PDA

View Full Version : NAD: Fender Mustang II (it's here)

Perfect Stranger
September 15th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Got a wild hair and just ordered the new Fender Mustang II amp. Don't ask me why....just figured
it'd be fun to dick around with. Got Musician's Friend to knock $25 off so it was $175 to my door.
I find that if I call first thing when their lines open, before they have to deal with assholes all day,
they will usually give you a decent discount just by asking. Anyway, looking forward to seeing
how the computer interface works and if it's pretty decent. And I can still break out my Jet City when
I want to get serious... :thumbsup

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mustang-II-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H61790

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/2/5/7/759257.jpg

Hope it'll be fun.......for a while, at least!

FrankenFretter
September 15th, 2010, 07:00 AM
"Hidden capabilities"...intriguing...

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Sweet! Post a clip when it comes in...

Looks like a functional modeler, without too many bells and whistles. Can't wait to hear it!

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Geez, that sucker is loaded!

The only downside would be the two channel footswitch, for playing rehearsals or live.

Maybe the models are sensitive enough to clean up when backing off of the volume knob. Then, one could use the switch as a Rhythm / boosted lead switch.

Perfect Stranger
September 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Awwww....I just got this to mess around with. Should I ever decide to actually
play somewhere I have my Jet City amp and pedals to use.

hooch1
September 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I bought one last week. The amp is amazing for $200. It does clean up with the guitar knobs and is sensitive to picking dynamics. The Fender models are spot on.

bcdon
September 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
How is this different than the GDEC-3? Aside from the price.
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2354500000

Tig
September 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM

My take is that the GDEC-3 is a processor driven menu/interface with more bells and whistles. 100 pre-sets, a huge library of backing tracks and downloadable patches (via AmpliTube LE) from famous geetar players, yada-yada-yada.

The Mustang looks like an easier interface, and fairly simple, but still has plenty of useful features. It also has a speaker out, which the GDEC-3 doesn't have, and a 12" speaker vs GDEC's 10". The GDEC has a 4-button foot switch vs Mustang's 1-button.

I'll have to play the Mustang some time. The price is nice. I played the GDEC-3 Thirty watt, and once you get the hang of the interface, it is pretty fun. An A/B demo would be needed before choosing, but you'd need to plug them into a laptop to really see what they are capable of, including recording features that both have.

Perfect Stranger
September 17th, 2010, 03:44 AM

Another major difference is, I don't think the GDEC has the USB out for connecting to your computer and recording. I've never played
a GDEC so I could be wrong. Another major concern is the cost. May not matter to you, but a major factor to me.... ;)

Perfect Stranger
September 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Got it today and initial thoughts are.....man, it's got a LOT of stuff!
Sounds really good for a solid state amp. The presets are pretty
dead on. It's LOUD. I need lots more time with it. Gonna have to
read......

One cool thing.....you can hook it to your computer and upload new
presets to the amp. Actually load them into the amp....not just play
them thru the amp, but load them INTO the amp and take them with
you when you take the amp somewhere. I thought that was cool. :applause

Katastrophe
September 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
That's awesome! Post a clip when you get a chance, and a real live pic... The 20 watter is in my price range (read: cheap).

I'm glad it's loud. Is the 40 watter loud enough to play out somewhere?

Congrats!

FrankenFretter
September 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
That's cool, PS! I actually saw on the Agile forum that it had come. It sounds like a killer deal for a whole lot of interactive fun. That's a ton of software for the price, along with a decent sounding amph.

If I didn't already have the Cube 60, I'd be very seriously considering the Mustang. I'd like to hear some clips, when you have the time.

Tig
September 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
There's a good chance that the Mustang amps will eat into the GDEC-3 market, kinda' like how the CV Squiers did to the MIM Fenders.

Looks like you got a sweet amp for a good price, which is my favorite recipe.

Perfect Stranger
September 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM
OK...OK...I have to stop for awhile coz my fingers are hurting! I LOVE THIS AMP!
Been playing it for 2 hours straight just using the stock presets and it sounds so
good. Fender has knocked it out of the park with this one. The presets are dead
on....distortion is how it SHOULD sound....sustain is where and how it SHOULD be
....reverb is how it SHOULD be. I just love this dang thing. Every bit as loud as
the SCXD and way more flexible. Don't get me wrong, the SCXD is a fine, fine amp
but I think the Mustang II will give it a run. Plenty loud enough for small venues
and I'm sure it will mic well or plug directly into a PA.

The voices are GREAT. Sound exactly as they should. At just shy of $200 this thing
is amazing. It will do it all. And I haven't even tried adjusting presets or uploading
patches or any of the other cool stuff this baby will do. I know it sounds like I'm
gushing...and that's coz I AM gushing. This small 40 watt amp is amazing. I'm really
digging it.

I'm sure the 20 watt Mustang I will be perfect those apartment dwellers and bedroom
players that want a good sounding amp at a low price, that won't crack the plaster. If
it's any where close to the Mustang II they will probably sell out quickly.

Anyway, loving it so far...once I get a chance to dick around with the presets and
software. I'll try to do some clips too. Sure hate that my amateurish playing will be
showcasing this little baby.

Bottom Line: Get it! Get it NOW! Do not pass go.....just go get it! :happy

Perfect Stranger
September 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
How does it sound? Here ya go....

iiq6TQ9VZTw

kiV2SGbWFCo

Tig
September 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Dang, I didn't expect them to sound this good!
The 40 watt might be just the thing for some of our church players.

Perfect Stranger
September 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
More cool beans....the Fuse software automatically accesses a Fuse Community Forum
that lets you download presets and backing tracks. Not a ton of stuff on there yet but
looks like it's growing quickly. If you are familiar with Amplitube you'll have no trouble
picking up Fuse. It's very easy....