PDA

View Full Version : New Santana: Guitar Heaven Deluxe (Sept 21st)

Perfect Stranger
September 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Check out his newest album!

Carlos Santana - Guitar Heaven (2010) Deluxe

http://i36.tinypic.com/33vdod3.jpg

The longest-running, most successful partnership in the history of rock takes flight anew as Carlos Santana collaborates with the legendary Clive Davis on this brand new concept album. Produced by Carlos, Clive Davis, Howard Benson and Matt Serletic, and working from their collective encyclopedic knowledge of rock, a list of guitar-centric titles was devised and a Who's Who of guest vocalists were invited to perform on every track.
This deluxe edition features two additional tracks and a DVD of “behind the scenes” footage from the studio, interviews with the guest vocalists on the album and the producers, as well as an extensive one-on-one interview with Carlos Santana and Clive Davis.

Track Listing:
1. Whole Lotta Love featuring Chris Cornell (Led Zeppelin)
2. Can’t You Hear Me Knockin featuring Scott Weiland (The Rolling Stones)
3. Sunshine Of Your Love featuring Rob Thomas (Cream)
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps featuring india.arie and Yo-Yo Ma (The Beatles)
5. Dance the Night Away featuring Pat Monahan (Van Halen)
6. Back In Black featuring Nas (AC/DC)
7. Riders On the Storm featuring Chester Bennington and Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
8. Smoke On the Water featuring Jacoby Shaddix (Deep Purple)
9. Photograph featuring Chris Daughtry (Def Leppard)
10. Bang A Gong featuring Gavin Rossdale (T. Rex)
11. Little Wing featuring Joe Cocker (Jimi Hendrix)
12. I Ain’t Superstitious featuring Jonny Lang (Howlin’ Wolf, Jeff Beck Group)
13. Fortunate Son featuring Scott Stapp (Credence Clearwater Revival) *Deluxe Edition Only*
14. Under the Bridge featuring Andy Vargas (Red Hot Chili Peppers) *Deluxe Edition Only*

Sounds pretty dang good to me.....:applause

pn6SE8OPLq8

5DeOSLNbhfg

:happy

MAXIFUNK
September 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'll have to get this for sure!

Tig
September 16th, 2010, 12:33 PM
While the Dance the Night Away clip didn't grab me, the rest sounds good, especially While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

The album is already on torrent!
I'll buy the CD when it comes out, but will listen to the MP3's until then...

Tig
September 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Quick review after 2 listens. Take the formula used from his Supernatural album with some great guest singers and musicians, but playing all classic rock songs with a much heavier dose of guitar this time around. Not every song hits the mark, but Santana has done justice to most of them. Sometimes his constant fills get to be a little intrusive, but I tend to do the same thing, so I can't knock him too much for it.

This is certainly a guitar album, no doubt. Plenty of Santana style playing, but he surprises with several out of character styles with some very serious, heavy solos. Some songs usually fall into the "this is a classic that should be left alone" category, but Santana manages to honor them. A few have his trademark Latin percussion, and I could live without the Back in Black rap-crap version, Under the Bridge, and the Dance the Night Away cuts. Riders on the Storm suffers from weak vocals, but Manzarek's organ keeps it glued.

The stand out songs are:
Little Wing featuring Joe Cocker (surprised me how good it turned out),
the roadhouse blues I Ain’t Superstitious featuring Johnny Lang,
Whole Lotta Love featuring Chris Cornell,
Can’t You Hear Me Knockin' featuring Scott Weiland,
Sunshine Of Your Love featuring Rob Thomas,
and the slick yet absolutely beautiful While My Guitar Gently Weeps featuring India Arie and Yo-Yo Ma.

There's something here for everyone, well, metal purists might not like it, but you get the drift. Don't let a few undesirable songs keep you away from it if you like Santana.

Perfect Stranger
September 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM
The only problem I have with the songs is that they are too short! It's obvious that ol' Carlos is hoping for a radio hit like smooth. The songs could have easily been stretched a little.

Zip
September 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm extremely underimpressed. After lots of listens, only 1 or 3 songs are interesting - the rest should not have been covered, or should have been changed up enough to be at least mildly interesting. Back in Black as a rap song? And a poorly done one at that? Please....

Under the Bridge - while lackluster at best, I also counted 3 obvious guitar mistakes. In fact, the whole album sounds unpolished, as if everything was done in one take in the studio.

Carlos' pedalboard consists of an unmodified CryBaby Wah, and 2 amp switchers. That's it. And, IMO, some of the songs covered here needed a little extra something to do them justice. He's got tone for miles & miles, but...c'mon, ya know...

BTW, here's his current board setup:
http://www.woodytone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Santana_Carlos_pedalboard_2010_VGmag.jpg

Perfect Stranger
September 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'm extremely underimpressed. After lots of listens, only 1 or 3 songs are interesting - the rest should not have been covered, or should have been changed up enough to be at least mildly interesting. Back in Black as a rap song? And a poorly done one at that? Please....

Under the Bridge - while lackluster at best, I also counted 3 obvious guitar mistakes. In fact, the whole album sounds unpolished, as if everything was done in one take in the studio.

Carlos' pedalboard consists of an unmodified CryBaby Wah, and 2 amp switchers. That's it. And, IMO, some of the songs covered here needed a little extra something to do them justice. He's got tone for miles & miles, but...c'mon, ya know...

BTW, here's his current board setup:
http://www.woodytone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Santana_Carlos_pedalboard_2010_VGmag.jpg

Like the old woman that kissed the cow said...."To each, his own"!

Spudman
September 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
This will probably prevent me from buying this record

BLQ0dQs1AR0

kidsmoke
September 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm extremely underimpressed.

that was my reaction as well

I have NOT given it lots of listens, so I don't speak with Zip's authority in that regard, but I caught him on TV a week or two ago doing "While my guitar gently weeps" with India Arie, and heard "Little Wing" Thursday, and both times, at first blush, was left wondering who he's listening to regarding his publishing decisions.

I didn't not hear what I thought was anything reinterpreted or that gave me a new angle on the song or Santana. Sometimes when you hear a cover, it makes you HEAR the original song and appreciate it more. I remember years ago, an album of Dead covers came out, and heard one commentator state that he never really appreciated the writing until he heard others cover them (Los Lobos - Bertha,for example)

I guess that's what I was hoping for. I need to give it more time...but what I heard hardly has me counting the minutes...

Zip
September 25th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Carlos Santana. The man's a players' player, and a truly nice guy too. This album though is a turd. Most of it, anyway.

Besides his signature PRS, on Little Wing he played a Strat with Suhr pickups. Joe Cocker does a decent job on vocals, but after 1 listen you're going to like SRV's version better. Even Sting's version. Not this one.

On Back In Black, he played a Les Paul. Through a Marshall 50W head. With Marshall 8X10 cab. Still doesn't help.

I really wish this was a better album. But it's not.:nope

helliott
September 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Lotsa love for Carlos, but not loving this rap thing. Anyone have his Blues at Montreaux dvd? Pretty good, and has one of the last appearances of one of my favs, Clarence Gatemouth Brown.

oldguy
September 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Wow, that divorce must have really messed w/ his head...........

Zip
September 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah, but he's engaged to Cindy Blackman so no excuse there. :spank

kidsmoke
September 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Carlos Santana.

again, I'm with you. the tune of his that most likely cost me my hearing and my first set of triaxial 6x9's back in 85 was "All I ever Wanted", Good God. My entire neighborhood knew that solo note for note.