PDA

View Full Version : Digitech JamMan

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I scored one on eBay - couldn't wait any longer after all this looper talk on the forum! I haven't recieved it yet, but I thought I might as well start the thread in advance! The voices in my head repeated in a looping fashion: "buy a looper, buy a looper"... It wasn't a layered loop - just one phrase! :p

Have you tried one? I am very anxiously awaiting its arrival.

SuperSwede
October 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Congrats Robert! :)

It could be a nice addition to your guitar rig when you play with Myra at all those optician stores!

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Well folks. That is the last we'll be hearing from Robert. After he gets his Jam Man I'll guarantee he'll be stuck in a loop, stuck in a loop, stuck in a loop, stuck in a loop, stuck in a loop...for a long time.

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Hehe, Spud may be right, be right, be right, be - what the heck?

Yes, part of the reason I bought it is so I can do better at comping Myra and I. Maybe I'll turn into the a one-man band, who knows. Maybe I can gig at enough optician stores to pay for laser surgery - I hate wearing glasses and contacts.

oldguy
October 20th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Robert,
Yes, I got one about a week ago, I've laid down five loops to jam with, but I've been so busy with work I hardly have time to jam along w/ it right now.
I used the RP 50 to get a drum thing going to keep time, then laid down rhythm parts. The timing took a few tries, I don't think you'll have any problem at all, though. Just... start playing @ 1.2.3, 1.2.3, then LOOP @ 1.2.3.LOOP.:D
Seriously, I think a bigger card is needed if you wanted to set up loops for a whole gig, but the 24 minutes or whatever is pretty long to get started. If you record clean for the loops, you can play them back clean and add effects w/ pedals on the mix. (I think Spuds mentioned this earlier, already).
The loop level and inst. and mic levels need to be balanced, also. I'm still playing w/ those.
All in all, I think you'll love it, and while it's nice to play w/ other musicians, if the bass player or drummer gets tired of 20 repeats while you get the lead right, the JamMan never complains.:p
Glenn

Robert
October 22nd, 2006, 07:59 AM
Is it hard to make the timing right for the loop? I think I will start playing more jazz standards once I get it. I'm gonna have so much fun.

Mark
October 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Congrats Robert you will have a ball with it. From what I have read the JamMan is a little trickier than the loopstation by Boss om the loop timing but nothing you can get down with a little practice. Enjoy your new gear!

Robert
November 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
It came today! It looks brand new - I got a good deal I think.

I'm still at work, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I guess I won't be going anywhere tonite... just me and a looper pedal, yikes what fun!

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
It came today! It looks brand new - I got a good deal I think.

I'm still at work, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I guess I won't be going anywhere tonite... just me and a looper pedal, yikes what fun!

Excellent. We'll look forward to one of your always appreciated full reports. Have a great weekend!

Spudman
November 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Well...that's the last we'll hear from Robert for a while. Anybody read any good books lately?:rolleyes:

warren0728
November 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Anybody read any good books lately?:rolleyes:
anything by James Patterson.....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
November 4th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Well...that's the last we'll hear from Robert for a while. Anybody read any good books lately?:rolleyes:
We could always reconstitute the Flower Garden. ;)

Or the weird food thread.

Robert
November 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Well, I've been messing with it, and I love what it can do. Still haven't figured out all the options. The "rhythm tracks" suck - I thought they might be like simple drum grooves but they are very lame. Good enough for practicing but not for performing.

I am planning to use this pedal with our duo. I played "Master Of Disaster" with it yesterday at home and it was really fun. I play slide for the melody.

I think I could also use a volume pedal after the JamMan to fade out songs.

Spudman
November 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Doesn't that have a fade out option? The Boss does.

You should be able to load samples into it from your computer, CD. tape deck, etc. That way you can have decent stuff to jam too.

Also, think about this; what if you sliced a song up into samples using Cubase or any other editing software. Edit that sample for length say to 4 bars (verse), load that into patch #1.
Next: Do the same thing with another couple of bars (Chorus) > patch #2
Next: Do that one more time 1 bar (bridge) > patch #3

Now you can go back and forth between saved patches on the pedal and perform a song in whatever order you like.
Want a 20 bar verse - No problem
Want a 700 bar sing-a-long chorus - No problem.

The possibilities are what make the loop pedals so intriguing.

Robert
November 7th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Mine doesn't have the fade-out feature.

Yeah, storing different loops would be cool. I'd need the extra footpedal to be able to switch between the loops with my feet. I might have to get one of those pedals.

Spudman
November 7th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Mine doesn't have the fade-out feature.

Yeah, storing different loops would be cool. I'd need the extra footpedal to be able to switch between the loops with my feet. I might have to get one of those pedals.

What?! No fade out feature? That is the coolest part of the Boss pedal (it comes stock).:rolleyes:
Just giving you static bro. I know that you'll be having fun with it no matter what.

Sometimes an amp channel switching pedal will work to scroll presets one direction only. Any momentary switch, latching or non latching, with a 1/4 plug to go into the Jam Man should work for experimental purposes.

Robert
December 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Well, I finally messed around enough to put something up in video format. http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-27.php

Let me know what you think. I do find that the tone suffers a bit by going through the JamMan. I may be better to use it in the amp's effects loop, but then I can't color the sounds with my pedals, since I use them in front of the amp.

It's great for practice anyway. I just need to load up some good drum loops to really get cookin'.

Tim
December 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Cool stuff there Robert. Looks like you are now a mater of the pedal. When do you plan on using it live in you 2 person ensemble?

Spudman
December 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM
That's great! Man, you're getting chicken salad on everything these days...and you still stay so thin.

Thanks for posting it.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Yeahhh Chicken Salad, I dug that 3rd passage! Pretty dang cool. Welcome to loopsville!

Robert
December 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys, I tried using last Friday at a gig, but it didn't work. We had a percussionist and a bass player, and they couldn't hear the loop well enough so I had to shut it off because keeping correct time quickly became impossible.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM
This seems to be a problem overall in a band setting. Did you run the looper through your monitors and PA or just through your amph?

Robert
December 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Just through my amp.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Pump it through monitors.

Justaguyin_nc
December 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys, I tried using last Friday at a gig, but it didn't work. We had a percussionist and a bass player, and they couldn't hear the loop well enough so I had to shut it off because keeping correct time quickly became impossible.

Have you used it yet for the Duo Robert? I bet it will shine thru and be heard than... Video was excellent as usual... these loopers are such fun to use..from beginner to pro..

Robert
December 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I used it for our duo when we had a bass player and a percussionist with us. I guess that makes it a "no", eh? :) Well, I'll try it more in the duo when I have a chance. Going through the monitors would indeed be the best.