339/ES339front.jpg

What do think of it so far? Love it? Hate it? (doubtful)

G McBride
October 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Been playing this all month and I love it. Best Gibson I own. Very versatile and easy to play. Try one and you will want one.

Spudman
October 23rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Try one and you will want one.

Around here that's like bringing Champagne to an A.A. meeting.:D

hubberjub
October 23rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
Beautiful. Enjoy.

Jimi75
October 24th, 2010, 02:09 AM
I've read about a lot of folks that traded their Les Pauls for the 339. It clearly is able to duplicate a LP like sound and of course a 335 like sound. The 335 has a huge body and when playing while you sit it can get a little uncomfortable. The 339 has no such issue due to the smaller body. Never heard of the head heaviness, in cotrast German Gitarre & Bass magazine wrote about a well balanced instrument. I think the 339 is an awesome guitar, a real allrounder. :thumbsup

helliott
October 24th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I was seduced by one at the local gas store. Not really looking, but it was a very appealing price, then I played it. Oops. Stock, except that the tuners have been replaced with Grovers. Not neck heavy, nut is not an issue for me. The vintage 57 humbuckers are a little noisier than new ones, but the tone is awesome. This guy sounds like a drug through the Lone Star, clean channel, gain at 2 o'clock. Played at 8, it's like a bell, crank the volume to 10 and it breaks up beautifully. Very nice guitar and a useful addition. Here's some pix. Will post some audio when I get time. Highly recommend the ES339.

http://www.box.net/shared/2d3vsbphhq

http://www.box.net/shared/h3hn5ktvh4

Brian Krashpad
October 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Congrats G and Elliott!

MAXIFUNK
October 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Around here that's like bringing Champagne to an A.A. meeting.:D

TRUE VERY TRUE

MAXIFUNK
October 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Congrats G and Elliott!

cosign 100%

jpfeifer
December 26th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I've tried the ES339 also and I'm gassing for one too. It's the perfect sized guitar and has a versatile tone. The ones I've tried have all played great and sound great. You can get awesome 335 tones out of them, which is perfect for Blues, Jazz, Funk, Rock, etc. It's a great guitar.

The only thing holding me back, is that I may save up my money and get the guitar that I really want, which is the Gibson JohnyA model. I don't have a Gibson in my collection of guitars and I've always wanted one for those tones.

--Jim

progrmr
December 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I'm afraid to play an Gibson given the cost...I'm sure it'd feel perfect and I'd have to have it.

I actually like an over-sized body on a semi-hollow. Granted I only have the Oscar Schmidt right now, but it's pretty good size and I love how feels and sounds.

Okay...this is killin' me!

jgYZ35QRFKU

G McBride
February 17th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Hi Guys,

I haven't been here for a while and thought I should update you. I have been playing the 339 for a while now and it is my go to guitar. It has such great tone for what ever kind of music that you play. If this had been my first gibson guitar, I may not have bought any more. This guitar is everything I ever wanted in an electric. Try one out, you will be hooked too.

Robert
February 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Congrats! I use a Hagstrom Viking for a similar rush. ;)

FusedGrooves
February 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Yamaha SA2200....with enough change left over for some more GAS! Seriously awesome guitar...