PDA

View Full Version : Introduction from Steve Thompson, Sun Valley, ID, USA

sunvalleylaw
October 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hi all. At SuperSwede's suggestion, I am posting an introduction. My name is Steve Thompson. I am new to the forum and just getting started in electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic for a while, and played piano before that. I am getting a Strat Standard 60th (the blizzard pearl one) for my first electric, and am shopping for my first amp. I was leaning toward the VoxAD50VT, but can get a very lightly used Marshall AVT50 from the guy who is selling me the strat, probably for about the same price as the Vox. I have a post regarding the amp on the amp page. My acoustic guitar is a kind of no name spruce top dreadnought called a "Joshua".

I am a 44 year old father of 3, pay the bills by being a solo lawyer, also coach kids in skiing and give private instruction. I live in Sun Valley because I love to do about anything outdoors, including skiiing, mountain biking, running/hiking, waterskiing, and so on.

I have a very broad and eclectic taste in music and "waste" lots of time listening and learning to play. I listen mostly to a mix of classic rock, blues, and punk/alternative, with some acoustic and jazz, esp. Coltrane era thrown in. I am currently in the midst of a Neil Young phase. On my acoustic, I have been working on Heart of Gold, Old Man, Hey, Hey, My, My, and am starting on "You and Me" I have spent a lot of time on Robert Renman's Dolphinstreet site and am working on his AC/DC lesson . . . sort of an AC/DC unplugged thing. :DR Also playing around with Sunshine of Your Love, trying to do a Clapton version with a Hendrix tempo. Really, just a Dad blowing off steam with the guitar. Anyway, enough rambling for now. Please feel free to email, etc. Thanks for letting me join in.

Cheers, Steve

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Welcome Steve! Good to hear you are "wasting" your time on my site ...:D

This is the place for guitaraholics of all ages and abilities. Enjoy!

About the amps - make sure you try both. Otherwise there's no way of knowing which one you would like better.

ted s
October 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Welcome Steve, you've come to the right place.

sunvalleylaw
October 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Welcome Steve! Good to hear you are "wasting" your time on my site ...:D

This is the place for guitaraholics of all ages and abilities. Enjoy!

About the amps - make sure you try both. Otherwise there's no way of knowing which one you would like better.

Robert: Any time I spend with your online lessons is hardly a waste!! Thanks!!

Hogfullofblues
October 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Hi Steve
I am also a newbie to guitar and this forum and hope u enjoy the folks and info here as much as I have and still am. We also share prior keyboard experience, as u can tell by my avatar ! :rolleyes:

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Steve. Hey, am I talking to myself?:confused:
I really enjoy thefret. I'm sure you will too.

Plank_Spanker
October 20th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Welcome, fellow "old dOOd"! :D

I'm pretty new here, myself. This board rocks!:DR

sunvalleylaw
October 20th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks all for the great welcome. I am having fun already!! Spudman, great to see another Iduhhhowin here. I am originally from Tacoma, WA and moved here in 98. Isn't DEVO from Idaho? What is your favorite Idaho guitar store? I like our local Ketchum store, and the Boise Old Town store seems cool.

Cheers,

Steve

tot_Ou_tard
October 20th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Welcome Sun Valley.

I used to ski at Sun Valley when I was a kid. It's been a long time though!

duhvoodooman
October 20th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Welcome, fellow "old dOOd"!
OLD???? You 40-somethings are just KIDS! I got ties in the closet older than you guys! ;)

Welcome, Steve. You'll like it here, I'm sure. No better bunch of guys to talk guitars, amps & associated paraphernalia with....

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks all for the great welcome. I am having fun already!! Spudman, great to see another Iduhhhowin here. I am originally from Tacoma, WA and moved here in 98. Isn't DEVO from Idaho? What is your favorite Idaho guitar store? I like our local Ketchum store, and the Boise Old Town store seems cool.

Cheers,

Steve

The Old Boise store is where Mike Stone of Queensryche just bought his new Gretsch Electromatic. (see Queensryche post)

kerc
October 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Welcome, Steve! You'll love this place... :D

tot_Ou_tard
October 20th, 2006, 07:36 PM
OLD???? You 40-somethings are just KIDS! I got ties in the closet older than you guys! ;)

Yeah we're old.

You are closer to decrepit :D :p ;)

Whatz'a tie?!?

oldguy
October 20th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Welcome, Sun!:D
BTW, fellas.
I was born in 1954.
DuhVoodooMan...
Did you know there's a new program where you can exchange 12 old neckties for 4 new Dunlop picks?:D
For the youngsters...Definitions...
A "tie" is where both parties win, no'one loses.
Q.
What's a decrepit? Is that one of those French pastries?
Glenn

Tone2TheBone
October 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Welcome Steve from another 40something!

tot_Ou_tard
October 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM
What's a decrepit? Is that one of those French pastries?
Glenn
Yes, but Congress passed a law and renamed'em Freedom Geezers.

It's off t'war ya' go!

duhvoodooman
October 21st, 2006, 05:25 AM
BTW, fellas.
I was born in 1954.
Uh-oh. I go back to '51. Do I have to change my forum ID to "olderguy"??

Katastrophe
October 21st, 2006, 06:33 AM
Welcome, sunvalleylaw!

Enjoy! This is a great place, with good people who have a genuine love of music in general, and the guitar in particular.:D

Nelskie
October 21st, 2006, 07:17 AM
No better bunch of guys to talk guitars, amps & associated paraphernalia with....
Your honor, I'd like to have the paraphrenelia comment stricken from the record. My client has been under the influence of a tube volume attenuator for the last two weeks, and hasn't been thinking quite clearly . . . ;)

Seriously, welcome to the fray, Steve. Lots of us 40-somethings lurking around FN - you'll fit right in. If you're working on Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love", might I suggest that acquaint yourself witht he forum's search feature by typing in "woman tone".

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM
Welcome aboard Steve .. take a seat in the front , look foreward to reading your posts and on behalf of the young man from ND his youthfull exuberance is more than compensated for by his single minded Tone Search ... 6S9L

Iago
October 23rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Wazzup Steeeve! Be welcome here man!!

Tim
October 25th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Hi Steve and welcome to the Fret Net. I believe that you will find out that most members here are older than some would like to admit. I am 50 something, but closer to a 60 something in reality. I still consider myself new to playing guitar. If you have questions this is the place to be. The answers from the other members will be honest, and the “real thing’ from experienced players. I have been a member for 1 year as of this month. I learned more from this forum than I have since I started playing the guitar 4 years ago. Once more welcome!

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Hi Steve and welcome to the Fret Net. I believe that you will find out that most members here are older than some would like to admit. I am 50 something, but closer to a 60 something in reality. I still consider myself new to playing guitar. If you have questions this is the place to be. The answers from the other members will be honest, and the “real thing’ from experienced players. I have been a member for 1 year as of this month. I learned more from this forum than I have since I started playing the guitar 4 years ago. Once more welcome!

Thanks Tim, and everyone else for the continued welcome. It is really, really nice to receive such kind support. I am really not too concerned about the age thing, it was just informational, although it did start some fun comments. I am having a great time so far and am learing a lot already. Looking forward to actually being able to contribute as well. Thanks, and cheers for now. :DR

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2016, 04:24 PM
BUMP!! Seeing as it is now 10 freaking years since I joined this place, pretty much near the very beginning of my playing guitar, I thought I would pop in and say happy anniversary to me! I am still playing, still have my first guitar and amp, which I purchased after lurking and learning here for the guitar, and the amp after hanging here a bit.

Anyways, hope all you guys are well!

And Happy Halloween!

tjcurtin1
October 31st, 2016, 06:30 PM
Hey, congrats, Steve - this made me check, and I am a few months behind you... Yikes, sure doesn't feel like that long, but this has always been such a relaxed and friendly place to hang out - I've never gotten into any other git forums. There are still a few of us here from years back, but looking at your re-post brought some friendly folks to mind who haven't been heard from in a long time. Anyways, keep on playing!

Ted

Jimi75
November 1st, 2016, 02:20 AM
Congrats, Steve! 10 years, what a long time and so many great posts by you!
By the way, I've checked my date - was 10 years in August this year...

Robert
November 1st, 2016, 09:50 AM
Happy Anny! Can't believe how time flies... too bad we don't have the forum activity we used to have.

Cheers anyway!

stingx
November 1st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Forums are passe, Robert. Shame. I'm coming up on 10 years myself next month. FESTIVAL!

Robert
November 3rd, 2016, 07:59 PM
Then what are we doing here?

stingx
November 4th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Then what are we doing here?

You know what I mean, Robert. Most forums all took a nose dive in the last 5-6 years. A couple more of my favorites just closed after more than a decade. I believe the forum format has been replaced by social media and, especially, social media on mobile devices. It makes me sad, actually.

Robert
November 4th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah, it's sad. Let's not give up ay!

tjcurtin1
November 5th, 2016, 08:02 PM
I'm not a smartphone or anti-social - oops, I meant social media user. So I'm happy to be here at the Fret. Is there some reason, though, that a forum is less accessible on a phone/device than, say, Facebook? I'm also a beekeeper, and note that one of the bee forums that I visit is fairly quiet and the other quite busy (actually, I prefer the quieter one). What format do guitar or other special interest sites appear in that is popular now if not a forum? Sorry to be asking dopey questions...

Tig
November 8th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Steve! :dance

:p