PDA

View Full Version : popping in after a long break

Andy
September 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Fretters, guess I should show some manners and update why I have not been on in so long before I start randomly posting.

I had started my own business about 2 years ago and that pretty much took all my free time away..now that things have settled in a bit I have returned to practicing and knocking the dust off my gear.
I have found the cure for GAS is simple ..Don't spend too much time in guitar forums..lol
it also helps to not subscribe to every gear giveaway and place that sells gear !!
I found I couldn't pass up a good deal nomatter how many dirt pedals I could chain together.

I have pared down some things and added a few things in the process.
First off I added a tweaker head,,,best purchace I have made in a very long time ! even at moderate volumes it smokes the majority of my boo-teak dirt pedals...and the clean tones make them sound like I should keep them regardless.

I purchased a hagstrom xl-5 new from an ebay store for $300... folks this is the best kept secret in a budget shredders dream. easilly hangs with the best of them at much higher prices.

I craiglisted several of my cheap guitars,SX,Badwater,ect..they played alright but just don't touch a good reliable off the shelf guitar..without mod's and more $$$..I didn't see the point.

Robert
September 14th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Andy, good to see you again!

What business did you start by the way?

Tig
September 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Welcome back to GAS Central, Andy.
Is it true that you don't own a business, it owns you? :thwap

The Tweaker turns out to live up to the hype, doesn't it. I play mine in various configurations from guitar directly plugged in, pedals in front or in the loop, to a multi-effects and it keeps on sounding good, even though I'm playing. What speaker/cabinet are you using with it?

Algonquin
September 14th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome back Andy! There's always room for one more at the table :AOK

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hey Andy, welcome back!

Andy
September 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Andy, good to see you again!

What business did you start by the way?

I build ,test,install industrial machinery..new old ,,retrofits..ect..
I am also a machinist and industrial electrician.
requires alot of travel , infact I will be leaving monday for Indiana.

I'm hoping to get on with Gibson as a maintence mechanic, I have gone thru all the interviews and testing process. they would like to bring me on but it's a matter of them getting back up to speed and starting a second shift
best part... it's a 10 minute drive from my house !

not sure when/if that will happen tho.

Tig
September 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm hoping to get on with Gibson as a maintence mechanic, I have gone thru all the interviews and testing process. they would like to bring me on but it's a matter of them getting back up to speed and starting a second shift
best part... it's a 10 minute drive from my house !

not sure when/if that will happen tho.

Now that would be a cool job!!!
Good luck.

Andy
September 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Welcome back to GAS Central, Andy.
Is it true that you don't own a business, it owns you? :thwap

The Tweaker turns out to live up to the hype, doesn't it. I play mine in various configurations from guitar directly plugged in, pedals in front or in the loop, to a multi-effects and it keeps on sounding good, even though I'm playing. What speaker/cabinet are you using with it?

I have the matching cab and it's quite a good match for this amp... ok...really good match.
I plugged in my epi vj cab and was amazed how good it sounded caught me off guard ,even the wife was impressed with that combo
(she doesn't mind me cranking the amps at home, so she's heard plenty of them) right now I'm running both cabs
with the master vol dialed up,..oh yeah
also it's the best bedroom amp I've heard as far as getting a good crunch at lower volumes with the hot switch engaged.

I would love to have 2 heads and a/b them on stage..for the price that would be a great setup, the effects loop is the icing on the cake for me.

Brian Krashpad
September 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Welcome back.

And be careful around them machines, you don't wanna be the next Django. Or even Tommy Iommi.

duhvoodooman
September 20th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Glad to see you back here, Andy--stick around awhile!

So if you get a job at Gibson, it means you can get guitars at cost for all your Fret.net friends , right?? :poke ;)

Katastrophe
September 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
Welcome back, Andy! Good to see ya here again.

If I remember correctly, you had an ESP... Do you still have it?

I drug mine out for a bit the other day and was amazed at how well it still played.

Andy
September 25th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Gibson-yes they mentioned something about getting a deep discount on a guitar , the limit was one per year after a years employment (or something like that). another cool perk is the breakroom is stocked with amps and guitars for employees to enjoy and impromptu jam sessions

I have 2 esp's, an ml-1 neck thru body and a vintage plus strat. both are very fine guitars, the strat is easily my #1