PDA

View Full Version : Jimi's Strat

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Thought I'd put up a link for those of you who haven't seen it ... Jimi's strat , a 65 that he actually bought and played at many historic concerts and on some of his classic recordings ... 750,000 , I wonder why it hasn't been snapped up yet and spirited away to some display case , I wonder if it will ever be played again , or indeed recorded again ... heres a question for ya , suppose you won the lottery and could see your way clear to buy it ,what would you do with it , I dare say holding it let alone plugging it in would be a near religious experience , but if you could whose hands would you put it into to hear it sing, who would you prefer to use it to record one more track ... hmmm..maybe EVH , maybe EC.... I think i'd like to hear Gary Moore do Red House .... what do you think? 6S9L
http://www.maverick-music.com/scripts/vintage-guitars.asp?idproduct=765

Tone2TheBone
October 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I saw that link the other day. Interesting. If I could afford that guitar I'd play it! Strats can take a beating. Vintage Les Pauls are more delicate. My question is....would I make the guitar "my own" and set it up for my style of playing or would I leave it as is and play it the way Jimi had it set for him. I think I'd leave it and play it the way he did....cept right side up. :)

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Wow, that is very cool. I guess it might be a good investment to buy it? I bet it will never be played again! Just stored in a vault somewhere.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Thats not the question , who would you like to see play it given its SPECIAL significance in guitardom... its stored in a vault now!...lets take up a collection and free it ... yikes

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'd like to see Scott Henderson play it. And Nigel Tufnel.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
LOL , TOUCHE.. yeah scott could rip it up...

Plank_Spanker
October 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'd scallop the neck and let Yngwie play it..............

Cranium
October 20th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Plank, you do relize many people will die....right?

Plank_Spanker
October 21st, 2006, 06:39 AM
Plank, you do relize many people will die....right?

LOL! I couldn't resist......................:D

Nelskie
October 21st, 2006, 07:09 AM
... but if you could whose hands would you put it into to hear it sing, who would you prefer to use it to record one more track ... hmmm..maybe EVH , maybe EC.... I think i'd like to hear Gary Moore do Red House .... what do you think?
My preference would be to have a young player like Kenny Wayne Shepherd enjoy that experience. Kenny has a lot of Jimi's "feel" in his playing - not that he tries to sound like exactly JH, or plays in the same style - but that his songs have parts here and there where I'll go, "hey, that transition was kind of Hendrix-like." Sort of like using the same basic recipe, but adding some additional ingredients for flavor.

Although some of those other players you'd mentioned would certainly be very worthy of it, I'd have a tendency to think that for someone of the younger generation, it may prove to be a life-changing event. And if it's only gonna' be one song - then Kenny is who I'd go with. As for which Hendrix song I'd have him play - - - that is probably the toughest call. However, I'd probably have to choose Manic Depression; with Hey Joe being a very close second (both songs are off of the band's 1967 juggernaut Are You Experienced.)

Bet'cha though I was gonna' pick Voodoo Child, didn't you! ;)

Robert
October 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM
I would have Joe Bonamassa play "Machine Gun".

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Maybe Buddy Guy, as he was one of Jimi's mentors , how about BG doing Wind Cries Mary.... that would be amazing , dig the young gun idea as well,

Tinky-Winky
October 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
I really COULD NOT see the point of storing it. When we're gone, it doesn't matter if it's in perfect condition or not - we can't experience it anymore. Therefore, while that guitar was in my possession you can bet that I'd play it every day!

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
I'd ask Tiny Tim to play Tiptoe Through the Tulips. I bet he'd shred on that'un.

& if he's already dead, then that'd be even more impressive.

Plank_Spanker
October 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
I'd ask Tiny Tim to play Tiptoe Through the Tulips. I bet he'd shred on that'un.

& if he's already dead, then that'd be even more impressive.

Yngwie will play it for you if you let me scallop the neck............:rolleyes:

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Yngwie will play it for you if you let me scallop the neck............:rolleyes:
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!

Yngwie playin' Tiptoe through the Tulips arppegio-style on Jimi's scalloped strat!

O what joy!

Iago
October 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
the day little Yngwie went shopping... watch that guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQuhDSxYB1o

Plank_Spanker
October 22nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!

Yngwie playin' Tiptoe through the Tulips arppegio-style on Jimi's scalloped strat!

O what joy!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:DR

Tinky-Winky
October 23rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
Well, he got a bargain, a nice 1963 Strat for just $6000!!!

Tone2TheBone
October 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
the day little Yngwie went shopping... watch that guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQuhDSxYB1o

That video always makes me mad. What a cheap skate. Haggling the price when he could probably easily afford it AND THEN he tosses it in the back of the limo like it was phone book or something. Fat boy needs to quit pissing me off. LMAO

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
this got lost somewhere along the way .. the dumbass meter went off the scale with some of this .

tot_Ou_tard
October 24th, 2006, 06:39 AM
this got lost somewhere along the way .. the dumbass meter went off the scale with some of this .
That may be, but I'd prefer not to treat it as a holy relic. Call it reverse alchemy---turning gold back into a guitar.

What is going to happen, however, is that some collector is gonna squirrel it away to enhance his props.

Plank_Spanker
October 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
That may be, but I'd prefer not to treat it as a holy relic. Call it reverse alchemy---turning gold back into a guitar.

What is going to happen, however, is that some collector is gonna squirrel it away to enhance his props.

Rest assured a collector is going to have that guitar in a glass case somewhere. When you boil it all down, it just a guitar. The cachet is what makes it special. Jimi's mojo doesn't reside in it, and it would sound like lots of other guitars when played.

The only real value of it is as a collector's item.

tot_Ou_tard
October 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Rest assured a collector is going to have that guitar in a glass case somewhere. When you boil it all down, it just a guitar. The cachet is what makes it special. Jimi's mojo doesn't reside in it, and it would sound like lots of other guitars when played.

The only real value of it is as a collector's item.
Exactly.

If only I could turn my guitar into a collector's item. ;)

r_a_smith3530
November 10th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Wow, that's what happens when you're away, you miss the juiciest posts. Well, I just had to reply to this one for several reasons. Hendrix was one of my favorite blues players. Also, I saw this guitar two days ago while watching the film "Hendrix," a documentary about Jimi's life, with a number of great concert clips interspersed by interviews of folks who were close to Hendrix.

As to who I would want to see playing this guitar, I thought long and hard, and could only come up with one cat. To hear Ladell Mclin on his album "Stand Out" is to hear Jimi's sound brought out to modern day. The only problem is that Ladell plays right-handed, and in honor to Hendrix, this guitar should never be re-strung back to its normal configuration. That would be like carving Mt. Rushmore in mirror image.

Check out Ladell, he's one bad cat!

Ladell's web site. (http://www.ladellmclin.com/)

Nelskie
November 10th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Check out Ladell, he's one bad cat!

Ladell's web site. (http://www.ladellmclin.com/)
You, my friend, need to head over to the Have You Heard section of the forum, and give us a little introduction to this player. ;)

Iago
November 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
His got fashion sense! but unfortunetely, sounds too much like a Lenny Kravitz little brother to me.