PDA

View Full Version : Clapton Bound Tonight!!

warren0728
October 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Well today's the day...conner turn's 10 today and my wife and i are taking conner and his best friend to the clapton concert tonight! This will be his first major concert (we have gone to house of blues a couple of times to see buddy guy and bb king).

Should be a great show with robert cray opening for clapton and then having both derek trucks and doyle bramhall in claptons band!

Leaving in a couple of hours!!

later,
ww

tot_Ou_tard
October 20th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Yowza!! Enjoy.

mumble, mumble lucky little brats...;)

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Wow, that would be a kick *** concert I bet!

Mark
October 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Ive seen him many times and he has yet to dissappoint! Cant wait till they announce west coast dates. Clapton was the first concert my son ever saw we took him to get him on a proper musical track for his youg mind he was blown away. I hope you and yours enjoy it as much as we did.

Plank_Spanker
October 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
We need a full report! :D

Tone2TheBone
October 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Wow holy cow what an experience you're gonna have. Can't wait for your review. Have fun!

warren0728
October 21st, 2006, 08:09 AM
CLAPTON REVIEW

Well the Clapton show last night was fantastic. Both Patty and I agree that it was one of the best we have seen of him (and we have seen him several times).

Robert Cray was a great opening act. I had never seen him live before and he was tight and I liked his tone more than I have before….seemed a little more full. He played for 40 – 45 minutes. Conner and his buddy Conner (yep they have the same name with the same spelling!) enjoyed Cray but they were anxious to see Clapton!

From clapton’s opening number “Pretending” to the encore “Crossroads” the show was non-stop guitar heaven. Claptons got great tone out of his strat and the twin tweeds….he played straight into the amps with no effects at all (although I still prefer his 335 days!). He gave lots of solo time to both Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II. Of the 3… I think doyle was the weakest….although when he strapped on his les paul later in the show he seemed to come alive.

Derek got more applause than Clapton at times….words just can’t describe what a phenomenal player he is!

The acoustic set (or should I say semi acoustic as both trucks and doyle switched to electric after a couple of songs) started out with Key to the Highway and claptons acoustic playing was right on!

One of the highlights of the show for me was when eric, trucks and doyle all played slide on “Motherless Children”. Whole lot of slidey goodness going on there!! Wonderful Tonight (one of patty’s favorites) was incredible too! “I shot the Sheriff” was a crowd pleaser too!

The last 2 songs of the set were the two conner was looking forward to the most. Layla was incredible with trucks playing some killer slide…..the piano solo was great too at the change up. The final song (before the encore) was “Cocaine” . Again….terrific.

Robert Cray joined the band for the encore (he also played on a couple of songs during the show)….Crossroads….Great way to end the concert….

All in all the concert was one of his best. I would have like to here a few more “Derek and the Dominoes” hits but with the amount of material Clapton has put out over the years you can’t squeeze everything into the 2 ½ hours he played.

Conner and conner both had a great time at the show and were screaming and hollering and singing along at times (not to mention dancing in front of their seats on occasion too)! Everyone around us was getting a big kick out of them. I looked around and I think they were the youngest ones there.

Conner is now a huge Derek trucks fan and said he was his favorite!

It was not a cheap night out……

4 tickets - $470
3 t-shirts and a program - $125
The look on conner’s face during the show – PRICELESS

Not a bad way to spend your 10th birthday!

ww

Plank_Spanker
October 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM
Enviously green! :D

Sounds like an awesome show.

tot_Ou_tard
October 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
All in all the concert was one of his best. I would have like to here a few more “Derek and the Dominoes” hits

ww
Featuring Derek Trucks ;)

Wow! Excellent!

So how long 'till we see Conner n' Conner on the stage wowing the fans?