PDA

View Full Version : New Whobody song Dear You

deeaa
September 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Actually originally made and also recorder by/with Crankenhaus, now completely redone for Whobody...but my song anyway. Never did really release this with Crank.

I play all guitars now and vox; a better/more lead guitars will be added when our lead guitarist gets around to it :-) and maybe some female backing vox.

http://deeaa.pp.fi/clips/dearu_17_10.mp3

Comments very welcome! I'm aiming for sort of a dated feel in sounds, kinda lo-fi and such in a way this time - so the vocal sound is intentional for instance.

deeaa
September 17th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Initially listening with fresh ears in the morning now, I'd say I have to lower the drums volume right away at least...any other obvious faults?

Eric
September 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I actually think the drums are OK as is, but overall the instruments seem a little sparse. I'm usually one for instrumental and sonic understatement (at least when compared to the alternative), but it seems like the swells could be a little more effective.

Actually, now that I'm getting to the second half of the song, I take that back. It seems to bulid appropriately here.

I like the chorus a lot, but as usual, I can't understand many of your lyrics unless I concentrate a lot. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as it's like that with many bands that I like. Your vocal effect at the end is a nice touch too.

deeaa
September 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Good to hear there might be room for yet another guitar there :-) I suppose there will be a guitar added. I think I'll try to use some sort of a dark and long reverb in the background for the vox to better separate them from the instrumentation too. Thanks!

deeaa
September 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Updated the file...getting better, still missing one electric guitar...

deeaa
September 24th, 2010, 10:29 AM
New link, better version.:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/lzm/Dear%20You/dear24_9.mp3

Eric
September 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Seems a little less compressed than the above version (?). Not sure if that's what's actually happening, but it seems a little less in-your-face. I'm not sure if that adds to or detracts from the song, honestly. It seems good.

One of these versions has an epic howl in it somewhere that's just awesome. I'm just flipping between the two of them for comparison purposes, so unfortunately I don't remember which one.

Katastrophe
September 24th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Great job, Dee! I like that the vocals have a raw, urgent feel. It fits the song perfectly.

I like the second mix better. In my crappy home computer speakers, though, I can't hear any bass guitar at all. I don't think it needs any more guitar parts or leads... I like the parts already there, and the song dynamics are fantastic. Maybe lower the lead at the end a little. It tends to jump out a bit.

Overall, I really like the song! Keep in mind that my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it...

deeaa
September 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys! Any comments are helping to push forward. I now dropped lots of extra parts there, so this next mix is much better but now lacks a solo completely. I think works much better with no keys until the very end, and then they are loud when they arrive. Much clearer?

I now need the solo there and a female voice for end choruses that are now completely gone...working on it...

http://deeaa.pp.fi/lzm/Dear%20You/dear25_9.mp3