PDA

View Full Version : The New Zoom G2.1u

Tim
November 29th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Well I said I was going to visit GC last week and try out the new Zoom G2.1u guitar effects pedal. I am sorry to say that will not be able to provide a review. It seems that GC does not carry any Zoom products.

When I inquired why not, the young sales person said he did not know. It must be an upper management decision. Probably the same concept of why MF does not carry certain products. Sorry guys! It was a bummer to my also.

Nelskie
November 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Tim - Don't let that deter you from trying one out for size. You can order one through Music 123, and get it shipped right to your doorstep, so that you can demo it in the comfort of your own home. NO salespeople, and no trying it through unfamiliar gear. Just you, your guitar, and your amp. Play it all afternoon if you like. These are all pluses ++ in my book, esp. when demo'ing new gear.

Music 123 has a (45) day return policy, so if it's not your cup of tea, call them up, get a return authorization #, and send it back. As long as you're careful with it, and don't beat on it, you shold be good to go. Here are the links:

http://www.music123.com/Zoom-G2-1U-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-i245058.music
http://www.music123.com/CustomerService/Return.aspx

I have the regular Zoom G2 unit (which is sans the expression pedal), and I absolutely DIG it! I hope to post a review on this forum before Christmas.

Robert
April 5th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Nelskie, I saw this Zoom G2 in a store today. Did you post a review or it already? Or can you give us a quick overview of this G2?

Nelskie
April 5th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Robert - Unfortunately, I never did get around to reviewing it, but did post a few tidbits on the following thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=87

The G2.1u is basically has the same brain as the G2, but with the added feature of an expression / volume pedal. Otherwise, pretty much identical as far as features go.

I have added some new comments to my G2 thread at the link noted above.

warren0728
April 6th, 2006, 03:24 AM
It seems that GC does not carry any Zoom products.
hey tim....ron has them...maybe it's time for a road trip!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
April 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Robert - Unfortunately, I never did get around to reviewing it, but did post a few tidbits on the following thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=87

The G2.1u is basically has the same brain as the G2, but with the added feature of an expression / volume pedal. Otherwise, pretty much identical as far as features go.

I have added some new comments to my G2 thread at the link noted above.
It seems that the G2.1u has a USB out. Does the G2 have that? I couldn't find reference to it on what I read.

Tim
April 11th, 2006, 07:32 AM
The G2.1u and G2 are suppose to be the same except the G2 does not have the pedal.

Nelskie
April 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
No USB on the G2. What are you looking to do w/ it besides practice? Do you want to record with it? The G2 has a 1/4" output jack (used for phones, or to run the signal to an amp), which you can run dircectly into DAW (digital audio work station) in mono, or stereo (with the use of a "Y" cable). If you want to run it directly into a computer, you can put a 1/8" adapter on the end of the other end of your 1/4" cable, and plug it into your sound card. It has built-in speaker emulation, so the default cabinet that the amp model is set to will be modeled. Unfortunately, you cannot change cab models - what's set at default is what you get. Still, IMHO, the cab models that are set for the amp sims sound nice, so that's not a really big deal. And at $99, this pedal is a steal. I've paid more for a good dinner at a nice restaurant.

Tim
April 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Nelskie – Which would you consider to the better of the two? The G2.1u or the V-Amp2? I have the V-Amp2 and have been experimenting with using it with Audacity. Presently the tones are a little harsh so I must have either the volume or master to high.

Spudman
April 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Tim

In order to make the V Amp sound better you either need to turn down your guitar volume, change the default input level, or reduce the pesence of the patch you are using, or a combination of. I think the gain structure overall on the unit is high and results in harsher tones. Also, what mode are you using S1, L1, L2 etc?

Have you gone to the Behringer web site and downloaded the free editing software? That is really helpful if you haven't. For less than $15 you can get a midi/joystick input device for the computer and then you will need 2 midi cables to use the Vamp II's computer editor function. This makes saving and loading patches a breeze.

We just started a new Vamp II patch site. So that one along with the Behringer patch site should give you plenty of tone options.

http://www.vamptones.com/
http://www.behringer.com/V-AMP2/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Nelskie
April 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Tim - I've never used, or played a V-Amp 2, so I cannot compare its sound to that of a Zoom G2.

The Spudman brings up some very insightful points in his post, esp. those regarding the settings. Having a Pod XT myself (which employs some of the same modeling "tactics" as the V-Amp 2 does), I do know the importance of understanding how those tones are being maniupulated within the unit, and to what source they are being output to. As well, making sure that the cab / mic emulations are set correctly will also have a big effect on the overall fidelity, and presence of the tone.

It sounds to me like you just need to spend a bit more time with your V-Amp 2, perhaps employing a few of the Spudman's suggestions. My guess is that you'll eventually find those "sweet spots" for live use, as well as direct recording. Spudman posted a clip awhile back that sounded really good, and I do believe he used his V-Amp 2 on that very same recording.

Also - just so you know, I also had to spend a lot of time diddling w/ my G2 to get the hang of its features, and how to effectively use them. Months, in fact. But the end result is that I now know how to use that piece of gear in a variety of ways, as well as how to get the absolute best sound out of it.

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 07:15 AM
No USB on the G2. What are you looking to do w/ it besides practice? Do you want to record with it? The G2 has a 1/4" output jack (used for phones, or to run the signal to an amp), which you can run dircectly into DAW (digital audio work station) in mono, or stereo (with the use of a "Y" cable). If you want to run it directly into a computer, you can put a 1/8" adapter on the end of the other end of your 1/4" cable, and plug it into your sound card. It has built-in speaker emulation, so the default cabinet that the amp model is set to will be modeled. Unfortunately, you cannot change cab models - what's set at default is what you get. Still, IMHO, the cab models that are set for the amp sims sound nice, so that's not a really big deal. And at $99, this pedal is a steal. I've paid more for a good dinner at a nice restaurant.
What about the Cubase software that comes with the G2.1u? Is that of any use, or is audacity fine? I'm not recording, but I'm sure that my son'll want to do so. I mainly want to use it for practise with headphones & to bring with me to hotel rooms when I travel by car.

Nelskie
April 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM
What about the Cubase software that comes with the G2.1u?

I have no idea. Again, I have the G2, and it did not come with any software. You'll have to hit the Zoom website for more info on the program, or perhaps the Cubase website. They might have a demo version for trial use.

warren0728
April 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM
cubase is one of the more popular daw software solutions...my friend i visited this week (with that sweet lp and those marshalls) uses it for all their recording/production needs. Looks very extensive and with standard vst plugins the sky is the limit.

ww

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 05:28 PM
cubase is one of the more popular daw software solutions...my friend i visited this week (with that sweet lp and those marshalls) uses it for all their recording/production needs. Looks very extensive and with standard vst plugins the sky is the limit.

ww
Well too late. I decided that I don't need the recording capabilities just yet. By the time I do the zoom will probably be outmoded. I just ordered the G2. What sold me was the price, the drum machine, & the ability to practice with headphones anywhere...the porch, a hotel room etc. Of course I plan to try it out in front of the AD30VT as well.

Nelskie
April 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Of course I plan to try it out in front of the AD30VT as well.
Digital models into digital models can sometimes yield some rather harsh results, so be prepared. In fact, you may not like what you hear. Now, on the other hand, if you had that G2 in front of a Epi Valve Jr., you'd be on the launch pad, T-minus-10 to some really groovin' stuff. ;)

Enjoy that pedal, tot - it's a really cool piece of gear.

Tim
April 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Digital models into digital models can sometimes yield some rather harsh results, so be prepared. In fact, you may not like what you hear.

I can attest to Nelskie’s remark. I put my Digitech RP-100A in front if my VOX AD30VT. It sounded terrible. It did not matter what amp model I chose or with effect on or off. Good luck and let us know how you like G2.

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM
Digital models into digital models can sometimes yield some rather harsh results, so be prepared. In fact, you may not like what you hear. Now, on the other hand, if you had that G2 in front of a Epi Valve Jr., you'd be on the launch pad, T-minus-10 to some really groovin' stuff. ;)

Enjoy that pedal, tot - it's a really cool piece of gear.
Well I plan on turning off the amp models & only use the tuner, OD, comp, EQ etc into the AD30VT. That way I can use the effects knob on the Ad30Vt solely for reverb & chorus etc. In any case it's main job is to make my headphone practice more mobile.

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Now, on the other hand, if you had that G2 in front of a Epi Valve Jr., you'd be on the launch pad, T-minus-10 to some really groovin' stuff. ;)
I'll be getting a 5 watt tube amp at some time. The G2 can just hold it's breath and be good until then.

Now, now zoomy don't scream & wail. You can play with the big boyz next year!