PDA

View Full Version : NGD. My 1st neck thru!

syo
September 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Just arrived and still laying in it's delivery box in our foyer. When I say "neck thru" I mostly mean "neck". I just got one of those Ministar Castar travel guitars. I'll be flying around quite a bit in the next few months and wanted something for my downtime in the hotels. Getting a little Roland UA-1G interface too so I can plug in to my laptop and record or play through my amp sims. Almost don't mind traveling now. Looking forward to trying the guitar out tonight :dude

Does anyone have one of these? "Castar" is the strat config model, "Lestar" is the LP, "Rockstar" is a P-90 and I think they also have Tele and bass models too.

Tig
September 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Cool! (if no pics, it didn't happen)

I'm considering a thru neck Agile 3000 soooooon...

syo
September 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Cool! (if no pics, it didn't happen)

I'm considering a thru neck Agile 3000 soooooon...
Alright Tig, it happened. proof here:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac147/syomo/castar_views.jpg
The Astroboy keychain (which came free with my bottle of green tea) is there for scale. However since you've no idea how big the keychain is, it's pretty useless... Neck is full scale with another 18cms extending past the fretboard. It also comes with attachments like arm and leg rests and upper horn strap button (not pictured).

I've only plunked on it for 10 minutes but that's long enough for a preliminary review:

Pros: Compact, adjustable, good sound, plays decent (though needs adjustment), cheap ($100 off ebay), and trem too!

Cons: Fretwork is pretty rough (smashed, unpolished fret ends. Also, upon removal from bag the high E string was actually trapped underneath one of the frets :nope ). "Owner's Manual" is one piece of paper (printed one side) with only a text description of how to fit the extension rods. Fortunately the internet has plenty of pics of the guitar assembled.

All in all, it's a keeper. It should serve it's function which is to be a cheap, portable, durable, playable travel guitar.

Rating: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: (3 out of 5 dead horses)

Tig
September 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM
Pretty cool lil' travel guitar. Take a fret file to it and you should be fine.

I'd name it, "Log"!
http://aaablogs.uoregon.edu/jeanelle/files/2010/07/LOG-ren-and-stimpy-1552749-500-400.jpeg

hubberjub
September 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
That's pretty cool. I've been looking for a good travel guitar.

bcdon
September 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'll be flying around quite a bit in the next few months and wanted something for my downtime in the hotels.

Does all this travel mean you'll be updating the status on your Hell Guitar thread? ;-) :dance

syo
September 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Does all this travel mean you'll be updating the status on your Hell Guitar thread? ;-) :dance

Actually don, yes it does! :D

otaypanky
September 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I'll be flying around quite a bit in the next few months and wanted something for my downtime in the hotels.

The new bedbug resurgence should keep you busy. You can use the log to whack 'em :spank

syo
September 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
The new bedbug resurgence should keep you busy. You can use the log to whack 'em :spank

Hadn't heard about that resurging bug thing. Not too fond of sharing beds with anyone/thing who's not the wife or the dachs. Is that happening only in the US? Hopefully not China or the UK (where I'm going). Geez, maybe I should pick up a travel bed as well...:zzz