PDA

View Full Version : Dumb F/x Return Question

piebaldpython
September 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Not to be stupid......but.........would one plug a Digitech RP-150 into the effects return of an amp for reverb, delay, compression, etc.??

How does all of that work? I understand git into boost/OD/dirt pedals into amp. But what plugs into whatever unit that's going into the FX return of an amp if the other stuff is going directly into the amp?

Give me the Dummies version please.

Eric
September 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Conventional wisdom would say that time-based effects such as reverb and delay would go in the effects loop of an amp. The idea is that your preamp (the part between the top input and the effects send) would be providing some overdrive or distortion to your signal, and most people don't like the sound of the echos (in the case of delay) being overdriven. They'd prefer to have the delay provide echoes of the overdriven signal. I hope that makes sense.

So...if you're using amp modeling or time-based effects in your RP150, it would make sense to go into the effects return of the amp, thus bypassing the preamp. If you want to use the gain of the amp to color your tone, I'd go guitar -> amp input -> FX send -> RP150 -> FX return.

Ultimately, it's up to you to try out the combos and see which one turns your crank. You might like it going into the front of the amph in the end, but you have to try to figure it out. I'm just telling you what most people would say is typical.

kiteman
September 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM
That pretty much covers it. Using the return just uses the power amp, no tone stack and effects (and volume) from the amp are used.

piebaldpython
September 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hmmmmmmm.......I guess what I'm asking is.......do you plug everything from the git forward into the amp or into the F/X return??......or or you accessing them separately (as in 2 cords??).

See, I told you it was a DUMB question but it vexes me as to it all happens.

Eric
September 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM
It really depends on what you're using the RP150 for:

If you're using either the existing presets or the amp models, I'd probably go with either the effects return or the amp input with the amp set to as clean a tone as possible. That is, either guitar -> RP150 -> clean amp or guitar -> RP150 -> effects return.
If you're only using the RP150 for something like delay, I'd go guitar -> amp -> effects send -> RP150 -> effects return.

If you're looking for an oversimplified answer, my guess is that the most appropriate thing for you is to take your guitar, plug it into the RP150, plug the RP150 into your amp input, and set the amp to clean. That's totally speculatory on my part, but it's my best guess for a simple answer.

--

Re-reading your last post yet again, I think you may be asking a different question. If you are using a pedal with the effects loop in an amp, you will need a minimum of 3 cables: guitar to amp input, effects send to pedal, and pedal to effects return.

Does that help at all? I'm trying to figure out what specifically you're asking.

kiteman
September 9th, 2010, 09:21 AM
You have a few options and ways to make them sound the best.

Plug in the guitar normally (frontend) and run the pedals through the effect loop.

Use some pedals in the frontend with the guitar and run other pedals through the effect loop.

Run everything through the frontend.

Run everything through the return port just to access the power amp.

ZMAN
September 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I found that using my DD20 through the FX loop, and the rest of the effects through the "front" input jack made everything just sound better. I have separate in out cords for the "back" of the amp or FX loop and my pedal board plugs into the front.
Before I had the DD20 on my board and it sounded Spacey and far away. As stated before the FX loop is perfect for time based pedals.

piebaldpython
September 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
If you're looking for an oversimplified answer, my guess is that the most appropriate thing for you is to take your guitar, plug it into the RP150, plug the RP150 into your amp input, and set the amp to clean. That's totally speculatory on my part, but it's my best guess for a simple answer.

--

Re-reading your last post yet again, I think you may be asking a different question. If you are using a pedal with the effects loop in an amp, you will need a minimum of 3 cables: guitar to amp input, effects send to pedal, and pedal to effects return.

Does that help at all? I'm trying to figure out what specifically you're asking.

PERFECT, Eric. Thanks a bunch too to Kiteman and Zman.

Now I understand. lol

So, I would run my lap steel into my boost/OD/Dirt pedals and then directly into the amp. Then, I would run a cord from F/X send to the RP150...and then another cord from the RP150 to F/X return for my reverb, delay, compression, etc.

Thanks again.

kiteman
September 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Now you're getting it. :dance