PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new neck pickup

gorkblok
September 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Looking for something that maintains clarity at high gain settings for metal solos, Yet still has a kick clean. Something that can be played in conjunction with either or all of my other pickups without losing its punch, or bringing the other pickups down. I'm also looking for new pots. Any suggestions?

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM
How do you like the Lace middle pickup in the guitar? They make a Sensor Emerald that sounds like it would compliment the middle pup...

Barring that, for heavy music, I really don't think you can beat an EMG set. Powerful and dead quiet when not playing.

My favorite brand of passive pickups is Seymour Duncan. If they don't have a pup to fit what you need, then you don't need it!

gorkblok
September 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
How do you like the Lace middle pickup in the guitar? They make a Sensor Emerald that sounds like it would compliment the middle pup...

Barring that, for heavy music, I really don't think you can beat an EMG set. Powerful and dead quiet when not playing.

My favorite brand of passive pickups is Seymour Duncan. If they don't have a pup to fit what you need, then you don't need it!

Lol, i was thinking about going with either emg single passives, or Duncans. Maybe a double rail or something, but i dont know how that would sound if I tossed in my bridge pickup also.

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_s/

In a single coil sized rout, going for a heavy sound, with a passive pickup, I'd choose these.

I just don't know about EMG passives... Not saying they're bad, just haven't tried 'em.

I have a rail type single coil sized humbucker in the neck of my ESP, and a bridge regular sized 'bucker. They sound fine together. The only way to tell, really, is to wire one up on your particular guitar and see!

Good luck, man!

gorkblok
September 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
kool, thanks.

Katastrophe
September 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Have you also thought of the Carvin single coil or the twin blade? They might be complementary to your bridge pickup, too.

gorkblok
September 16th, 2010, 11:03 AM
i was thinking about that too, but I do like the tones of Duncans

Duffy
September 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Seymour Duncan JB Jr - very hot and no reason you can't put it in neck position' Always great in bridge.

gorkblok
September 24th, 2010, 03:34 PM
hmm thats something to think about too

marnold
September 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'd also suggest a Dimarzio Area 61. I had two in a guitar I used to own. It will give you more of a single coil sound when playing clean than a blade humbucker will, but it is still dead quiet. It sounds really sweet with gain too. Here's a couple of clips I recorded with mine using the stomp box models on my Digitech EX-7:

Area 61 with Boss Metal model (http://www.box.net/shared/7qjwx2xw08)
Area 61 with ProCo Rat model (http://www.box.net/shared/zo0s0mrk0c)