PDA

View Full Version : I got a fender squire p bass, want to add a hum b and single c, need wiring diagram

WaaD
September 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hey guys, i'm WaaD, and i'm new :rockya

so i've had this bass for a while now, and i've already painted it and modified it a couple of times, its kinda a junker. My guitarist gave me the idea to put a guitar humbucker and single coil in it to make it sound meaner and be a tone monster. the only thing is, i've never done a wiring job this complicated. i have no idea where to start, i want to keep the other two humbuckers and just add in the humbucker at the bridge and the single coil on the neck for tone, and have a pickup selector. i already have all the parts, i'm just not sure if i should wire the new pickups in on a new volume and tone set or use the exhisting ones, and i have never added a switch before.

this is the diagram, i figured i've only seen people asking for advice if they have a diagram for it, and the way my bass is wired is exact to this.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_118184c93a24bb3bd3.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1776)

thank you guys, i really appreciate it!!

Spudman
September 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM
The Seymour Duncan pickup site has some good wiring diagrams. You might check there.

Duffy
September 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Are you putting six string pickups on the bass - a six string humbucker and a six string single coil?

You can get a single coil bass pickup as well as a bass humbucker real cheap, that way all your electronics would be easier, but adding a humbucker and a single coil is going to require some semi sophisticated wiring for an amateur like myself.

I think you need a different pot for the humbucker - bass or single coil- than you do for regular single coils. So, this means you have a single coil and a humbucker running off the same pot, which isn't the right one for one of the pickups. I think you correct this by using a 500k pot on for instance a telecaster with a humbucker and single coil, and then running the humbucker to the pot straight, but putting a resistor in the circuit wire going from the single coil to the humbucker so the single coil will be seeing a 250k-ish pot.

And then you have to put the right capacitor in there.

It sounds complicated to me.

You might want to run this new pickup combination on a completely separate circuit and switch from the stock pickup. Then install a switch so you can run both circuits together or separately. This would definitely give you a lot of tonal variety.

Another idea: have you tried a bass multi-effects pedal? The one I have can make any bass produce a huge array of tones from clean to very heavy with all sorts of great tones in between with parameters to control for every tone and effects to turn off or on. Makes single coils sound like humbuckers, etc. Mine is a Zoom B2.1u and has a usb output to hook straight into your computer, in addition to the regular amp jack. This is a powerful bass pedal.

WaaD
September 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM
For some odd reason whenever my guitarist and myself work on a project together it always works out. we took one look at the wiring that was already there and got it right first try. it's in the final stages of clear coating at the moment, and the pickups are from a Jackson Performer PS2, not a bass of any sort. It ended up sounding better than most guitars I've heard when its distorted, and the weeping demon pedal we use for some of our songs sounds GODLY with this bass now. I'll put up a link of me playing it as soon as the paint job is done and the neck is re-attached.

in other words, no need for a diagram, i'm lucky as hell!! :dude