PDA

View Full Version : Rene Martinez Gives a Tour of John Mayer'sCurrent Rig

Fretz
September 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hey Guys

Thought some of you might be interested in this...

Rene Martinez walks us through John's amps, effects and guitars.

Enjoy...

F6POSqjjrIA

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2010, 10:17 PM
That was pretty cool! I did not know that SRV's former tech was with Mayer. Also, his controls for his pedals have changed. A couple years ago, he had I think at least two big pedal boards with the pedals out on them. Wouldn't mind having that Dumble, or the Two Rock as well. I think I would take the Dumble first though. :hungry

Eric
September 16th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Wow, that is an intense amount of stuff. I suppose when you're doing it for a living, there's no margin for error and you may as well have the best stuff. It makes my head spin how many guitars he has.

Interesting stuff.

deeaa
September 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Very nice...actually much like my setup with the Cm switcher with those FX pedal combo presest, only way more complicated & more pedals. But I'd also like to have another amp or two to use...one amp just isn't enough. Three heads to a few cabs would be nice ;-)

Eric
September 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Very nice...actually much like my setup with the Cm switcher with those FX pedal combo presest, only way more complicated & more pedals. But I'd also like to have another amp or two to use...one amp just isn't enough. Three heads to a few cabs would be nice ;-)
Yeah, I was thinking when I saw his controller that it's similar to your switching thing. I don't know much about this, but would his pedal be midi or is it all just straight cable runs?

deeaa
September 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM
The pedals are obviously hooked up mechanically with cable runs, but I'd venture they're connected to some sort of a patchbay in that rack that is electronically controlled with relays, and that in turn receives information about what loops to turn on from the actual floor controller, which is probably basically a MIDI or similar controller with memory slots. Custom work all the way probably anyway, but also likely can be made by tweaking and combining factory-made stuff.

Neil Young also has a similar hookup thingy that allows mixing and matching his pedals, but I don't recall if his has a memory and several modes...