PDA

View Full Version : What's your application of the guitar?

Eric
September 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I've seen something like this before, but thought I'd give it a go for the latest updates. After all, don't we all love a chance to talk about ourselves?

I know we talk an awful lot about an awful lot of things on this forum, but considering it is a guitar forum, what are the things you are currently doing in your guitar life? Do you play to yourself at home? Come up with new songs? Play gigs in a cover band? Practice technique in the bedroom?

I'll start:

I play weekly at my church, with a 2-hour practice on Thursdays and two services on Sundays. It's not a huge church (maybe 250 capacity for one service), but it's a fun way to be involved and it's a good musical outlet. I play lead/electric, but there's also a lot of rhythm work in there.
I also get together with a separate drummer and bassist on Fridays and we play over some covers or just jam and goof around. We've been in contact with a singer and another guitarist, so maybe we'll have a full complement before too long. I found them via Craigslist.
Lastly, I take lessons every other week. It's kind of descended into more of a discussion/coaching session than anything else, which I think is good. I still need help on technique, but my main area of need is for figuring out appropriate leads and/or solos to use. The lessons have been beneficial, though not necessarily in the way I thought they would be.

So...how about you?

omegadot
September 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I play myself and I mostly like to come up with my own little songs. I do that especially on the acoustic in the living room. The electric I enjoy playing rock songs I like by other people.

Katastrophe
September 16th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Used to gig, and want to again. Badly.

But, there is no time, and I don't know any players around here.

deeaa
September 16th, 2010, 01:03 AM
* Play once a week with a band, Spookbox, usually also record something
* Test some gear/make a vid almost weekly.
* Play guitars for my online projects, Whobody for whom I make songs, and P-43 for which I usually only sing but now doing Hallowed Be Thy Name guitars for a chance.
* Sometimes play guitar just for fun/give my fingers something to do, maybe once a week at night when others sleep, without amp.

Sadly no real playing time except purpose-driven, and no practice except with the band...but usually it's mostly making new music more than practice or exercise. No time to play strictly for 'fun' or self-improvement purposes.

kidsmoke
September 16th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Cool idea Eric

I'm a student at a NFP School in Chicago, currently part of one of the MANY ensembles that are available to students. They focus on certain artists, or a genre, or even a certain album, usually with an eye on playing out somewhere at somepoint. The group I'm part of now covers 70's rock pop. The point being that back in the day, , the same radio station would play Aretha and Zeppelin, America, an Sly and the family Stone, so we do the same. This week we're doing Aqualung, Rikki don't lose that number, all good people, and Drift away. I do lead vocals, Rhythm guitar and splashes of lead. We are all being pushed where we are at by the instructors. They know our skills and are constantly nudging us forward. We've played everything from little hole in the wall Taverns to The "Taste of Chicago", a huge outdoor festival on the lakefront.

I also host an open mic once a month here in Chicago, for that I am always working on a couple of acoustic numbers, often enlist a co-singer or a bassist to fill it out a little. Love Ray LaMontagne, Amos Lee, New England artist named Dave Gerard, and alot of old standards that you've all heard. Working on Remy Zero, Johnny Cash and Jeremy Kay for next month.

A lot of cross pollination in the different venues as far as the people I play with, and there's talk of getting focused and putting a group together.

Between these things I keep a guitar in my hands a lot in my "free" time, but it's probably too multi faceted for me to be advancing in a "linear" manner as I should. I love it though. Keeps me sane.

In regards to the School, this place is amazing. Same school that gave us Steve Goodman, Roger McQuinn, Steve Earle, John Prine and more. Started by Big Bill Broonzy and a couple local dudes in the 50's.

If you're curios.....

oHuvTVnTNOQ

Eric
September 16th, 2010, 05:56 AM
This week we're doing Aqualung, Rikki don't lose that number, all good people, and Drift away.
I love Aqualung. The guitar solo is one of my all-time favorites.

Sounds like that school is really a cool place.

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I pretty much play at home for fun and enjoyment
I do try to improve, but am not taking lessons right now.
I used to play in a band.
I do play out with others sometimes at parties, special events, etc.

kidsmoke
September 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I love Aqualung. The guitar solo is one of my all-time favorites.

Sounds like that school is really a cool place.

Well there you go. My current "stretch" is to get that solo down. It's coming. but slowly. The first 8 measures aren't too bad, but then it really kicks in. The main riff of the tune is in the bag. That gives you an idea where I'm at.

This school is amazing. Can't say enough about it, although I still try. Big part of my life for many years now.

Perfect Stranger
September 16th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I play for my self and my dogs....and just aggravate everyone else.

hubberjub
September 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I have played in regionally touring bands for the last four years or so. My current project has me on the pedal steel guitar but I'm starting to play six string with another group again.

R_of_G
September 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I play mostly at home, mostly alone, and entirely for my own enjoyment.

I do have several friends that play and we play together though not with the frequency I'd like.

When I play, I spend some time learning to play actual songs, though as I don't play in a band, I'm less concerned with learning the specific parts precisely the way they are played on the recording and more focused on learning how the parts fit together as I enjoy deconstruction in my arranging.

Most of the time I spend learning actual songs is spent trying to work out the melody lines. I don't sing and therefore use the guitar to do my singing. I could happily spend hours figuring out a melody note by note.

I also spend time working on some original pieces which are in progress. They may or may not develop into full on "songs" of their own, but often lead me to different things to try out in improvisational situations.

kiteman
September 16th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I play for fun and I pretend I'm a rock star. :dance

Actually I love to play the 70s and slowly but surely I'm learning to play like my heroes that is Mark Farner, Buck Dharma and Tony Iommi among others. They rock my world.

Back in the 60s I was a guitarist in a surf instrumental band and played at local parties. That was fun. I still remember some of these songs and I'm revamping them to heavy rock. I remember one Beatles song duh.

I'm doing a lot of improvs and nothing to brag about but I made discoveries and so far I made 4 songs one being a medley. I'm not good at making lyrics so I just jam.

Spudman
September 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I play a lot at home. I write and develop new songs (covers too) and rehearse with a looper. Mainly it is with the intent of putting together material for a live set with my band. Usually my focus is in that direction. I want to take what I do to the stage and often will since I front my band. Otherwise, using the looper, I try to forward my playing by coming up with new licks...and have fun rocking out by myself.:agree

Tig
September 16th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not worthy... to play in public or in a band, at least not by my standards.
I play at home for myself, pets, and wife while she surfs the interwebz. Sometimes with a backing track, other times just creating new songs and patterns.

My only lessons have been from a few books, DVD's and online video lessons. Teachers like Robert, Pebber Brown, and a host of others have been a great help.

Heywood Jablomie
September 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I've been jamming weekly with another guy for three years, after many years of playing maybe once every few months. We do it for fun, although we sometimes threaten to work up a set list and go out to play. My current "application" is to have fun, learn new songs, and get better at playing leads and even some improvisation.

And I'll repeat one of my mantras: If you're playing alone, you're missing out on a LOT.

deeaa
September 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'll repeat one of my mantras: If you're playing alone, you're missing out on a LOT.

+1 true dat.

otaypanky
September 16th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I play because I have to. After goofing around with guitar for 48 years it's just a part of my life and daily activity. I play out at jams once or twice a week and I'm working on putting together a trio with two talented guys.
I truly believe that the joy I feel from hitting that right note or chord with just the right feel playing in my basement music room alone is no less exhilarating than what a big name musician would feel playing in front a big audience. Yeah, the crowd would be an extra emotional charge, and I understand and appreciate the magic of having people relate to your performance, but that's just icing on the cake.
A true musician or artist of any medium does it for the personal experience, nothing more. If they can earn a living from it or become a huge star, kudos to them. But I doubt Michaelangelo painted the ceiling because he was trying to impress people. Sometimes you just do what you gotta' do.

guitarhack
September 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I play mostly by myself, but occasionally I get together with a few friends that play, just to jam a little.

Eric
September 16th, 2010, 01:03 PM
A true musician or artist of any medium does it for the personal experience, nothing more. If they can earn a living from it or become a huge star, kudos to them. But I doubt Michaelangelo painted the ceiling because he was trying to impress people. Sometimes you just do what you gotta' do.
Whoa there...I wasn't saying anything to dispute this. Maybe you're just riffing on your own post, but I want to make it clear that the point of this post wasn't to assign value to those who play publicly. I was just curious what everyone was up to these days.

Eric
September 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
And I'll repeat one of my mantras: If you're playing alone, you're missing out on a LOT.
I've come to agree with this in recent years. I think there's something to be said for playing by yourself and how it enables you to practice specific things, but for me it's really enjoyable to make music with other people. It's something I don't really want to give up, because the growth and fulfillment it's given me has not been trivial.

NWBasser
September 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Well, for guitar I mostly play by myself. Just casual bedroom jamming for the most part. I do like to record guitar ideas along with a drum machine and then make up bass lines into completed songs. So yeah, I like it for composition.

Thing is though, I rarely ever play guitar with other people. I would like to at least sometimes, but there's usually more of a need for a bass player in group jam sessions and so that's what I do.

I really love playing bass and am currently in a classic rock band, although the actual gigging hasn't really been happening lately.

NWBasser
September 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I've come to agree with this in recent years. I think there's something to be said for playing by yourself and how it enables you to practice specific things, but for me it's really enjoyable to make music with other people. It's something I don't really want to give up, because the growth and fulfillment it's given me has not been trivial.

+1,000!

jpfeifer
September 16th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Good topic Eric!

In my music life I'm doing a few different things.
1) I'm working with my daughter to help her produce and record original songs. For this project I'm playing guitar, mandolin, and dobro. I'm a hack at the mando and dobro, but I'm enjoying the process of making music with my daughter, being her session player. I've shared these with several people here and everyone has been very supportive:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1002211

2) I'm also playing with a BeachBoys tribute band that does music from the 60's. We gig whenever we can. I'm playing electric and singing background harmonies. It's kind of a choir that plays live instruments. The BeachBoys stuff is much harder than it sounds. Here's a link to our promo video (the costumes are embarrasing :-) but the music is fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7YqJmY2B8

3) I'm playing at a church every Sunday evening with my wife and daughter as part of a music ministry at a local Catholic Church. We have been doing this for a number of years

Outside of this. I really play for myself overall. I find that I need to play for my mental well-being. When I don't play enough I get bummed out. It's like one of my piano player friends told me "the best shrink I know is my piano!" I feel the same way about my music. If everyone would find some thing like this that they love to do (music, art, sports, hiking, etc), and just do it no matter what, the world would be a better place and people would be happier overall, in my opinion.

--Jim

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
When I play, I spend some time learning to play actual songs, though as I don't play in a band, I'm less concerned with learning the specific parts precisely the way they are played on the recording and more focused on learning how the parts fit together as I enjoy deconstruction in my arranging.

I would like to learn to deconstruct arrangements as you suggest. I mostly copy, then tweak it my way later sometimes.

Most of the time I spend learning actual songs is spent trying to work out the melody lines. I don't sing and therefore use the guitar to do my singing. I could happily spend hours figuring out a melody note by note.

I really enjoy this too. I try to sing, but have a limited range. Most of my "soloing" over chords is very melody based.

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I agree. I have played in a band context, even in front of people (My standards are probably not as high as Tig's ;-)) And last year was involved in a good acoustic jam. No such opportunities right now though. I like my acoustic jam and hope it starts up again, but I am really itching to jam with a "band" on the electric side again.

Meanwhile, maybe I can use my looper more to work on the stuff I mention in my post just above.

MAXIFUNK
September 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Currently play guitar as learning tool to push myself to get better sort of a personal musical growth type thing to push myself to achieve a long term goal. I still have a very very very long way to go but have noticed even to me I am playing better albeit I still suck LOL.. My favorite line is "I am trying to unleash my inner Jimi".

I joined a band a 4 months back I'm the bass player lots of funk, rock, soul, R&B, and jazz we play. 4 of the guys in my band are sought after musicians and were only doing this over the summer because they promised their wives they would spend a summer at home with the family and do some fun family summer things. So, now that summer is over both guitar players are about to go back out on the road in October and the one Keyboard player is already gigging in Europe as I type. I learned tons from these guys this summer and played about 5 or 6 gigs with them. We have one more gig to do before a new format and version of the band starts practicing and getting our vibe set. The Drummer has landed a killer job with ATT&T so he'll only be doing studio work from this point on. He is a major Electrical Engineering expert working infrastructure enhancements for AT&T for every thing east of the Mississippi river.

So we are adding 2 new guitarist one guy I know and 1 guy the drummer knows. We'll be 5 piece band drums, bass, 2 guitars, & keyboards. Should be lots as fun. My/our goal is to get out and jam have fun and hopefully improve as a musician along the way. Maybe I'll play a little guitar like I do in our current format. The best thing about this I have gotten about 75% of my bass chops back. :dance

Fretz
September 17th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Great idea for a post, Eric.

At the moment this is what me and my guitar are getting up to:
Daily practice -> Trying to make some decent progress so I've worked out/continue to refine a practice schedule.
Trying to hit 2 hours a day. The schedule really helps!!
Weekend -> At the weekend I usually try to learn something new and then add it to the "practice schedule".
This then becomes part of my daily practice in some shape or form.
Band Rehearsal -> I have a band rehearsal every other week from 6-11pm.
Lessons -> I've just started lessons again this week...hoping it'll accelerate my progress :)

I also plan to start going to some open blues jams soon...I'd say I'll start this in the next couple of months. Really looking forward to it actually!

I hope things will evolve relatively quickly to include more jams, band rehearsals, and performances.

otaypanky
September 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Whoa there...I wasn't saying anything to dispute this. Maybe you're just riffing on your own post, but I want to make it clear that the point of this post wasn't to assign value to those who play publicly. I was just curious what everyone was up to these days.

Yeah I know that Eric. I wasn't either. Basement or bandstand, it's all good :rockya

R_of_G
September 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I would like to learn to deconstruct arrangements as you suggest. I mostly copy, then tweak it my way later sometimes.

For me, it came from listening to players like Thelonious Monk, Bill Frisell and Marc Ribot who will take a familiar song and reduce it to its component pieces and put them back together in myriad ways. When you apply it your own playing, you start to see the possibilities and beauty in songs you may have previously dismissed.

Most of my "soloing" over chords is very melody based.

Much of mine is as well. The possibilities of phrasing melodies are endless.

6stringdrug
September 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I do most of my playing at home now, mainly because I am a single father of 3. Lucky for me all of my kids are musically inclined. My 17 year old son plays guitar, bass and is getting pretty good at banjo. My 11 year old son sings very well and chucks a good rythym on the mandolin. And my 3 year old daughter bangs on her little drum set or plucks her little ukelele. She actually has pretty good rythym. Sometimes she "sings", such as it is (lol), but she has a good sense of melody and its all for fun as a family.

I used to gig quite a bit in my younger days, not so much anymore. I do play in an electric band 2-3 times a month, wish it was more but we are all fathers in our 30's and we just don't have the time. We rehearse once a week and we rotate houses and all the kids can play together or sometimes they join in and we just jam. I play a weekly acoustic gig at a small bar in town. wednesday nights, small crowd, 50 or so. Usually solo but sometimes my girlfriend sits in and sings with me.

A close friend of mine has a recording studio nearby, nothing spectacular but he lets me record for free when he has free time available. I have a old tascam 4 track I use to "jot" down my ideas and he helps me clean 'em up and put them to disc.

I have no illusions of being a rock star, but I play at least 2 hours a day and just started taking lessons for the first time just as a way to learn a few new things and get some ideas. Learning a little theory, new scales, and chord shapes. It's fun and even though I've been playing for 20 years I am constantly amazed at how little I know.

Sorry for the ramble, but that's my application.

:zzz :thumbsup

kidsmoke
September 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
For me, it came from listening to players like Thelonious Monk, Bill Frisell and Marc Ribot who will take a familiar song and reduce it to its component pieces and put them back together in myriad ways. When you apply it your own playing, you start to see the possibilities and beauty in songs you may have previously dismissed.

Frisell does a cover of Madonna's "Live to tell" which turns it into an awesome piece of music. Anything is possible.

MAXIFUNK
September 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM

I love that idea the things you learn on the fret.

R_of_G
September 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Frisell does a cover of Madonna's "Live to tell" which turns it into an awesome piece of music. Anything is possible.

That's one of the best examples of what I'm talking about. That album ("Have a Little Faith") also features Frisell's take on Dylan's "Like a Woman," which I already loved, but appreciated in a whole new light after hearing Frisell unleashed on that melody.

There's also Miles Davis' version of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time." Sometimes there's something to a melody that I wouldn't have known was there if I'd only heard the one version.

bigoldron
September 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I used to play in high school and college, but it mostly by myself or jamming with some friends - never in a band or in front of anybody.

About 3 years ago, I started working with the youth at our church and we wound up forming a praise band with me playing guitar. Been doing that ever since. We practice twice a week for a half hour each. We play in church from time to time and also at local events like Relay for Life, our local Harvest Festival and at other churches for special events.

In June of 2009, we started an adult praise band at our church too, so I'm playing guitar with them as well. We practice on Tuesdays for an hour and a half and play a praise song almost every Sunday.

We also have "5th Sunday" Community Sings, where several of the local churches get together. Occasionally, we will have a community choir as part of the service and I usually wind up playing guitar for that too. So, I get to serve God by sharing the little bit of talent (I DO mean little too...) that He has given me and to enjoy playing for an audience.

If I had the spare time and could find the right people, I'd like to also form a classic rock cover band. Mostly just for kicks though....

helliott
September 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I missed this thread. Nice idea. I play in a bar band, lotsa hassles but still enjoy it. And I woodshed a fair bit, trying to keep moving. Record a bit at home, mostly for my own learning, sometimes for other folks.

Jx2
September 27th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Currently as Im just getting back into it. Im mainly entertaining myself and bugging the neighbors. Well probably not to bad, as a quick step outside show's Im not the only guitarist in the neighborhood.

A couple buddy's and I have discussed maybe trying to put together a little more edgy bar band together. All 3 of us has had issue's with our factory jobs, women and other issues in the last 5 years. So we are thinking this could be a way to kinda restart our motiviation for music and life in general.

Brian Krashpad
October 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM
As usual a fun and thoughtful topic from Eric.

I'm a "band" person. I'm basically too lazy to practice or play at home. It just doesn't happen. So I join bands in order to make sure I keep playing, haha! Links to bands are in sigs, if you dare.

Crash Pad
My "main" band has been on hiatus for about a year, after losing a bassist, and me getting sidetracked by other projects (see below). We have an upcoming "comeback show" on the 14th. I sing lead, play lead/rhythm guitar, and write the music, though over the years we've done some songs by other bandmembers. Old school punk rock and roll in a '70's/early '80's style, 4-piece.

Hoyt & the Hotheads
My longest-running side band, doing roots rock originals written by my day-job law partner Hoyt, and the occasional cover (currently Zevon's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" is in the set). Think T. Petty/N. Young kinda vibe. We play both as a 3 or 4 piece. Usually as a 4-piece I'm the lead guitarist, and as a trio I'm the bassist. I did both parts on our CD a few years back. I also do some backing vocals. This band is dying on the vine from Hoyt's lack of interest. Have played once this year and a couple times last year, most or all of which shows I lined up. It's a shame, because the material is good.

Pedagogy
This is my "church" side band, a trio doing original songs written/sung by our praise band director, and a few covers (Dave Matthews, John Mayer). I play bass. Along with our drummer and me, the lead singer plays keys on most, guitar on some songs.

Cinnamon Hill
This is my "hippie" side band, doing a mix of originals and covers (everything from Gillian Welch and Richard Thompson to Jimmy Cliff). At full complement, a 6-piece, though we have frequently played with less. We don't use a full drum kit, just hand percussion (usually a djembe). I play mandolin and guitar in this one.

Praise Band
Have a weekly practice and play the late "blended" church service every Sunday, unfortunately only 2-4 songs. I play guitar and mandolin. Occasionally play outside church services, did a convention this last Friday and are doing a benefit for India missions at the end of the month. My daughter is our bassist, and at full complement, we also have keys, acoustic guitar, drums, ukelele (!), flute, and one person who plays either acoustic guitar or 12-string, bass (if my daughter is out), or trombone (!).

kiteman
October 4th, 2010, 11:07 AM
As usual a fun and thoughtful topic from Eric.

I'm a "band" person. I'm basically too lazy to practice or play at home. It just doesn't happen. So I join bands in order to make sure I keep playing, haha! Links to bands are in sigs, if you dare.

Crash Pad
My "main" band has been on hiatus for about a year, after losing a bassist, and me getting sidetracked by other projects (see below). We have an upcoming "comeback show" on the 14th. I sing lead, play lead/rhythm guitar, and write the music, though over the years we've done some songs by other bandmembers. Old school punk rock and roll in a '70's/early '80's style, 4-piece.

Hoyt & the Hotheads
My longest-running side band, doing roots rock originals written by my day-job law partner Hoyt, and the occasional cover (currently Zevon's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" is in the set). Think T. Petty/N. Young kinda vibe. We play both as a 3 or 4 piece. Usually as a 4-piece I'm the lead guitarist, and as a trio I'm the bassist. I did both parts on our CD a few years back. I also do some backing vocals. This band is dying on the vine from Hoyt's lack of interest. Have played once this year and a couple times last year, most or all of which shows I lined up. It's a shame, because the material is good.

Pedagogy
This is my "church" side band, a trio doing original songs written/sung by our praise band director, and a few covers (Dave Matthews, John Mayer). I play bass. Along with our drummer and me, the lead singer plays keys on most, guitar on some songs.

Cinnamon Hill
This is my "hippie" side band, doing a mix of originals and covers (everything from Gillian Welch and Richard Thompson to Jimmy Cliff). At full complement, a 6-piece, though we have frequently played with less. We don't use a full drum kit, just hand percussion (usually a djembe). I play mandolin and guitar in this one.

Praise Band
Have a weekly practice and play the late "blended" church service every Sunday, unfortunately only 2-4 songs. I play guitar and mandolin. Occasionally play outside church services, did a convention this last Friday and are doing a benefit for India missions at the end of the month. My daughter is our bassist, and at full complement, we also have keys, acoustic guitar, drums, ukelele (!), flute, and one person who plays either acoustic guitar or 12-string, bass (if my daughter is out), or trombone (!).

I guess that means you're a hobbyist. :poke

Brian Krashpad
October 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I guess that means you're a hobbyist. :poke

I sure as hell don't make any money at it.

:tongue:

marnold
October 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Playing basically serves as a catharsis for me. Sometimes my playing is such that it isn't very cathartic.