PDA

View Full Version : Live shows direct on the Internet

deeaa
September 18th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Well, this is something I've wished for for a long time.

They've been airing some band's live shows in cinemas, i.e. you go to a cinema and see a live broadcast of a band's show somewhere else in the world, and it's quite like seeing a real show but with better&multiple views and better sound. I'd much prefer that to a real live show with all the nuisances.

Now they've gone a step further, this place here is starting live band shows on the internet. It's been done before, basically all local pub's band shows are also available on the net on youtube, the bar records it from the mixer and via a webcam, but's that's more like a curiosity thing...this bar is really using a separate studio recording system to properly record the band live plus several good quality cameras.

So now I don't need to go to the local bar to see the band in person, I can watch it on my own couch! HOORAY!!!!

One day, we'll be able to do all our social and entertainment visits virtually, and in the end we can just rest in a cocoon and be hooked up to reality via technology when we want - that'd be awesum!

But, rather than that, I'd prefer the technology to develop so I could transfer my personality in a machine and get rid of the physical problems of humans.

Yep, I think silicon is the ultimate goal for the humankind, and that's what it'll some day become, once technology gets good enough to allow for humans to shed their mortal coils completely.

Probably won't happen in my lifetime or my kid's lifetime, but ultimately that will be the only solution for the humankind to survive once the sun dies and even further when all the universe burns out.

Duffy
September 18th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Daleks? Ha ha. Something got lost in the transfer. Exterminate?

Eric
September 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I had a comment on this at some point today, but I forgot it.

Oh wait, I remember: haven't you ever seen WALL·E, Dee? Your idea seems a bit too close to that reality!

deeaa
September 20th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Yeah it's a great flick...but, they never got rid of their physical bodies, only enlarged them :-) wouldn't you want to have your consciousness reside on a computer system, and basically live forever if you want, manipulate your perception of time and reality freely, and freely choose what to feel and when? When it comes to that, I guess they'll be able to also grow new biological bodies for people's new computer brains too, for enjoying the carnal sides of things :-) but I suspect virtual reality will be so tangible by then they aren't needed.

I just think it's a fact there will be too many people for the Earth to sustain, and furthermore the sun will only last as long as it will, so the only option for the humankind to survive is to reach other systems, and that appears to be entirely impossible while sticking to physical biological bodies. Even if it would be somehow possible to build vast spaceships AND break the laws of physics as we know them to be, there is no way to get enough energy and radiation shielding and simply time to transport human beings over trips that would take thousands of years even at light speed. To do that we have to become robots first, and even then it would be nearly impossible a feat.

Especially in the VERY long run when our galaxy first collides with Andromeda, and even further when all the suns die out and the entire universe dies, there is no way to survive intellect beyond that except perhaps in some forms of non-biological entities.

But, I sometimes wonder if the humankind should indeed survive much longer anyhow, the universe might be a better place without humans. If some vastly superior alien race would come and annihilate us, I would just accept it as nature's choice and survival of the fittest. Like I try to kill mice that try to inhabit our cottage, it seems entirely acceptable for another species to wipe out humans who do next to nothing but damage the environment and each others.