PDA

View Full Version : Brad Paisley

NWBasser
September 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've never been much of a country fan at all, excepting a couple of standout players like Albert Lee and Chet Atkins.

One good thing about getting older though is that I'm much more open to different music styles these days and so when a friend mentioned that Brad Paisley is good guitarist, I had to check it out.

Well, after a few Youtube clips I've got to admit that I really like his guitar playing and his music. Some of his lyrics are hilarious.

I guess I'll have some country coming to my iPod!

FrankenFretter
September 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Brother, you sold out. Only kidding, of course.

What about Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson? How can you not like them?

Heywood Jablomie
September 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Paisley is quite an accomplished player, albeit a bit repetitive.

bcdon
September 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Being a un-reformed redneck, I love country music; mostly the old stuff like Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson &c. However, even though it ain't old school Country (nor metal!) I really dig some of Brad Paisley's stuff... especially his 'Online' song:

UE6iAjEv9dQ

Presto
September 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I like country and Brad Paisley's music. But then, considering I live near Bakersfield I guess that's kind of a given. He's not just one of those guys that plays a guitar onstage for the image aspect like Kenny Chesney tends to. Paisley usually puts one instrumental song on each album (The Nervous Breakdown, Munster Rag, Timewarp) and last year he released an album called Play that is full of instrumentals that dive into different styles.

As far as modern country goes, Keith Urban isn't a bad guitar player either. There are some other less known country players though that are as good as any guitar player in other styles of music.

Katastrophe
September 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I like this one... he really cuts loose.

NlQQMLTDbFE

street music
September 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM
If you think Brad is good you should Roger Coleman II that plays in Justin Moore's band who is touring with Brad, Rog can play with the best and for the best.

guitarhack
September 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Check out Redd Volkaert (formerly with Merle Haggard), Kenny Vaughn (one of Marty Stuart's Fabulous Superlatives) and Vince Gill is a terrific guitar player (see Crossroads Festival 2004).

Tig
September 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
As far as modern country goes, Keith Urban isn't a bad guitar player either.

While I like Paisley's playing, I still have a difficult time listening to most of the songs. I'm not a fan of standard country singing. I grew up with it, living in Texas.

Keith Urban at least takea the extra twang out of his vocals and has a decent voice. He plays some pretty mean solos now and then, too. His concert with John Mayer turned out great at times.

About the only other country I like is Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. Johnny has a wide range of musical styles, even though his voice is so limited. Still, there's always something so authentic about his music. The "Unearthed" collection is incredible.

His version of NIN's "Hurt" is so emotional and powerful...

Edit: I saw someone else posted this on the Claptop/Cash/Perkins thread.
o22eIJDtKho

SuperSwede
September 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I love Brad Paisley :) And aint that paisley tele a real beauty? :R

Tig
November 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Here's the best showcase of Brad Paisley's incredible playing... "Time Warp"
HJTfH9H5dvQ

Jx2
November 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I grew up listening to country, but after spending a summer with my Uncle. I never really listened to it again. Awhile back a buddy of mine mentioned to me about Paisley and Urban and Ive been meaning to youtube them for awhile so thanks for the reminder.

O and since it was brought up, I do really enjoy Cash. I think of Cash along the lines of say Lennon, Dylan, Cobain. More about the lyrics then the guitar. He was very dark for a country/gospel artist especially if you take into consideration the times and what else was out there at that time. I beleive if Johnny Cash just left the service today he wouldnt be country at all.

Heywood Jablomie
November 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Keith Urban at least takea the extra twang out of his vocals ....
You think being an Australian has anything to do with that?

As I mentioned earlier, I like Paisley's playing, and in the same vein, I like Vince Gill's, too. Check this out - VG on a LP (solo around 3:40)

oJMlbt37QoU

Katastrophe
November 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
People forget that Gill was quite the Nashville session player before hitting it big.

I loved the tone of that LP, and his playing style. Very smooth and melodic.