PDA

View Full Version : octave pedal recommendations???

6stringdrug
September 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM
:hungry Ok, my pedal GAS has struck again and I am starting to look into an octave pedal. Any ideas fellow fretters? Don't really know much about them, but I have a friggin compulsion to try very effect out there and an octave pedal is next on the list.

DeanEVO_Dude
September 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
The only octave effects that I have experience with are the ones on the DigiTech RPxx multi effects devices. Since I am more of a rhythm player (chords mostly), I don't get much use outta them. Some time back in the 80's I tried a stomp-box one (don't remember what brand), only did one or two octaves below the note, didn't track chords well at all. Heck, even the RP90 effect does not track chords well! They can do ok for single note lines like solos or where the bass doubles the guitar line. With the RP90, it will do one or two ocaves above, as well, can be used to "emulate" a 12-string guitar with a 6-string, but not perfect due to the high B and E stings played an octave up (unison on a real 12-string). I get better results with a chorus.

Fun to play around with, but seemingly (to me) not very usefull.

Just thinking, one good application (not "true" application) is the octave-fuzz devices, such as the Octavio or the MXR Blue Box Fuzz, etc... Not a true ocave, but due to the circuit and the clipping, it kinda gives an "octave up overtone" to the sound. Something to think about...

Cheers!

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2010, 05:06 AM
:hungry Ok, my pedal GAS has struck again and I am starting to look into an octave pedal. Any ideas fellow fretters?
Octave up, octave down, multi-octave or octave fuzz? There are a lot of choices....

Commodore 64
September 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
If I want to practice UFO, Iron Maiden, and Blue Oyster Cult at home, for example, what kind of octave pedal do I want?

Robert
September 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I sometimes use an analog pedal. Arion MOC-1 and it's okay. Probably less accurate than digital units but it's still fun. See my demo below.

9cxwXTBI5HE

hubberjub
September 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Octave up, octave down, multi-octave or octave fuzz? There are a lot of choices....

You've got that right. There are a lot of options for octave pedals out there. I ended up with a Digitech Whammy for my pitch shifting needs (although I don't really use it anymore). If I were to buy another, I would probably lean towards the Electro Harmonix Pog or Micro Pog. They can do entire chords creating an almost organ-like sound.

Eric
September 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
You've got that right. There are a lot of options for octave pedals out there. I ended up with a Digitech Whammy for my pitch shifting needs (although I don't really use it anymore). If I were to buy another, I would probably lean towards the Electro Harmonix Pog or Micro Pog. They can do entire chords creating an almost organ-like sound.
I was going to mention the POG as a big-name octave pedal. I've never used one, but I think some people swear by them.

6stringdrug
September 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM

wow, hadnt really thought about it. I really dig blues and classic rock. I really dig jimi and know he used octave effect a lot. I suppose something like that or maybe something that could do both. I love using new effects on old songs (my own or covers). I usually come up with my best ideas just playing with my effects. A sound grabs my ears and the music just comes from that.

DeanEVO_Dude
September 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I had forgotten the POG... It seems to be the most versatile and the best at tracking multi-note stuff. The Micro POG look prety cool as well, though, not a loaded as the big one, but still...

POG demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0LpX82SFs

Micro POG demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vMfJXG-F6A

Hope this helps a little... Cheers!

sumitomo
September 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
You might want to look into Line 6,the M-13 or M-9 and save some $,since you want to try other pedals also.I am still having a great time with mine.Sumi:D

marnold
September 17th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I use my Digitech EX-7's Whammy model for any octave things I need. It's not as full-featured as an original Whammy, but it gets the job done. The settings it does have are: Detune, 2nd Up -> M3rd Up, 5th Up, Octave Up, 2 Octaves Up, Octave Down -> Octave Up, Reverse 2nd Down. If there's not a range listed, the pedal will go from the normal pitch to that tuning. Heel back=lowest, toe down=highest. There are also controls for tone and wet/dry mix.

Most recently I've used the "Reverse 2nd Down" to detune to Eb and the Octave Down for messing with George Lynch's "Mr. Scary." There are certain settings and notes that cause some tracking issues but I think you'll find that no matter what pedal you use.