PDA

View Full Version : Bummed - Need to play live.

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Tonight was the annual neighborhood street party, where I have usually been allowed to jam with a band that plays out once or twice a year, and otherwise has a weekly thing going in a basement.

In past years, there had been a set list sent around for a third set at this party where if you knew the chords to the set list and could hang, you could hop in. That was fun for me.

This year, no such list was allowed. The guys have been working on their stuff, and really wanted to showcase what they had been doing. Can't blame them, but I missed getting up there. I even threw the acoustic in to the wagon I hauled over because there was maybe going to be some strumming between sets or after, but not to be.

This just points out that I have not played out in about a year, other than my regular acoustic jam that happened over last winter, but ceased during the summer. I miss playing out, playing with others, and feel my playing is becoming stagnant as a result.

I need to find a new playing opportunity. I am a social guy, and playing with myself and my looper or computer just does not cut it.

I better find or make myself a new opportunity. And I prefer it to be electric this time.

otaypanky
September 19th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I feel your pain ~
'Sounds like you need a band !
The last time I was with a band that played out was in the late 70's ! LOL
I get out once a week, sometimes twice, to play at jams. I'm lucky that we have a healthy one near me, it probably draws 150 people or so. There are lots of musicians (and I use that term loosely) but there are lots of folks that just come to hang and have fun.
I'd say for me it's been playing at jams so much that has made me stagnant in many respects. It's a double edged sword. I get to scratch the itch of playing with other people and in front of an audience. But because so many players there are not skilled at playing with other musicians I tend to call the same songs time after time. Anything with a different timing or chord progression is a guaranteed train wreck. Folks don't listen, folks don't watch for cues, and basically don't know how to follow the vocalist or person leading the song ~
Luckily I recently found two good guys and we have been working on a trio for the last several weeks. Tomorrow we'll be playing in front of people at our local play off for the International Blues Challenge. We're not competing, we're just going to open the show and then do another set later when the judges are tallying up their scores. It should be fun.
I hope you find some people there Steve ~

Tig
September 19th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I feel your pain ~
'Sounds like you need a band !

We're gettin' the band back together...

http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/images/albums/very-best-of-the-blues-brothers.jpg

otaypanky
September 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
We're gettin' the band back together...

http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/images/albums/very-best-of-the-blues-brothers.jpg

Wouldn't that be cool !

Brian Krashpad
September 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Break a leg to both Steve and Panky!

I'm glad I have church every week, at a minimum I play from 2-5 songs in front of 200-300 people every week, and in a band format. Yesterday it was 3 songs, one on electric, one on mandolin, and one on 12-string acoustic. Friday night it was two long sets with the side hippie band, about 50/50 mandolin and electric, with one song on 12-string acoustic.

What I have really missed is playing with my main band, because it rocks harder than the others, and I'm the front person. We haven't played in over a year and finally have another show scheduled in a little under a month. October should be crazy, have 4 church services, one definite and one probable show with the side piano-rock band, one performance for a woman's group with the praise band and a second possible praise band performance to benefit India missions, plus a Crash Pad show.

Algonquin
September 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear about that SVL... it would have been a good opportunity to scratch the itch. In my lowly opinion, a street party is where you and others should have been able to participate and contribute, but what do I know.

Don't let it get you down, just keep on playing and enjoying a great hobby. Maybe take up skiing or cycling in the mean time ;)

otaypanky
September 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, use that disappointment as incentive to get yourself a couple of buds together so next year's block party will really rock!

sunvalleylaw
September 20th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys. I hoped I wasn't whining too much. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open for a new opportunity, and ask around some to see what I can make happen. Hopefully I can get a couple buds together to have some fun! :dance