PDA

View Full Version : push push pots

gordy_sg_no1
September 18th, 2010, 06:55 PM
has anybody else found that push/pull pots tend to have a tendancy of breaking. i have found that push/push are better and i cant see why they havent taken off. push/push look alot more stealthy and have a couple of distinct performance advantages these are,
-quicker and easier to engage
-knobs dont come off
-less noticeable switching
i have installed many of these on other peoples guitars as well as my own and they perform so much better than i could have hoped for.

duhvoodooman
September 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
I've installed quite a few push/pull pots in my various guitars and haven't had any failure problems. Then again, I'm a home player and am very easy on my equipment.

Where do you get the push/push pots? Got a web link?

deeaa
September 23rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Was thinking the same thing, I remember more than one occasion I've tried to find where to find good push/push pots but I've never found suitable ones anywhere.

BUT I'd certainly prefer one, just for the sake of ease of use. Always hated to have to pull up on the damned thing, it'd be so much easier just to tap it.

The only thing I ever even saw any has been on some basses.

gordy_sg_no1
September 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM
just never made any sense to me i've found them in several places but at around £9 - £12 each they aren't exactly a cost effective install compared to the push/ pulls but stealthy changes and durability win hands down imo.

gordy_sg_no1
October 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
oh just found the place where you can get push/push US spec for £10 ish each so heres the link

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Electronics/Pots,b.html

just bought like 20 so theres 5 gibsons worth :happy

deeaa
October 4th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Dang, only 250 and 500k available...

jazzonman
October 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
has anybody else found that push/pull pots tend to have a tendancy of breaking. i have found that push/push are better and i cant see why they havent taken off. push/push look alot more stealthy and have a couple of distinct performance advantages these are,
-quicker and easier to engage
-knobs dont come off
-less noticeable switching
i have installed many of these on other peoples guitars as well as my own and they perform so much better than i could have hoped for.

That's true, but I have also good experiences from the other side. I'm not using guitar related switches - I'm using some kind o high quality universal toggle switches, which are better for me - faster and easier to switch. I just prefer toggles over knobs, and some more expensive (not cheap Chinese) toggle switches do the job well for me. The big disadvantage is that you need free holes in the guitar body to mount it.

deeaa
October 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
That's true, but I have also good experiences from the other side. I'm not using guitar related switches - I'm using some kind o high quality universal toggle switches, which are better for me - faster and easier to switch. I just prefer toggles over knobs, and some more expensive (not cheap Chinese) toggle switches do the job well for me. The big disadvantage is that you need free holes in the guitar body to mount it.

I've sometimes thought of that. Fender at some point used lots of toggles...plenty of room on a strat fretboard for those. Toggles would probably work well for me too, I hate most guitar switches by and large. I'd just need pretty large toggles somewhere convenient, I don't have the time to look at the guitar or anything when I play&sing&use the pedalboard already, that's why I hardly ever use any guitar controls save the volume which I can find quickly by groping for it.

gordy_sg_no1
October 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM
i have used toggles on fenders and such but if its a 1963 gibby putting in dirty great holes is not the answer. you have a valid point there as my gf dad has a steinberger with toggles for pup selection as well as for the active circuit and it is very usable.