PDA

View Full Version : Blacked-out twice in as many days!!

bcdon
September 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Maybe I should see a doctor or something because guitars have caused me to blackout twice in as many days! :thumbsup

Exhibit 1: I just upgraded my Zakk Wylde Camo Epiphone LP from EMG-HZ to Seymour Duncan Blackouts; these pups are awesome!! :dude This is the first work I've done on a guitar by myself and it wasn't too bad at all. I did it over the course of two nights and 1.5 litres of vino.. I might have got it done in one night without the wine but where is the fun in that? :happy

http://i51.tinypic.com/2vn3os1.jpg

Exhibit 2: Last night I went to The Black Label Berzerkus 2010 featuring Black Label Society (http://www.blacklabelsociety.com/), Clutch (http://pro-rock.com/index.cfm), and Children of Bodom (http://www.cobhc.com/). What a kick-a-- concert!! I didn't get to mosh because they don't allow walkers on the floor! ;-) :poke

NWBasser
September 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
I thought that guitar sounded great with the EMGs in it. I can only imagine how it is now!:dude

Congrats Don!

Brian Krashpad
September 23rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
D'oh!

Ya got me on that'un, Don.

Glad you're OK.

Spudman
September 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
That's a great looking guitar with the maple fretboard.

The only cure for blacking out is...

MORE VOLUME! :rockon:

marnold
September 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Had me worried for a second there, bcdon. Sweet guitar though. Rev. Rawk approves.

bcdon
September 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
I thought that guitar sounded great with the EMGs in it. I can only imagine how it is now!:dude

Congrats Don!

It really sounds a lot better. That said, when I pulled the pups I noticed it had really poor grounds and soldering so those EMG-HZs aren't bad at all. However, I really like the blackouts. They sound great both squeaky clean and high-octane metal. On our next beer/guitar meetup you can put it to the test yourself. ;-)

syo
September 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Had me worried for a second there, bcdon. Sweet guitar though. Rev. Rawk approves.
Yeah, me too. Glad to hear that the blackouts were self induced!

Katastrophe
September 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Awesome, Don!

The guitar looks great, and I'll bet it sounds great, too.

I'll also bet the pit was rather filled with exuberant youthful activities!

bcdon
September 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the concern guys! I know I'm a tad melodramatic and -- as seen from other posts -- have a tendency towards hyperbole but it's all in good fun. Speaking of fun, back to black(out) I go! :digit

bcdon
September 23rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, me too. Glad to hear that the blackouts were self induced!

They most certainly are. I must have really enjoyed my mom shaking me as a kid because the thrill is still there. Just kidding. ;-)

bcdon
September 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Awesome, Don!

The guitar looks great, and I'll bet it sounds great, too.

I'll also bet the pit was rather filled with exuberant youthful activities!
The pits were a bit hectic but honestly, not too bad. That is one thing I've found about Canadians, they really don't get too wild at concerts; certainly nothing like this:
jqK_0BbZGJY

Eric
September 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Wow. I like how it's just suddenly a flood of people with one very confused guy who was wandering around.

The closest I've come to a mosh pit is at an Arctic Monkeys show, which was odd, since it was...the Arctic Monkeys. I think those teenagers needed to find some new music to which they can unleash their aggression.

Oh, and congrats on your pups. I was trying to sell my Godin Redline on Craigslist recently to free up some cash in my hobby account, but I took it out tonight and realized that I actually like it, as a lightweight practice guitar if nothing else. I put the EMG 85-X back in it (gotta love those quick EMG connections!) and realized that it does make a big difference.

...and I'm off topic. Anyway, congrats on the improved axe!

FrankenFretter
September 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Very nice there, buddy! I'll bet she sounds even sweeter. I love the way that thing plays, and with those pickups, you are centimeters away from being ZW himself! Rawk!

Oh, one question: You said the EMGs didn't have any tone caps. Did the Blackouts have caps with them, and if so, what values? Just curious.

Looking forward to playing that thing next time we meet up!

poodlesrule
September 24th, 2010, 05:40 AM
We knew beer was the official amp tube testing beverage of choice -see a fellow Fretter's post, a few months ago.

So, wine is the pickup-change official beverage, it seems.

Wow, writing this made me thirsty, and it's 7:45 a.m.!

bcdon
September 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Very nice there, buddy! I'll bet she sounds even sweeter. I love the way that thing plays, and with those pickups, you are centimeters away from being ZW himself! Rawk!

Oh, one question: You said the EMGs didn't have any tone caps. Did the Blackouts have caps with them, and if so, what values? Just curious.

Looking forward to playing that thing next time we meet up!
More like miles away, but hey, it's the journey that matters.

Yeah, the Blackouts have caps on the tone pots, I think they were 4.7uF, I'll double check tonight.

marnold
September 24th, 2010, 04:07 PM
qEWidc49nYQ