PDA

View Full Version : New Eric Clapton - 9/28/2010

Perfect Stranger
September 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I just "got" this album and it's SUPER! I think you'll be surprised by some of the arrangements on this album.
He's doing stuff you haven't heard before, and some of you may not like it. There are several slower, jazzy
standards on it.....

I like it! If you're a fan of ol' slowhand you'll enjoy it! he's still got some good licks in him!

http://i54.tinypic.com/ve3uwj.jpg

Eric Clapton's first new solo studio album in five years, Clapton is a collection of blues covers and originals
featuring cameos from a variety of heavy-hitters - including EC's old Blind Faith colleague Steve Winwood,
J.J. Cale, Sheryl Crow, Allen Toussaint and Wynton Marsalis. - cduniverse.com

Several songs, like "Rocking Chair" and "When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful", will be familiar to
concert-goers as Clapton and his band have been performing them live already on Clapton's most recent
tour. Eric has said, "This album wasn’t what it was intended to be at all. It’s actually better than it was meant
to be because, in a way, I just let it happen.

Tracklist:
01. Travelin' Alone
02. Rocking Chair
03. River Runs Deep
04. Judgement Day
05. How Deep Is The Ocean
06. My Very Good Friend The Milkman
07. Can't Hold Out Much Longer
08. That's No Way To Get Along
09. Everything Will Be Alright
10. Diamonds Made From Rain
11. When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful
12. Hard Times Blues
13. Run Back To Your Side

:applause

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Cool, I'll check it out. I cannot say I am a big Clapton fan, but what you are saying about what he is trying interests me.

jpfeifer
September 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
It looks like the kind of album that I'd really like. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip on this one! --Jim

Tig
September 16th, 2010, 11:24 PM
This release has quite a mixture of genres and styles. A bit more mellow, smooth jazz-like, adult contemporary than I usually like, but there are some good bluesy songs mixed in, too.

Maybe my perceptions will shed some light. I think this album will receive mixed reviews and may not be a huge seller for Clapton. Not bad, but it really depends on the listener's tastes, which could be said of any release.

01. Travelin' Alone - Nice groovin' sound here. A highlight of the album.
02. Rocking Chair - An easy shuffling jazz style tune that could have been from the 20's.
03. River Runs Deep - Low keyed, easy going smooth jazz song.
04. Judgement Day - 50's era boogy woogy style with plenty of harmonica.
05. How Deep Is The Ocean - A "standards", crooner style jazz. Think Harry Connick Jr.
06. My Very Good Friend The Milkman - Burlesque-Dixieland style song that is very Randy Newman-like.
07. Crazy About You Baby - Very Delta bluesy blues. Not bad at all.
08. That's No Way To Get Along - Some good slide guitar with a touch of Lay Down Sally but with a Zydeco rhythm.
09. Everything Will Be Alright - Upbeat jazz-R&B tune with a nice jazz styled solo.
10. Diamonds Made From Rain - Adult contemporary. A bit sappy/dreary sounding to me.
11. When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful - Similar to song 6 above. Meh.
12. Hard Times - Classic Delta blues acoustic. My favorite of the album.
13. Rolling and Tumbling - Electric blues with slide guitar, similar to a few songs from the Slowhand album with a few black gospel backup singers.
14. Autumn Leaves - Slow "standards" crooner style smooth jazz. Perfect song to dance to for a 50th Wedding Anniversary!