PDA

View Full Version : How odd: Derek & The Dominoes on Johnny Cash Show

Perfect Stranger
September 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Clapton with a mullet? Playing and singing poorly? And what guitar is that that Carl Perkins is playing? Is this Bizarro World? :what

Q1fXhLVaBBY

:applause

Johnny's gone, Carl Perkins is gone, Carl Radle is gone and Jim Gordon, the drummer, is still in prison for murdering his mother with a hammer and butcher knife in 1983. Months before he complained about hearing his mother's voice in his h...ead telling him to starve himself. Incompetent physicians failed to see these obvious symptoms and he was treated for alcohol abuse. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia later by a qualified psychiatrist but could not use that as a defense at his trial and was sentenced to 16 yrs to life. He's been denied parole 3 times. The albums on which he played as a session drummer are a who's who of rock royalty.

*NOTE* Carl's playing an old Micro-frets guitar! An English maker whose guitar had an intonatable nut - 30+ years before Buzzy Feiten!

mapka
September 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Johnny was always into more then Nashville. He had great regard for Dylan and I am sure knew who Clapton was. I think it is great that he opened up the eyes of people who would never have given other forms of music a try.

t_ross33
September 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM
A song by Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor... Johnny's best work/interpretation of a song IMHO in any genre.... goosebumps. Johnny was an true, capital A "Artist" in every sense of the word.

o22eIJDtKho

Katastrophe
September 10th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Geez, I can't imagine what was going through Clapton's mind at the time of that show. Playing a music show hosted by Johnny Cash, then doing a number with an honest to God architect of the rock-n-roll sound.

Even at the time, with all of his fame and celebrity, I'll bet he was sweating bullets.

I believe, if I were in his position, I would have just passed the heck out. I mean, that would be like, well, being asked these days to play on stage with Clapton or something.

t_ross, you are absolutely right about Cash's version of "Hurt." A haunting, raw cover. Cash was a genius for covering the tune, and Rick Rubin was a genius for his stripped down production.

mapka
September 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I also agree about "Hurt". The song was meant to be sung in that gravelly voice of a 80 yr old Johnny. The time I first saw this video and Johnny's death were very close so the words have significance to me also. All of "The American Recording" records have great music from various artist (with various musical backgrounds).

Tig
September 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
It's easy to forget that Johnny Cash was a part of creating the Sun Records' rockabilly sound.
Of course, Carl Perkins was in the thick of it.

tjcurtin1
September 10th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Weird (as the 70's could be) and great at the same time. Never would have imagined that Perkins and Clapton played together!!! That was a blast to watch - thanks!

sunvalleylaw
September 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM
That was cool!

Duffy
September 18th, 2010, 08:42 PM
That was incredible, PerfectStranger.

I don't think Clapton was uptight at all but was grooving on playing with Carl Perkins - looked like he was real happy to be jamming with him and threw in some real good complimentary licks. Of course, Clapton was a mega master guitar player at this point and had studied American music probably from the beginning of his music studies.

I don't think this territory was new to him in soul, but it sure looks like it was new to him in person. I was really impressed with the cultural differences between the hippie Clapton look and the slick Johnny Cash Carl Perkins greaser type looks.

Johnny Cash was a truly open minded muscian that knew good music when he saw it and didn't let that cultural wall between greasers and hippies affect him. I don't think he saw that wall. Plus he was a bit of a renegade in Nashville and probably p'd off the Nashville industrialists quite often.

I was just watching some 'Tubes of Johnny Cash's last performances, along with some of his greatest, just a short time back. That movie was great too.