PDA

View Full Version : In The Living Years

Robert
September 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
Remember Mike and the Mechanics?

This song is beautiful, especially just with piano and vocals. Paul Carrack has a wonderful voice.

I am sure many of us can relate to this song too. Brings a tear to my eye.

FsKJw1HIAt0&NR=1

Tig
September 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Wow. Very emotional performance. Wow.

The greatest music and musicians have a spiritual or emotional connection that becomes the song.

Katastrophe
September 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM
Love this tune. It's got a really powerful message, too.

Thanks for posting this!

Spudman
September 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
Nice find Robert. Paul of couse was "Tempted By the Fruit of Another" in The Squeeze. That's where I first heard of him. Then after Mike and the Mechanics he turned up on Roger Waters "The Wall Live In Berlin" concert movie. He's a great soulful singer.

Here is Paul in Berlin. This is one of my all time favorite concert movies. It includes The Band, Scorpions, Brian Adams, Tomas Dolby, Joni Mitchell, Snowy White, Andy Fairweather Lowe and Cindy Lauper. Great stuff!

yB6UpdTDdeg

Eric
September 22nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Nice version of that one. I actually kind of like Mike & the Mechanics.

Spudman
September 22nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Since Genesis no longer exists I wonder if Rutherford will get the Mechanics back together?

Robert
September 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
This is also an awesome tune. :)

-aFPKtJVBoU&NR=1

DeanEVO_Dude
September 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Nice find Robert. Paul of couse was "Tempted By the Fruit of Another" in The Squeeze. That's where I first heard of him. Then after Mike and the Mechanics he turned up on Roger Waters "The Wall Live In Berlin" concert movie. He's a great soulful singer.

I guess I am showing my age... Here he is singing with the band Ace, in 1974, with their hit single "How Long" ... Great tune!

FIK5F4zRN0Y

Tig
September 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
I guess I am showing my age... Here he is singing with the band Ace, in 1974, with their hit single "How Long" ... Great tune!

Now that was something I didn't know! I was a fan of Squeeze, but never made the connection. I remember the song well, because it was one of the better ones of the era.

Spudman
September 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
I guess I am showing my age... Here he is singing with the band Ace, in 1974, with their hit single "How Long" ...
:eek: Wow! I had no idea either. I never connected Paul with that band. Don't think of it as showing your age. Instead, just think of how brilliant you are to have known this.:agree

DeanEVO_Dude
September 23rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
:eek: Wow! I had no idea either. I never connected Paul with that band. Don't think of it as showing your age. Instead, just think of how brilliant you are to have known this.:agree

Awe!! Shucks! :notme
That song has been on my list of favs for a very, very long time. It cam out about 3 years before I discovered music, that was in 1977, and for the next 3 years there was much radio time (didn't have a TV durring that period), prety much shaped my musical tastes. Thankfully, I was able to avoid being swallowed up (completely) by disco! Steered mainly towards guitar-rock at the time.

Tig
September 23rd, 2010, 08:48 PM
I'm fortunate to still have my Dad. My wife lost her Mom several years ago, yesterday. In The Living Years was her Mom's favorite song, BTW.

I'm also fortunate to still have my grandfather who just turned 90. My wife and I drove a few hours and visited him yesterday after too many months of not seeing him (thanks to my wierd working hours). He and my Dad just happen to be the greatest humans I've ever known. They have more friends than they could ever count, which says quite a lot about them.

Edit: My grandfather had a 6th grade education, but worked his way up from paper boy to vice president in the city paper he worked at his whole life. His secret to success?
1. He is a fantastic listener.
2. His words about everything in life: "Always do more than expected or necessary. That little bit more makes all the difference in in everything you do."