PDA

View Full Version : Training facility drum recording

deeaa
September 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Just thought some might be interested;

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/drumtest11_9.mp3

This is how I plan to start making demos with spookbox. This is recorded on Zoom R-16 with just drums miked - the idea being that I'm trying to isolate drums pretty much, at least enough much that then the rest can be recorded over it. Well I can't do any vocals as they sound thru too clearly, but I guess those guitars will easily not be heard over the dubbed guitar once it's added.

This in on 6 tracks, though, so I could try for instance recording the bass guitar live as well, just overdubbing guitars and vox afterwards.

deeaa
September 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM
To add - another very interesting thing I'd maybe want to do is to use the 2 existing lines for recording both guitars clean by using a D/I box in between - there would be a clean guitar signal going to zoom track and a line to amp to hear when playing.

Then I could use the clean signal with Amplitube and select and change the sounds after the fact, yet record the guitar 'live' and with no bleed sounds at all to boot. I tried it already and it worked pretty well but the D/I box battery died, and there isn't enough phantom outs on the R-16 so I'd need a small mixer between and it gets complicated quick.

What I'd REALLY love to do is buy another R-16 so I could record 16 channels and the entire band all at once, which would be AWESOME indeed. But it's close to 400 bucks...and I do also need better monitor speakers, a MIDI keyboard and whatnot first...

deeaa
September 12th, 2010, 12:47 AM
UPDATE - changed the file. Simplified the system some, adjusted sounds...getting better.

deeaa
September 12th, 2010, 02:00 AM
UPDATE2 the same file with a quick Amplitube rhythm guitar added,

And here a file with a test solo bit starting at about 3:00 (I won't play the actual lead 'cuz I suck at playing solos, this is just a placeholder)

deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/drumtest11_9_leadtest.mp3

Can't do any vox though, my voice is still fried & have a flu...for the 4th week in a row already(!)

But anyway, this should become an easy way to make demos; we could theoretically record an entire new demo every practice and have it out in a matter of hours and no tweaking really...amazing how super simple making demos can be this day and age, all you need is a basic recorder, a few mics and a home-studio grade PC and some software...and it sounds quite nice with next to no effort.