PDA

View Full Version : Marshall AVT50 vs. Vox AD50VT

sunvalleylaw
October 20th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hi all. I am new to the forum and just getting started in electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic for a while, and played piano before that. I am getting a Strat Standard 60th (the blizzard pearl one) for my first electric, and am shopping for my first amp. I was leaning toward the VoxAD50VT, but can get a very lightly used Marshall AVT50 from the guy who is selling me the strat, probably for about the same price as the Vox. He gigs mostly acoustically and is cleaning out his electric stuff, keeping his Les Paul and a Peavey Classic 50 for what he wants to do. I want to play a mix of classic rock and blues, and punk it up occasionally. Does anyone have experience these amps? Thanks so much for your advice to a newbie.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM
get the Marshall .. period full stop ... welcome aboard ..6S9L

SuperSwede
October 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Hey Sunvalleylaw, please take the time to introduce yourself in the fret players section!

The 60th anniversary strat is a great guitar! Maple neck, tex-mex pickups and that gorgeous Blizzard Pearl finish!

I think you should get the Vox. If you intend on getting only one amp, the vox will give you many emulated versions of the most sought after classic amps. Check out Roberts website for some great ADxxVT clips.

Cranium
October 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
For versatility get the Vox, for the sweet Marshall tone that we all love get the Marshall. To be honest I do not like the Vox ADxxVT series, you should go to the store and try out the AD50VT then try out the AVT50, also do not forget to mess around with them a bit.

Edit: Be warned, those could get very loud since they respond like tube amps although they are hybrid, so they will sound best at higher volumes which may not happen if you’re playing at home so think if you really need 50w.

Secondly, the speaker on the Vox ADxxVT series is not that great, you will end up replacing it later on probably, another reason to get the AVT50 or you can get the AD30VT ($240) and the Epiphone Valve jr. combo ($100-140, varies in different stores) it will be good since you will have a true class A tube amp and a hybrid that won't bring your neighbours to the door every 5 minutes, you will also be able to compare them, and you get the versatility of the Vox and the sweet class A tube tone (remember to crank the VJ. to 3 o'clock or to full for sweet natural distortion, it sounds very much like Clapton on his older stuff).

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I can't speak for the Marshall, but I have heard lots of complaints regarding it's tone. The Vox is fantastic for the money. I think it sounds terrific, but use an external cab if you want to really take advantage of the amp.

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Uh oh. The Spud state is starting to make a showing on thefret.

The Vox with another cabinet is my suggestion.

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM
For versatility get the Vox, for the sweet Marshall tone that we all love get the Marshall. To be honest I do not like the Vox ADxxVT series, you should go to the store and try out the AD50VT then try out the AVT50, also do not forget to mess around with them a bit.

Edit: Be warned, those could get very loud since they respond like tube amps although they are hybrid, so they will sound best at higher volumes which may not happen if you’re playing at home so think if you really need 50w.

Secondly, the speaker on the Vox ADxxVT series is not that great, you will end up replacing it later on probably, another reason to get the AVT50 or you can get the AD30VT ($240) and the Epiphone Valve jr. combo ($100-140, varies in different stores) it will be good since you will have a true class A tube amp and a hybrid that won't bring your neighbours to the door every 5 minutes, you will also be able to compare them, and you get the versatility of the Vox and the sweet class A tube tone (remember to crank the VJ. to 3 o'clock or to full for sweet natural distortion, it sounds very much like Clapton on his older stuff).

Thanks guys for the input. I really don't need 50w. I was attracted to the versatility of the Vox as I am just getting started and like so many different sounds. Starting there, then getting another amp sometime may be the best bet. If I got the AD30VT, would it be enough to drive a different cabinet if I wanted to go that way, or am I better off spending the extra Hun or so to get more power and a bigger speaker to start with? Thanks guys, this place is awesome fun so far.

Steve

tot_Ou_tard
October 21st, 2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I really don't need 50w. I was attracted to the versatility of the Vox as I am just getting started and like so many different sounds. Starting there, then getting another amp sometime may be the best bet. If I got the AD30VT, would it be enough to drive a different cabinet if I wanted to go that way, or am I better off spending the extra Hun or so to get more power and a bigger speaker to start with? Thanks guys, this place is awesome fun so far.

Steve
Sun,

It's enough to drive a cab, but the AD30VT doesn't have speakers out capability (although it is not to hard to add one). Also, if you hang around here, you'll soon be itching to upgrade the speaker on the 30. The AD50VT has both a speaker out & a better speaker.

If you can afford it, follow Robert's advice & get a VOX head and a decent cab. Then you will have the maximum flexibility & the best sound.

BTW, there Valvetronix Amps & heads come in two flavors. The blue faced series and the chrome (AKA cheesegrater) series.

The differences are the following:

The blue faced series are more expensive, but they have more flexibility.
You have more models to choose from, you also have pedals and can independently choose from modulation, delay, and reverb menus.
You can store 96 patches.

The chrome faced series has fewer amp models, no pedal models, and you can only pick one effect at a time (some of the choices include two, but not all combinations are possible). You can only save two patches with this series.

On the other hand the AD/DA precision goes to the chrome series:

Blue face: 20 bit AD/DA
Chrome: 24 bit AD/DA

Also the I think that the line out/headphones out comes before the tube driven valve reactor on the chrome & after it on the blue faced. This will make a difference if you want to practice quietly with headphones.

I also believe (I'll have to go check) that the blue series has an effects loop in/out while the chrome does not.

Tinky-Winky
October 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Cranium, do you mean there's lots of bass breakup on the speaker?

Cranium
October 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Tinky what were you referring to exactly and what do you mean by "bass breakup"?

tot_Ou_tard
October 23rd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Tinky what were you referring to exactly and what do you mean by "bass breakup"?
Cranium, what do you mean by "exactly"?

Tinky-Winky
October 23rd, 2006, 07:02 AM
For example, on the Vox AD30VT, select the bassman emulation, turn the bass, volume and gain settings, and play the low E string. There should be quite a lot of bass breakup. I was curious as I was thinking of buying the valve junior but I do not like much (if any) bass breakup.

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
I can't speak for the Marshall, but I have heard lots of complaints regarding it's tone. The Vox is fantastic for the money. I think it sounds terrific, but use an external cab if you want to really take advantage of the amp.

Robert: I presume you have run your AD50VT through your Avatar cab, but have not found any write up. Have you done that and what were your impressions? Thanks, Steve

Robert
October 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
Yes, I have done that and the sound is much better. Mostly because the Avatar cab is so much better than the boxy combo cab of the AD50VT.

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
Yes, I have done that and the sound is much better. Mostly because the Avatar cab is so much better than the boxy combo cab of the AD50VT.

Exceeelllent! That is likely the direction I will pursue; start with the AD50VT and consider a cab such as yours later if I feel I need it. I will try out my buddy's AVT50, but unless it has tone that just blows me away, I will not go there as it does not meet the rest of my needs in terms of versatility, etc.

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I ran across this old thread and thought I would re-read it. It was my first post! For the record, I ended up getting neither of these amphs and got my Peavey Classic 30 which I love!