PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts and ramblings about this forum

Hogfullofblues
October 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Well, now that I have spent some time here (read HOURS), reviewing post after post, these realizations hit me, in no particular order:

There is a ton of knowledge and experience here with friendly folks sharing.
I still have not read all the posts yet!
I have learned more here in this short time than in 6 months on my own, even though plenty is still over my head.
What the heck does GAS mean?
I still have a ton to learn.
I want a BAD MONKEY!
Think I may take my guitar apart this weekend....well, maybe just a little.
Looks like I will add a soldering iron to my Christmas list. At least the wife won't suspect that has anything to do with "that guitar".
"That guitar" will have a room mate ASAP.
I'm sorta glad I don't feel ready to record myself, since figuring out how to accomplish that will be a project and a half.
I need to organize my Explorer Favorites now since I have added so many.
I wish I lived close to Robert for some lessons.

One bad realization:

I have spending so much time reading, clicking and listening, I have not been playing as much! :eek:

Small price to pay :D

Thanks all...

Tone2TheBone
October 20th, 2006, 10:17 AM
No no no you must not substitute forums for playing! :) GAS is an acronym for Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

ted s
October 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Agreed Hog'f'o'b .. this is a fantastic forum, the folks here are great. I have yet to see anything other than friendliness and help unlike other forums.

I want a bad Monkey too, and a new VOX amp.

Justaguyin_nc
October 20th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Everyone here suppose to have a Bad Monkey... it's the sheeeet.. you will never find a better feeling than spanking that Monkey... G.A.S. is all over these forums.. It's been a year since I came to fall under the spell here... since than I have aquired 3 electric guitars... 1 Acoustic guitar.. 1 Bass.. 2 amps.. numerous pedals... and the need, to check in here now and then to find out what else I must purchase grows and grows! I still have never gotten around to buying that darn VOX amp which got me here in the first place...go figure..

SuperSwede
October 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I wish I had a couple of Explorers myself..

http://www.rare-guitars.co.uk/guitars/GibsonExplorer/BlondBombshell.jpg

Tone2TheBone
October 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
....that case is hurting my eyes. *squints*

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Good to hear Hog! We do our best to please our members...

tot_Ou_tard
October 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Everyone here suppose to have a Bad Monkey... it's the sheeeet.. you will never find a better feeling than spanking that Monkey... G.A.S. is all over these forums.. It's been a year since I came to fall under the spell here... since than I have aquired 3 electric guitars... 1 Acoustic guitar.. 1 Bass.. 2 amps.. numerous pedals... and the need, to check in here now and then to find out what else I must purchase grows and grows! I still have never gotten around to buying that darn VOX amp which got me here in the first place...go figure..
Just a reminder. You need a looper. :D

Plank_Spanker
October 20th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Hog,

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

GAS is a sneaky and insidious affliction that knows no bounds......:eek:

I have it bad. :D

Tim
October 20th, 2006, 05:51 PM
OH MY GOSH!! Another virgin to the dreaded GAS attack. There is no cure to GAS. Families have been ruined because of GAS. Only the FRET Net can temporally lower the effects of GAS attacks. As said earlier, it comes without warning.

Welcome aboard and stay in close contact to those who have suffered from GAS. There is a short fix to the syndrome, but it does not last long. Reading this forum only excites its impulse. Use caution while reviewing previous threads.

oldguy
October 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hog,
Good thread, some of my thoughts and ramblings...
I'm too busy too post or even read at times (like now)
An Epiphone Valve Jr. is a good thing.
It's better w/ a Bad Monkey.
I took a guitar apart, and had to buy a soldering iron.
Wish I could meet every new member here (or at least post a "WELCOME"!)
When you figure out how to record yourself, just do it, then post some clips, you'll get so much encouragement here you won't believe it, brother fretters want each other to develop and excel. Some of my clips really sucked, and all of them were nicely complimented.
I check out Dolphinstreet often, as I figure even if I lived next door to Robert, he'd be too busy to give me private guitar lessons.:D
I got a looper, you need one too, so does everyone else.
GAS is beneficial, as long as you don't hold it in.:eek:
I will pass on a new toy now and then to donate to this site.
There are certain things in life I cannot change, but the volume control on my amp isn't one of them.
Twenty thousand notes per second does not make a melody prettier.
Willie Nelson is cool, and I'm glad he didn't have lettuce in his bus, he could've died from eating it.:D
Keep on pickin', have fun, and don't take it too seriously.
Thank you, Robert, Trem, Nelskie, Superswede, Justa, VitalMyles, Spuds, Cranium, Tone, DuhVoodoo, and all the rest, you guys are the best!!!
Glenn

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Yes indeed! The brotherhood of thefret. Rock on y'all.
It all starts at the top. If Robert and Myles weren't super nice to begin with we wouldn't have all the camaraderie that we do. So hats off to you two.

Oh, I'm sure Willie Nelson perfers other green leafy products than lettuce on his bus.:D

oldguy
October 20th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Yes, he does, Spud. I was slyly referring to an interview he did where they asked him about his "herb" bust. He smiled and said it was a good thing it wasn't lettuce, he could have died from eating it!!!:D

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, he does, Spud. I was slyly referring to an interview he did where they asked him about his "herb" bust. He smiled and said it was a good thing it wasn't lettuce, he could have died from eating it!!!:D

Ya. I don't do lettuce either.;) Whatever that means. It's health food or something, right?

Hogfullofblues
October 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Agreed! Our forum hosts and members are top notch, top notch!
But this whole GAS thing....now I know I got it and it may be too late.

664 ...won't help, so it's off to ebay! Yea, thats the

ticket. Already found some treatment there, but 3 long days till the bidding ends. So it's back to the posts to locate more cure.

Thanks, I think...

Katastrophe
October 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
There is a ton of knowledge and experience here with friendly folks sharing.
I still have not read all the posts yet!
I have learned more here in this short time than in 6 months on my own, even though plenty is still over my head.
What the heck does GAS mean?
I still have a ton to learn.
I want a BAD MONKEY!
Think I may take my guitar apart this weekend....well, maybe just a little.
Looks like I will add a soldering iron to my Christmas list. At least the wife won't suspect that has anything to do with "that guitar".
"That guitar" will have a room mate ASAP.
I'm sorta glad I don't feel ready to record myself, since figuring out how to accomplish that will be a project and a half.
I wish I lived close to Robert for some lessons.

Ah, GAS, that wonderful affliction, or Gear Acquisition Syndrome as it is otherwise known.

Guitars should not live alone! Get "that guitar" another quick. It's a moral imperative.

Another great thing about this forum is that we're not gear snobs. An SX Strat gets as many "ooohs and ahhhs" as a Gibson. Here, it doesn't matter what you play, as long as you ARE playing, and stretching a bit to learn. We have pro level players and beginners here, and ALL will receive encouragement.