PDA

View Full Version : Fall rebirth

Spudman
September 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I get a bit hopeful and somewhat inspired by these beautiful flowers outside my house that just started coming up. I think they are crokuses. Anyway, with a long winter approaching they kind of keep me going just a little longer instead of resigning myself to the approaching cold and darkness.

What causes your fall rebirth? Floridians are exempt from this unless they say that it's the exodus of old people that renews them. :D

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/scenery/IMGP1344.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/scenery/IMGP1346.jpg

sunvalleylaw
September 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
My mountain bike, particularly as the trails are rejuvenated by a little moisture, and a lack of out of towners, and the wonderful colors that explode around this time of year, . . . and seeing new snow on the mountains outside of Ketchum, heralding the birth of a new ski season.

When I was in school, and still later when I lived near a university, the beginning of a new school year always brought a sense of re-birth as well. Inspiration to learn something new, or re-dedicate to improving something or another.

Bloozcat
September 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Now, now, Spud, Floridians have their renewal too...

Why, in the last three or four days alone the humidity must have dropped from 80% to 50%-60% and the temps are down to 88-90 degrees from 93-95 degrees. And just in time too. I don't think I could stand one more week of that hot weather....:happy

The changes in spring and fall here are very subtle. Outsiders would just say we're crazy to even mention them as they see no difference at all. Really, we just basically go from a six or seven month sauna-like summer to fall/spring for five or six months. But, it's those five or six months of glorious weather that we live for.

Robert
September 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Cross-country running! It's the season for that. I will be going to New Brunswick and Ontario for some exciting XC running in November!

MAXIFUNK
September 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I get a bit hopeful and somewhat inspired by these beautiful flowers outside my house that just started coming up. I think they are crokuses. Anyway, with a long winter approaching they kind of keep me going just a little longer instead of resigning myself to the approaching cold and darkness.

What causes your fall rebirth? Floridians are exempt from this unless they say that it's the exodus of old people that renews them. :D

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/scenery/IMGP1344.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/scenery/IMGP1346.jpg

Some plants bloom several times a year maybe fall is one the seasons for that particular plant. I am sure you knew that but said anyway. LOL

Spudman
September 17th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Some plants bloom several times a year maybe fall is one the seasons for that particular plant. I am sure you knew that but said anyway. LOL
Ya. They bloom in the spring and fall. It's nice after a summer of dwindling color and freshness.

Tig
September 17th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Why, in the last three or four days alone the humidity must have dropped from 80% to 50%-60% and the temps are down to 88-90 degrees from 93-95 degrees. And just in time too. I don't think I could stand one more week of that hot weather....:happy

Not much different here.

Fall re-birth for me is that first cool front that blows through and actually drops the temperature a good 10 or 15 degrees. The sound of the wind chimes on the North facing part of my home start to ring. We can finally open the windows in the house and let the fresh, cool air in.

All this should have already happened this season, but it is still fairly hot. We have a few hummingbirds gulping from our feeders on their way South. I love being close to the coast during bird migrations because we see all kinds of species.

Bloozcat
September 21st, 2010, 08:33 AM
Not much different here.

Fall re-birth for me is that first cool front that blows through and actually drops the temperature a good 10 or 15 degrees. The sound of the wind chimes on the North facing part of my home start to ring. We can finally open the windows in the house and let the fresh, cool air in.

All this should have already happened this season, but it is still fairly hot. We have a few hummingbirds gulping from our feeders on their way South. I love being close to the coast during bird migrations because we see all kinds of species.

I understand completely, the difference being that we can't even hope for a real "cool front" until at least mid October (and ususlly later). Last November was almost as hot as the summer months, but fortunately, the rest of the winter was colder than normal.

The weather man is now saying that by this weekend summer will be back as the wind shifts back to the south bringing us a bunch of hot, humid, air. Oh goody, goody....:nope

Well, it is the sub tropics, so it's to be expected. And I've lived here long enough to know that this is just the season of waiting...waiting for a little cool relief.

Tig
September 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
Well, it is the sub tropics, so it's to be expected. And I've lived here long enough to know that this is just the season of waiting...waiting for a little cool relief.

We only have 1 1/2 seasons... Summer, and a few months of cool-ish weather refered to as Winter in some parts of the world! :rolleyes: