PDA

View Full Version : Reversing SG neck nut ?

oldun
September 20th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hi all,
I'm new here, and on the spur of the moment I purchased a SG guitar kit off Ebay, problem maybe is I'm a lefty, I have converted my Strat Copy ok from RH to LH, by reversing the nut and reversing the strings but now I'm wondering if I'm going to run into unforseen complications with the SG, is there any reason I can't reverse the nut, or are there other problems I overlooked, I chose the SG because of it's deep double cut body which I thought would be a great help for a lefty to reach the top end easier, other than buying a lefty designed, but LH not available as a kit, any suggestions appreciated.

Oldun ( Dave )

Heywood Jablomie
September 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM
That type of nut isn't reversible like a Fender type nut. Also the angle of the bridge will present problems with proper intonation on a lefty-strung righty guitar.

oldun
September 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM
That type of nut isn't reversible like a Fender type nut. Also the angle of the bridge will present problems with proper intonation on a lefty-strung righty guitar.

Ok thanks,
looks like I'll re-sell the kit, or finish it and sell it off as a working RH model, thanks again.

markb
September 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM

What Heywood said.
Apart from the shape of the nut, because the headstock is angled back from the bridge the slots have to be cut at a downward angle from the fingerboard to intonate properly.

oldun
September 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
What Heywood said.
Apart from the shape of the nut, because the headstock is angled back from the bridge the slots have to be cut at a downward angle from the fingerboard to intonate properly.

Certainly more to this than I thought, but thanks for your input, I'll need to be less impetuous in future, we learn best by our mistakes.

Heywood Jablomie
September 20th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Getting a lefty nut is not a problem. Relocating the bridge is a tad more complicated.

oldun
September 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=Heywood Jablomie]Getting a lefty nut is not a problem. Relocating the bridge is a tad more complicated.[/QUOTE

someone suggested cut a new nut, or get it cut, reverse the bridge and turn the adjusters around, without yet seeing this SG I'm not sure if that sounds feasible, appreciate your input though.

deeaa
September 21st, 2010, 03:15 AM
You can't reverse a Gibson style guitar without drilling new holes and rotating the bridge accordingly. Even as it is there isn't always enough room on a Nashville type bridge to intonate full well with very thick strings for instance.

In short, don't do it. Get a lefty guitar...or at least a guitar with a straight bridge like Strat that you can reverse.

oldun
September 21st, 2010, 05:59 AM
You can't reverse a Gibson style guitar without drilling new holes and rotating the bridge accordingly. Even as it is there isn't always enough room on a Nashville type bridge to intonate full well with very thick strings for instance.

In short, don't do it. Get a lefty guitar...or at least a guitar with a straight bridge like Strat that you can reverse.

Looks like the SG will be assembled as RH and sold, the experience wil be good though, then either a LH kit if available or ready built, at least I'll get an idea how these HB pups sound, they probably would need upgrading for better quality, but interesting to compare to the SSS on Strat, so thank you also for your time and thoughts on this, all appreciated.