PDA

View Full Version : Just placed a deposit....

duhvoodooman
September 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
....with my favorite local guitar shop (http://www.parkwaymusic.com/) to hold a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-15 (http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Transatlantic/transatlantic-TA-15.html) they have in stock. They agreed to come down in price to match Sweetwater once sales tax is added in. It'll be another month or two before I build up the coffers with pedal sales to cover the purchase price, but have plenty of orders in the backlog to do so. I've had major GAS for this little amp head ever since I saw the Sweetwater video demo below. Unbelievable range of tones available from this little wonder box:

7hzQ3ZGpHMA

markb
September 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
It'll probably brush off once it's dry (S. Milligan) :D

Tig
September 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Very nice demo by Mitch. You should enjoy this sweet lil'/big amp, DVM.

This is one of those uber amps that Maxifunk and Duffy should consider, since the Supersonic turned out to not be what they were looking for.

Radioboy950
September 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Very cool, man.
Is it a lunchbox style amp, like the "Tweaker"?

Many people only think of Messa as the maker of the recto type amp, which is far too saturated and gained out for me.

My fav is the Electra Dyne.

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Wow, that amp sounds great. Nice range of tones in it. The only thing that would give me pause (besides the sticker price) is that it doesn't have an FX loop. Still, not that big of a deal.

....with my favorite local guitar shop (http://www.parkwaymusic.com/) to hold a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-15 (http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Transatlantic/transatlantic-TA-15.html) they have in stock. They agreed to come down in price to match Sweetwater once sales tax is added in. It'll be another month or two before I build up the coffers with pedal sales to cover the purchase price, but have plenty of orders in the backlog to do so. I've had major GAS for this little amp head ever since I saw the Sweetwater video demo below. Unbelievable range of tones available from this little wonder box:

7hzQ3ZGpHMA

piebaldpython
September 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Sweet Vood!! :dance I've got my eye on that Egnater Tweaker head. That Mesa should seriously set the trees to swayin' up there in New Yawk.

Robert
September 8th, 2010, 04:57 PM
You bad boy... :D let's hear you rawk out on it! Some day. :whatever:

duhvoodooman
September 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
The only thing that would give me pause (besides the sticker price) is that it doesn't have an FX loop.
Me, too, if I didn't already have an amp (Egnater Rebel 20 Head) with a loop....

Radioboy: Yep, it's a "lunchbox" amp, for sure.

Monkus
September 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I've been gassing for that as well. After much research, I've decided to pair it with an avatar 1x12 cab with a Celestion Blue. I plan to get it next march, It should be ok with the missus by then. I'm sure to be near a gas station then so I can walk it home...

Eric
September 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Noice. This looks like a cool little unit. Hopefully you'll have it in your mitts in time to crank out some br00tal Christmas tunes.

Bloozcat
September 9th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Another great amp for the stable, DVM!

Beautiful tones, very versatile. It's probably an easier sell to "homeland security" now too, with your effects business paying for your GAS...:dance

duhvoodooman
September 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM
It's probably an easier sell to "homeland security" now too, with your effects business paying for your GAS...W-A-A-A-Y true, dat!! :thumbsup

MAXIFUNK
September 9th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Very nice demo by Mitch. You should enjoy this sweet lil'/big amp, DVM.

This is one of those uber amps that Maxifunk and Duffy should consider, since the Supersonic turned out to not be what they were looking for.

I may have to go the Hollywood Mesa Boogie store and check it out $899.99 is not cheap.

duhvoodooman
September 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Riddle: What's about the size of a lunch box, lights up with a cool blue glow when turned on, and is sitting on top of my 2x12 cab at home right now? :dance :rockon: :dude

Robert
September 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Riddle: What's about the size of a lunch box, lights up with a cool blue glow when turned on, and is sitting on top of my 2x12 cab at home right now? :dance :rockon: :dude

Dunno - perhaps Homer's lunch box that he left the nuclear plant for a bit too long? :D

Congrats! Let her that baby rip now!

duhvoodooman
September 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Congrats! Let her that baby rip now!
Got a couple of more hours to kill here at work before I can do that. Like DLR says in the Hot For Teacher music video, "Oh man, I think the clock is SLOW...."

marnold
September 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
I don't feel tardy.

MAXIFUNK
September 21st, 2010, 04:11 PM

Good for you congrats!!!!!

duhvoodooman
September 21st, 2010, 06:09 PM
I don't feel tardy.
Class disssss-missed!!

Man, this thing has a bazillion tones, between the five amp voicings, three power levels, gain and tone controls. I'm going to be tone-farming for days.....

Coupla quick pix:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/TA-15/TA-15_closeup.jpg

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/TA-15/TA-15_noflash2.jpg

Algonquin
September 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM
Class disssss-missed!!
Insert jealous face here... '________'

Congrats DVM, looks like a tonne of fun! :dance

Tone2TheBone
September 21st, 2010, 08:55 PM
That's the coolest amph I've ever seen. Gotta love blue light eminating from it's soul. Just reeks of blues tone I betcha. Beautiful find my friend congrats and lets hear some 'o dat tone!

hubberjub
September 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM
I brought my pencil. Give me somethin' to write on. Congrats. I'm a big fan of Mesa Boogie and have been looking forward to the Trans. If only a store in my area carried them.

MAXIFUNK
September 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Class disssss-missed!!

Man, this thing has a bazillion tones, between the five amp voicings, three power levels, gain and tone controls. I'm going to be tone-farming for days.....

Coupla quick pix:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/TA-15/TA-15_closeup.jpg

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/TA-15/TA-15_noflash2.jpg

If I wasn't already jealous enough you have to show off the blue glow of thunder & lighting.

Bloozcat
September 22nd, 2010, 07:04 AM
Great looking amp, DVM.

Your amp collection is growing with some tasty tone machines. So, in addition to your unquestioned authority as the fret.net Guru of effects pedals, perhaps an additional title is in order?

duhvoodooman: Amp aficionado and tone maven....:applause :master :bravo:

sumitomo
September 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Wow!!! You GAS inducing dog you!! Enjoy Sumi:D

Radioboy950
September 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
It's worth the price just for the glowing blue light!
That is one cool amp. Enjoy the tonal orgasm.

duhvoodooman
September 22nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm just learning my way around on this little wonder, but the flexibility is just amazing. Two channels with a total of 5 basic voicings (Channel 1: Vox "Normal" and "Top Boost"; channel 2: Tweed, Marshall and Mesa Boogie), three power stage settings (25W Class AB, 15W Class A, 5W single-ended Class A), and then all the variations available through the gain, treble, bass and master volume controls. The cleans sound great, but crunch & sustain are where this little diamond really shines. And I'm just scratching the surface, so far....

I brought my pencil. Give me somethin' to write on....
Good--write this down:

Parkway Music
1602 Route 9
Clifton Park, NY 12065
518-383-0300

Just an easy 2 - 2.5 hr. drive up I-88 to I-90 east to I-87 north, exit 8A. Right on Grooms Rd., left at the light on Rte. 9 north, and about a mile up on the lefthand side. Nice way to spend a fall afternoon, Hubb!

Your amp collection is growing with some tasty tone machines. So, in addition to your unquestioned authority as the fret.net Guru of effects pedals, perhaps an additional title is in order?

duhvoodooman: Amp aficionado and tone maven....
Yeah, I've got a ton of tasty pedals, some nice guitars, and several toneful amps. Now, if I could only play the damn things better!! :mad

Robert
September 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
How does the tone(s) compared to the Rebel you have?

duhvoodooman
September 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
How does the tone(s) compared to the Rebel you have?
With a single channel, the Rebel isn't quite as flexible as the Transatlantic, but still has a wide range of tones on tap. Has an FX loop, which is a significant plus. It has an excellent clean tone--not as jangly as the Mesa's Vox emulations, but still very nice, round & lively sounding. And the gain rolls on nicely for good crunchy rhythm and saturated lead tones. Tonally, it's kind of in between the Marshall and Mesa Boogie high gain modes on the Transatlantic. Rounder and fuller than the Marshall tone, but not as deep of a bottom end as the Mesa setting, and less compressed sounding. Also, the max. available gain isn't quite as high as the Mesa amp allows. Probably my favorite part of the Egnater is fooling around with the 6V6/EL84 power tube blending--kind of another take on the "transatlantic" theme there, using the power tube mix rather than the preamp stage configuration.

MAXIFUNK
September 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
With a single channel, the Rebel isn't quite as flexible as the Transatlantic, but still has a wide range of tones on tap. Has an FX loop, which is a significant plus. It has an excellent clean tone--not as jangly as the Mesa's Vox emulations, but still very nice, round & lively sounding. And the gain rolls on nicely for good crunchy rhythm and saturated lead tones. Tonally, it's kind of in between the Marshall and Mesa Boogie high gain modes on the Transatlantic. Rounder and fuller than the Marshall tone, but not as deep of a bottom end as the Mesa setting, and less compressed sounding. Also, the max. available gain isn't quite as high as the Mesa amp allows. Probably my favorite part of the Egnater is fooling around with the 6V6/EL84 power tube blending--kind of another take on the "transatlantic" theme there, using the power tube mix rather than the preamp stage configuration.

I was waiting to see how you answered this Thanks for the info.

Robert
September 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
I want one too now. Dang you! :)

Brian Krashpad
September 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Bosstastic!

Looks kinda funny sitting on a big ol' 4x12.

The same thing happens with my little Sovtek "Tube Midget."

Tig
September 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
I'd say the 2-channel Rebel 30 is closer to the Mesa TA-15 than the 20, as far as flexibility goes (ignoring wattage). The TA-15 at the local GC sounded beyond incredible, but it was bought up quickly.

If the Tweaker was a 2 channel amp, it would be the closest. The TA-15's Marshall setting is much better than the Tweaker's Marshall. Call the Tweaker the poor man's TA-15! :D

I bet DVM is having a hard time getting back to those pedal builds now that the new amph has landed. :poke

Eric
September 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Congrats on a sexy new amph, DVM!

So, where's the icon for "this thread is worthless without clips"?

Bloozcat
September 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
BTW, DVM: Your new amp is featured in this month's Guitar Player magazine as an Editors Pick award winner...:AOK

duhvoodooman
September 29th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Darn it, BC, ya scooped me!! :mad

Yep, just saw that article this morning. They reviewed 5 low-wattage amps:

Dr.Z Monza (1x10 combo, $1300)
Egnater Tweaker (head, $400)
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 (head, $900)
Victoria Ivy League (1x10 combo, $1700)
65 Amps Tupelo (1x12 combo, $2400)

All were well rated, but the Transatlantic and the Victoria got "Editor's Pick" ratings! :thumbsup :rockya :applause

MAXIFUNK
September 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Darn it, BC, ya scooped me!! :mad

Yep, just saw that article this morning. They reviewed 5 low-wattage amps:

Dr.Z Monza (1x10 combo, $1300)
Egnater Tweaker (head, $400)
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 (head, $900)
Victoria Ivy League (1x10 combo, $1700)
65 Amps Tupelo (1x12 combo, $2400)

All were well rated, but the Transatlantic and the Victoria got "Editor's Pick" ratings! :thumbsup :rockya :applause

I'll have to go buy the mag just to read this. thanks for the heads up.

Jx2
September 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to the old lyric

"I got my lunchbox and Im armed real well"

Andy
September 30th, 2010, 09:46 AM
great score !

I could buy that head just for the looks alone!
It begs you to turn it on regardless of the need to jam..hehe
I wish it had an efx loop but the tone makes up for it

Tig
March 11th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I spent almost an hour playing a TA-15 yesterday, and I'm more impressed than ever. It is so simple to dial in a wide variety of tones. I could spend hours just jamming and tweaking one. I had to pull myself away to save my marriage!

rylanmartin
March 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I wish it had an efx loop but the tone makes up for it

Yummmm....The new TA-30's have built in reverb and an effects loop....

Jimi75
March 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM
15 Watt is just wooow sounding! Super sweet amph and sound.

kidsmoke
March 12th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I spent almost an hour playing a TA-15 yesterday, and I'm more impressed than ever. It is so simple to dial in a wide variety of tones.
Were you playing one of your own guitars through it Tig? What are the clean tones like? I read "jangly" somewhere in this thread. One thing I love about my cheap-o Cube30 is the JC mode. Does this amp go there?

vroomery
March 21st, 2011, 04:31 PM
I finally got a chance to play one of these today. Wow. It's all true. The variety of really great tones in that little amp is seriously impressive. I loved the AC15 imitation.