PDA

View Full Version : New Fender Guitars! Blacktop

Robert
September 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=guitars&series=Blacktop

Fender® Blacktop™ Series Guitars:
Fender's new and innovative Blacktop guitar series expands the sonic horizon of classic Fender Stratocaster®, Telecaster®, Jazzmaster® and Jaguar® guitars by powering them with high-gain humbucking pickups. The Blacktop series delivers on modern player demands for a thick and heavy sound. These guitars drive a wide array of deep, rich and aggressive tones that match the intensity of any playing style.

markb
September 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I wonder if the strats have any clever switching tricks like the old Big Apple models. But, apart from that it's all a bit meh!

MAXIFUNK
September 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM
The Strat and Jazzmaster both look pretty cool to me.
cool 5 way switching on the strat HS setup on the jazz master could be very cool.

Tig
September 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM
They are also putting out new versions of the Hot Rod Amp series, the Hot Rod III DeVille 410 and 212, Hotrod Deluxe III, Blues Junior III, and the Pro Junior III. The videos sound pretty good at their website (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=guitaramplifiers&series=Hot+Rod#models).

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are with these new models, but here's the spec sheet (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=guitaramplifiers&series=Hot Rod&page=comparison).

Telefinken
September 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Wow that's great, a Jazzmaster for just $449! http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/images/smilies/w00t.gif

well, not so on this side of the pond...
http://ct5.pbase.com/o4/84/809884/1/128438959.iITgbzXx.jm.jpg http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/images/smilies/glare.gif

Eric
September 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hmm. At least at this point in my guitar journey, I'm in love with humbuckers. This might be a Fender I'd actually like to play.

Andy
September 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
the coil splitting 5 way sounds like a good thing on the strat and the price is do-able.

t_ross33
September 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
:drool:

Just when I thought I was set... theFret.net gives me GAS once again. Thanks.

BTW, black on black HH Tele... yeah, that'll do the trick :dance

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
TRANSLATION: We've been getting our butts kicked by Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, ESP, and even Gibson with the heavy/death metal crowd, so we jammed some hot humbuckers into our standard models (rather than offering anything really new) in an attempt to get more of this market. But we still don't have anything pointy, so it probably won't work anyway....

Eric
September 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM
TRANSLATION: We've been getting our butts kicked by Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, ESP, and even Gibson with the heavy/death metal crowd, so we jammed some hot humbuckers into our standard models (rather than offering anything really new) in an attempt to get more of this market. But we still don't have anything pointy, so it probably won't work anyway....
Is that the deal with these? Overwound pickup/metalhead guitars? I haven't seen a ton of two-humbucker guitars from Fender before (though I haven't been looking) so I figured that's what this was.

Maybe it's less intriguing that I first thought.

Commodore 64
September 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm with DVM. That was my first thought when I saw these.

Robert
September 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Haha, great post DVM! :D

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Is that the deal with these? Overwound pickup/metalhead guitars?
I may be wrong (sure wouldn't be the first time....or the last!), but that's how I read the "code" words (bolded below) in this Fender marketing blurb:

"The Blacktop series delivers on modern player demands for a thick and heavy sound. These guitars drive a wide array of deep, rich and aggressive tones that match the intensity of any playing style."

P.S. Somebody will have to explain to me what could possibly be construed as "new and innovative" in these models.... :rolleyes:

Tig
September 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I may be wrong (sure wouldn't be the first time....or the last!), but that's how I read the "code" words (bolded below) in this Fender marketing blurb:

"The Blacktop series delivers on modern player demands for a thick and heavy sound. These guitars drive a wide array of deep, rich and aggressive tones that match the intensity of any playing style."

P.S. Somebody will have to explain to me what could possibly be construed as "new and innovative" in these models.... :rolleyes:

Good catch on the wording, DVM.

I think Fender was referring to their marketing being "new and innovative", not these guitars!
Are these Blacktops really needed?

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I'm with ya, DVM... But keep in mind that Fender is making inroads among the harder rocking crowd with Jim Root and John 5 sigs. I like the Blacktop series, especially the double 'bucker Strat and Tele. To be sure, nothing new here, but it looks like they are trying to get away from the whole blues only image...

Will it work? Who knows.

And, Fender owns Jackson. Pointy, heavy goodness.

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Good "point"! :D

Bloozcat
September 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Well, Fender does have the Double Fat Strat...

But...I guess "fat" doesn't cut it like thick, heavy, deep, rich, and aggressive...not to mention, intense...:rolleyes:

I think you nailed it DVM...:AOK

MAXIFUNK
September 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I'm with ya, DVM... But keep in mind that Fender is making inroads among the harder rocking crowd with Jim Root and John 5 sigs. I like the Blacktop series, especially the double 'bucker Strat and Tele. To be sure, nothing new here, but it looks like they are trying to get away from the whole blues only image...

Will it work? Who knows.

And Charvel

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Good "point"! :D

LOL! :thumbsup

You are quite punny today!

I am glad that they didn't use the following terms:

1. crushing
2. punishing
3. slamming
4. shredding

You know, it could have been worded like this:

Calling all Shreddy Kreugers! You know you like both kinds of music: HEAVY and METAL! When ur ready to lay down the br00tahlz, there's only one brand for insane, slice 'em and dice 'em riffage. When ur ready for crushing power chords, punishing riffs, and slamming detuned mayhem, we've got the only models suitable for razor sharp, lightning quick stage battles. Sharpen your axe. Leave 'em lying on the blacktop. Fender Blacktop Series.

MAXIFUNK
September 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT.

Fender makes a double HH guitar and gets slammed for it? Why?
Tons of other brands make triple S guitars and do not get slammed for it.
So, if now the Fender the largest guitar vendor in the world decides hey lets go get some of that double HH money it just a MARKETING ploy.
As if Gibson et. al do not have marketing ploys.

Most of those other companies Ibanez, Shecter, Dean, ESP, etc etc
uses the Stratocaster shape for their Double HH guitars so hell why would fender not do the same.

I think the real motivation for to release these style guitars at this time.

1. Charvel guitars from last year sold like crazy so why not make their own badge of this type of guitar.

2. The whole music industry is seeing less sales due to the economic down turn so why not offer a double HH guitar at a entry level price to compete with your competitors and see if your much LARGER NAME brings in any significant sales. An if they do sale well then they'll make a higher end model for the high brow USA made snob crowd.

Just my 2 cents!!!!!:dude

Commodore 64
September 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Sure it make sense for Fender. I'm just not excited about it.

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Fender makes a double HH guitar and gets slammed for it? Why?
Don't get me wrong--I'm not "slamming" them, just poking a little fun. They're probably pretty good guitars, particularly at those prices. I'm just bemused by the whole marketing spin, especially that "new and innovative" characterization. And, BTW, Fender has made HH guitars for years....

MAXIFUNK
September 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Don't get me wrong--I'm not "slamming" them, just poking a little fun. They're probably pretty good guitars, particularly at those prices. I'm just bemused by the whole marketing spin, especially that "new and innovative" characterization. And, BTW, Fender has made HH guitars for years....

Yeah I know I have tele with double HH for almost 2 years now.
My cousin has a custom shop double HH strat with Dimarzio's he bought in the mid to late 80's I have been trying to get him to sell it to me forever but he won't budge on the for FREE price LOL.... I wonder why.
I was just playing devil's advocate. Saw an opening had to take it.

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the first Fender HH model would have been the Tele Deluxe in '72.

NWBasser
September 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM

About 20 years ago I had a Fender HM strat that came with two hot humbuckers and a floyd rose.

The notion that these are something new is a bit curious.

tjcurtin1
September 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM
You're hired! When can you start?

Mike Wordsmith, Fender Marketing Dept.

LOL! :thumbsup

You are quite punny today!

I am glad that they didn't use the following terms:

1. crushing
2. punishing
3. slamming
4. shredding

You know, it could have been worded like this:

Calling all Shreddy Kreugers! You know you like both kinds of music: HEAVY and METAL! When ur ready to lay down the br00tahlz, there's only one brand for insane, slice 'em and dice 'em riffage. When ur ready for crushing power chords, punishing riffs, and slamming detuned mayhem, we've got the only models suitable for razor sharp, lightning quick stage battles. Sharpen your axe. Leave 'em lying on the blacktop. Fender Blacktop Series.

t_ross33
September 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
ya know, I didn't even read the ad copy, just looked at the pictures and specs. I still like the black on black Tele :rockya I test drove a Blade (http://www.bladeguitars.com/)T-style HH a while back and really liked it. While in the end, it's just another tool in the toolbox, or club in the golf bag or whatever metaphor you like, I still think they look f*ng cool :french

markb
September 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the first Fender HH model would have been the Tele Deluxe in '72.

1972 was when the "Wide Range" humbucker entered the Fender catalogue for sure. It was used in the Tele Deluxe and Custom and the Starcaster semi. I can't think of any other guitars with humbuckers in from Fender until the 80s when they used off-the-peg Gibson type 'buckers.

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
You're hired! When can you start?

Mike Wordsmith, Fender Marketing Dept.

If only it were that easy... LOL!

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
About 20 years ago I had a Fender HM strat that came with two hot humbuckers and a floyd rose.

The notion that these are something new is a bit curious.

Gawd, but I wish I had bought one of those back in the day... I thought they were completely cool. I remember seeing a jazz fusion band on campus at college, and the guitar player had a pink HM Strat. He absolutely ripped that night. Made me go back to my dorm and practice like a fool.

Greg Howe played one back then, didn't he?

Duffy
September 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I like them.

They should have been offering things like these right along, instead of the ones with the oddball sized Fender humbuckers that you can't hardly find upgrades for.

These new Black Tops can be rigged up with some real nice aftermarket HB's or played like they are. I imagine quite a few people hot rod them though. The strat and tele look real good to me.

I have a mahogany body Squier with duncan designed regular humbuckers and no pickguard that is a really nice guitar.

I hope these new versions are successful and encourage some single coild Fender mono-minders into trying out some humbucker guitars plus draw in some Fender haters into the crowd.

They definitely fill the humbucking Fender guitar void, unless you included the noisless Fenders.

A nice humbucking Fender will let you play a fender looking guitar thru an ultra high gain amp and sound good. This is a good thing.

Try playing a regular Fender single coil thru an ultra high gain amp. Woops.

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I'm ok with it. Fender looking to market what they are good at in new ways to reach new customers. Nothing wrong with that. I like my guitars less pointy and more curvy anyway!

Heywood Jablomie
September 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Looks to me like Fender's latest (and certainly not first) attempt to capture some of the humbucker (read: Les Paul) market, in general.

Duffy
September 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM
In a highly competitive marketplace mfg's have to make products that they don't want to make just to stay in business. In this case they are trying to appeal to a quite different customer than the traditional Fender customer.

The good thing is that these are probably well made guitars, not junk. But they have to compete against Schecter, Michael Kelly, ESP LTD, Ibanez, etc., that are making excellent humbucking guitars even cheaper that might actually be better designed and built guitars, not to mention better sounding. We will have to see how these new Fenders turn out.

As far as making products that they don't want to make just in order to stay in business you will find mfg's making basically junk products that compete ate the entry level and contribute to a vast portion of overall sales in some cases - this would be like affinities, etc. I doubt that Fender wants to make Affinities. They do it to stay competitive and generate sales.

Does Fender even want to make the Classic Vibe Squiers? These are awesome guitars of excellent quality selling very inexpensively and challenging other Fender guitars in quality, costing much more. They sell a lot of Squier Classic Vibe guitars - they have almost a cult following. CV's generate a lot of sales - BUT they cost a lot more to make than standard Squires: better materials, craftsmanship, quality control, design, etc. The profit margin on the CV's has to be smaller than on the standard Squire products.

These black tops are selling for the same price as traditional Fender MIM std guitars. We will see if they are well made and can compare to the competition. If they are excellent they will develop a strong market and dedicated followers. Unlike the CV's, they are not a lot cheaper than similar items - in fact similar items are cheaper than the Black Tops.

This will be interesting to see how these items sell and of what quality and capabilities they are compared to the competition.

I "know" I can buy a few different Schecters or Michael Kelly's for the same price that are going to sound and play great.

Seems like a risky venture into territory that is already well saturated, unless they have something really excellent - which doesn't appear on the surface to be the case. Like others said, it looks like just another attempt to grab some market share, with an unremarkable product, maybe even an unlikely product.

Tig
September 16th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I see that the Jaguar has a 24" scale and the other all have 25.5" scales. Strange that the Jazzmaster is the only one with just 21 frets while even the Jaguar has 22.

I need an HH guitar, but would like to have a Gibson scale, not another 25.5 like my existing guitars all have. Also, I need another black guitar like I need another black guitar!

I wonder how good the quality of the Blacktops are? I'm leaning towards Agile... for now.

deeaa
September 16th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Never before have I thought stock Fenders looked really good. But that Jazzmaster looks cool!

MAXIFUNK
September 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
The good thing is that these are probably well made guitars, not junk. But they have to compete against Schecter, Michael Kelly, ESP LTD, Ibanez, etc., that are making excellent humbucking guitars even cheaper that might actually be better designed and built guitars, not to mention better sounding. We will have to see how these new Fenders turn out.

I "know" I can buy a few different Schecters or Michael Kelly's for the same price that are going to sound and play great.

Seems like a risky venture into territory that is already well saturated, unless they have something really excellent - which doesn't appear on the surface to be the case. Like others said, it looks like just another attempt to grab some market share, with an unremarkable product, maybe even an unlikely product.

I have never laid hands on a Schecter I liked and even their top of the line stuff not impressed at all.
Micheal Kelly are nice guitars but have never seen one in a store at all.
And I window shop a lot all over the LA Area/So. Cal. This year alone I have been to at least 20 to 30 Different stores from San Diego to Santa Barbara and never once ran across a MK.

So, just from availability stand point alone its a win win for Fender versus those 2 brands. You can also add Peavey & Hagstrom to that list as well.
I have been to 3 Best buys and still no Hags to be touched in stock yet.

I think their real selling point no matter who the competition is, are the people like myself who love the fender neck 25.5 scale 9.25 to 12 inch radius not the super flat shredder necks most of the Double HH vendors sale.

I think it was very smart of them to stick to their own body style and sale the Fender look and feel there are already enough LP wanna-bees out there.

If the MIK Tele I have had that more traditional Fender neck not that 15.75 radius I would be damn happy with that and my Gibby to handle all of humbucker needs one 25.5 scale and one 24.5 scale I'm covered.

But since I am not happy with that Tele it looks like either the Ibanez DarkStone DN500 or maybe the Blacktop strat.

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I want something like that strat someday so I can do the Rivers Cuomo thing too. (Fender Stratocaster with two of the pickups replaced with a black Seymour Duncan TB59B1, AKA the "Trembucker 59", and a red and yellow DiMarzio "Humbucker From Hell"). I also agree on the normal Fender scale and radius too. I like that feel. I think my Hag can cover an LP close enough for me right now. The next guitar always seems to come down to between a strat set up like that, or a tele with a humbucker in the neck. (DVM's CV Squire conversion comes to mind).

Andy
September 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I think some of this has to do with the huge popularity of the band slipknot and their emg equipped telecasters... and the popularity of the tele in general these days for all types of music...it's amazing how popular the tele is with rock and metal bands.

20 years ago i would never believed a tele used in hard rock-metal.
(unless you count the stones as hard rock ?)