PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about amps

jpfeifer
September 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'm considering a new amp after some thought about my sound. I've been playing through a Roland Cube 60 at some of my smaller gigs. I also have a Vox Valvetronix amp that I use when I need more volume. I'm kind of missing the fuller tube-amp sound, but not sure what to get.

There seem to be so many options these days and it's hard to nail down what is the best option for me. Here's my main criteria:

- needs to be very versatile
- have a good "loud clean sound" when I need it
- needs to have good lead and/or crunch sounds of it's own
- reverb & effects loop
- compact and easy to cart around
- reliable, or as reliable as I can get for a tube amp

I don't need an amp that does metal (I don't play these sounds anymore, and my ears couldn't take it anyway). But I do alot of clean stuff (surf music, Jazz, country, pop, etc), and crunchy sounds for blues solos, rock-a-billy, and classic rock tones.

There seem to be different opinions out there. Some people are reccomending to get a Fender clean amp and then just use floor pedals for all of my other tones. Although this is one option, I'm afraid that not give me all the authentic sounds that I want.

Other people are reccomending that I get some kind of boutique amp that costs mega bucks (such as a Fuchs, Carr, or something like this that costs $3k) It would be cool to have a super nice amp like this, but there are so many other choices at a lower price point, that I think I can find something much cheaper that will still sound great, and provide inspiring sounds.

There are a few lower-cost amps I've seen lately that look really good. Here are some that I'm thinking of:

- Line 6 SpiderValve Mark II (this one is plenty flexible and all tube, just wondering if it will sound as good as some of the other options). I've tried the amp and it does sound good. Just not sure how it would sound compared to the others.
- Egnater Rebel 30 (the online videos of this one sound great. However, I'm wondering if the clean channel has enough headroom to stay clean at higher volumes or if it will break up too much as I bring the volume up
- Fender Hod Rod Deluxe (this will win in the loud/clean sounds. However, I'm wondering if it will deliver enough of the other sounds to still kick, or will I need to rely on pedals to get most of the sounds I need outside of the clean tones.
- Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic (this amp sounds killer and it's extremely compact. However there's no reverb and no effects loop. I don't know how I could patch in effects pre and post preamp like you would with an amp that has an effects loop)

Maybe I should look at some of the other Mesa Boogie amps? I checked out the Express 5:50. The clean sound was great but I didn't care for the lead sound on it. Maybe I just didn't have it dialed in or something.

Too many options :-)
If any of you have any suggestions about these amps or any other models I should consider, any reccomendations would be welcome.

--Jim

DeanEVO_Dude
September 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Have you thought of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a booster pedal in front? There are some prety transparent booster pedals out there. That way, you are not using the pedal to change your sound, just slamming the amp a little harder to get more crunch.

Zip
September 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Check out the new Gigmaster by Engl : http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html

All the features you're looking for, + lots more, and under a grand for either the head or as a combo.

deeaa
September 20th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I'm afraid there are no real possibilities to suggest a particular amp, as it's so much dependant on the kind of sound you want.

Most amps are described as 'marshall style' or 'fender style' or these days 'modern style'.

These translate, IMO, to marshally meaning a rock machine with punchy mids, very convincing natural overdrive, fendery meaning bluesy sounding amps with more bottom and high end, more shimmering cleans, but OD/lead sounds tend to be less focused and more bluesy crunch, and modern meaning amps that stay focused with extreme distortion.

Then again the needed volume etc. is a factor. So it's hard to recommend an amph :-)

BUT what I'd suggest is a 100W tube marshall, a JVM if you can afford it.

The reasons: They do fendery cleans too when tweaked heavily, and have the power and the headroom needed. They also do both classic and modern sounds with ease, and all with 8 presets and 4 channels etc.

If I were to get an amp to do it all and more and be somewhat portable, it'd be JVM 2x12" combo.

otaypanky
September 20th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Although I haven't tried one, I have read several reviews of the new Fender Super Sonic 22 that say it's a very versatile amp

Eric
September 20th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Hi Jim,

I remember you asking about tube amps before. I guess you didn't settle on anything yet, huh?

The main question I had when I read your post was what sort of volume you would need, and whether you would be micing this amp if more volume is needed. It seems to me that clean tones at high volumes (i.e. if the amp is the only source of your sound for a gig) would be the tough parts to meet. Tubes amps don't seem to be kings of clean headroom in my experience.

Not having tried a wide range of tube amps, I'm not sure I can be of much use, but I suppose I'm just curious.

deeaa
September 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Most tube amps are built to clip, i.e. have less headroom, because that's the coveted 'tube' sound, basically.

BUT a powerful tube amp certainly has the headroom or more of the equivalent wattage SS amph. Sub-50W toob amphs are usually meant to get that tube compression/OD at reasonable/band volumes, 50W amphs are a good choice for plenty of headroom and still possible to get power tube crunch at loud levels, and 100W amps...well they do have plenty of headroom.

There are however tube amps with insane headroom too, like the Ampeg VT-22 I used to have...120W and CRAZY loud without a hint of OD...

piebaldpython
September 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Jim.....if you're running the amp into a cab, then the Egnater Tweaker would be great to have. Fabulous reviews. DUFFY here on the Forum has one and runs it through a SoCal 4x12.

Robert
September 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM
The Spider Valve MkII wins the most versatile amp award, in my book. Very good sounds and powerful too. Almost too loud for practice, but a great gigging amph.

marnold
September 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I'm with PBP. I haven't tried a Tweaker yet, but the specs sound like it would be right up your street. Having said that, "loud clean" pretty much screams Fender.

piebaldpython
September 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
The Egnater Tweaker is reputed to do excellent cleans with good headroom.

Justaguyin_nc
September 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
If you go up to a grand in price(sweetwater), maybe the Fender Super Sonic with 6v6's? Probably more versatile than the Hot Rod and still Fender. All the fender cleans plus some hair on it. watch some youtubes. I heard a guy play one live, no pedals and was amazed (im easily amazed).. everything was there in the little all tube box. Now, if i only had a grand long enough to buy one..sigh.

Justa tossing opinions.

MAXIFUNK
September 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM
BASED on your requirements

Fender Deluxe VM
Light weight, sounds damn good clean 40 watts, nice crunch, also has built in
reverb, chorus and delay. If I had not gotten a deal on my DeVille 410 this was the amp I was going to buy.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-VM-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=580898

Bogner Alchemist Series 112 40W

Great amp my friend has this amp in the 2x12 version it just does everything right. Meaning its spot no matter how he sets it up with his Tele, STRAT, PRS, or Charvel.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bogner-Alchemist-Series-112-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483407

jpfeifer
September 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Maxifunk,

Thanks for the reccomendation on the Bogner Alchemist. One of my other friends has one of these and loves it.

I really need to go and test drive a number of these to see how they will work for what I want.

Thanks again to everyone for all the reccomendations.

--Jim

kiteman
September 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Bogner Alchemist 112 owner here. :dance

Lots of tone shapings and sweet sounds. Has a 20 watt variac mode you'll just love.

MAXIFUNK
September 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Bogner Alchemist 112 owner here. :dance

Lots of tone shapings and sweet sounds. Has a 20 watt variac mode you'll just love.

Such a great amp also a very under rated amp. I'm full of ENVY good for you Kiteman lucky stiff!!!!! :applause

Katastrophe
September 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Quick question: How is the Alchemist different than the Spider Valve????

I honestly don't know -- not trying to stir up any poopoo here.

kiteman
September 21st, 2010, 01:31 AM
Quick question: How is the Alchemist different than the Spider Valve????

I honestly don't know -- not trying to stir up any poopoo here.

They're both made by Line6 and I think both designed by Mr. Bogner so I don't know what would be the difference.

gregsguitars
September 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM
You hit the nail on the head with your own answer, Get a Fender amp and a few pedals, The best Fender amp for killer clean and takes pedals well is a Twin, silverface or otherwise, 100 watts killer tone.

Robert
September 21st, 2010, 08:33 AM
The Spider Valve has tons of the "famous" Line 6 effects built in, and it has 16 different amp models, ranging from very clean to very brutal. Does that Alchemist have that?

kiteman
September 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
The Spider Valve has tons of the "famous" Line 6 effects built in, and it has 16 different amp models, ranging from very clean to very brutal. Does that Alchemist have that?

It have reverb and delay with three functions each and a tap tempo. It's pretty much a straightforward amp with knobs and switches for tone enhancements.

jpfeifer
September 21st, 2010, 11:23 AM
To your question about the difference between the SpiderValve and the Alchemist:

The Spider Valve is a combination of Bogner tube amp design, with Line6 modeling. The overall gain and power amp stages are all Bogner tube design, but the tone shaping (tone stacks), as well as the effects are all Line6 modeling. It's a very cool concept, sort of the best of both worlds.

The Alchemist is more of a traditional all-tube amp design by Bogner. Line 6 is only providing the reverb/delay/modulation effects. So it's more of a traditional tube amp.

Both of these sound killer. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to go with a more traditional tube amp, and rely on my own effects or do something more all-in-one like the Spider Valve.

I just need to do some serious evaluations of the different options and see what's going to work best for me.

--Jim