PDA

View Full Version : pawnshop prize

helliott
September 11th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Walking down a main street recently and came across a pawn shop window displaying a Takamine acoustic. I've played these before but never had one, and always wanted one. The price was very good,so ...
Here are a couple of samples of what it sounds like. These are run direct into the recording deck, the Tak has very nice controls, including EQ ands mid-range cut.
http://www.box.net/shared/z102kbuqhm

Spudman
September 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Sounds great. What model is it? They do make some nice guitars, which are generally out of my price range.

Kazz
September 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM
sounds kinda like "olde friend" The Allman Brothers (Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks)

very sweet picking....I am assuming you are using a brass or copper slide?

helliott
September 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Spud, it's a G-series, EG561C. Hardly top end, but quite sweet for my purposes.
Kazz, can't find my brass slide, which is what I usually use. That was a an old pill bottle model.
Lucked out on this one, looks like.

deeaa
September 11th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I used to have a Takamine 12-string and it was a really nice sounding guitar indeed, not too jangly bright like many 12-strings are.

I used it for years as a 9-string though as well, I'd use quite thick E A D strings and only double the highest three strings. That allowed for playing riffs on the lower strings while still having nice 12-string jangle for chording, and it worked very very well for 'troubadour' singer/songwriter gigs I played at student parties etc. back then.

SuperSwede
September 12th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Congrats to a sweet guitar Helliot! Nice to hear you play again :)

helliott
September 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks, folks. I really like pawnshop Tak. Acoustically, it's above average, not outstanding by any means. But the electronics are a notch above what I have played or owned. The tone with EQ bypassed is very true to the acoustic sound, and when you start monkeying with mids and lows you can get an almost Martin-y boom on the bottom and nice chimey sounding single notes on the top. Quite an impressive electronics setup.
I'll post some more as I explore its potential.